Getting the best sound out of a PC
Nov 19, 2013 at 4:36 AM Post #16 of 19
 Don't let the idea of noisy internal cards scare you, the Essence (and other high end cards) is shielded and is totally quiet.

Three weeks ago I switched from my Essence STX to an external DAC/Amp and I noticed the drop in the background noise (to zero background noise).

Nov 19, 2013 at 6:13 AM Post #17 of 19
  Three weeks ago I switched from my Essence STX to an external DAC/Amp and I noticed the drop in the background noise (to zero background noise).

In exactly what configuration was the Essence STX audibly noisy even with nothing playing ? It can be noisy with some sensitive low impedance headphones (with which it is not recommended to be used), with an external amplifier if there is a ground loop, or with bad settings like 16-bit software volume control or non-muted microphone input. Otherwise, it should not be noisy if there is no hardware problem. I do not hear any noise at all with my DT770-250, which has about optimal impedance/sensitivity for this card, and, being closed and reasonably well isolating, should make it easy to hear any hiss.

Nov 19, 2013 at 11:08 AM Post #18 of 19

In exactly what configuration was the Essence STX audibly noisy even with nothing playing ? It can be noisy with some sensitive low impedance headphones (with which it is not recommended to be used), with an external amplifier if there is a ground loop, or with bad settings like 16-bit software volume control or non-muted microphone input. Otherwise, it should not be noisy if there is no hardware problem. I do not hear any noise at all with my DT770-250, which has about optimal impedance/sensitivity for this card, and, being closed and reasonably well isolating, should make it easy to hear any hiss.

Can't really remember under what exact situation I would have background noise, with the STX.
As it was not really something I would pay attention to, it was a very minor (electrical) noise that really did not do bother me. I would only notice it when there was no audio playing. And it did not play a part in any of my reasons for getting the 15.32, or stop me from using an Essence STX in the future.

Nov 22, 2013 at 1:20 AM Post #19 of 19
I hear absolute silence with the Xonar on my HE-400s no matter what I do. With my old HT Omega card I had noise from the neighboring network card, but the Xonar is dead silent even if I crank up the volume. If I switched it to high gain I might hear something, but that kind of volume would be ear shattering so that's not a realistic scenario to test for noise

Users who are viewing this thread

Back