Getting the best sound out of the Zune "nanos" (8gb)
Jan 6, 2010 at 5:56 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 6

bjaardker

1000+ Head-Fier
I'm doing most of my listening right now is using my 8gb Zune. (I had a 30gb, but the screen cracked and LCDs were far too costly at the time).

I love the size and portability of the 8gb, but after getting a set of Porta-Pros, and now a set of TF-10s, I'm wondering if there is something I can/should do to improve my source device.

I've heard that since the Zune HD doesn't have a line out, there isn't much benefit from the cheaper (read: less than $50) amps. Does this apply to the 8gb Zunes as well?

I've also seen some talk about people using impedance adaptors with their TF-10s. Is this something I could/should do with the Zune 8gb as a source?

Finally, in lieu of spending anything to make the 8gb a better sound experience, should I just start saving for a Zune HD? I'm ok with the capacity of the 8gb. The lack of EQ on the 8gb doesn't bother me since IMHO the presets on the HD suck. And I've already got a smartphone that does all of the app/internet things the HD offers. So if the recommendation is an upgrade, is there a noticeable difference sonically and if so why?

I would ask that recommendations stay within the Zune lineup. I'm hopelessly addicted to Zune Pass, and unless another DAP can play DRM'd WMAs or has an "all you can eat" subscription service, I"m just not interested.

Thanks in advance for your assistance!
basshead.gif

Jan 6, 2010 at 8:25 PM Post #3 of 6
Sandisk, Cowon, Creative and WinMo devices are compatible with Zune Pass if you sync the devices with Windows Media Player

Jan 7, 2010 at 2:19 AM Post #5 of 6
yes, it uses PFS.

Jan 8, 2010 at 12:09 AM Post #6 of 6
So back to the actual question/s at hand since it will be a while before I can afford a Cowon S9. Should I be looking to improve the quality of sound from my Zune 8GB? Or are the diminishing returns at the point where it's not worth spending the $$ on an amp or impedence adaptor for it?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back