Getting into Head-fi!
Jun 1, 2013 at 6:02 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 32

FredrikT92

500+ Head-Fier
Hello

I have recently moved into an apartment so I cant play loud music anymore :frowning2:
Therefore i'd like to get into head-fi! I've tryed to read around on this, and pretty much decided to get Audeze LCD-2's, and most likly a WOO Audio WA7 AMP/DAC.
 Since i'm new to head-fi id like your guys opinion on that setup before I burn a hole in my pocket :D I have a budget around 2500-3000, but the cheaper the better ofcourse. 

Thank you
Best Regards
Fredrik

Jun 1, 2013 at 6:10 AM Post #2 of 32
HE-6 and a Pass Labs amp should be around the 3k mark.

LCD3 with an amp of your choice.

HD800 with a valve amp.

BTW what are your musical preferences and how do you prefer your sound i.e midrangish or bass heavy or flat.

Jun 1, 2013 at 6:12 AM Post #3 of 32
I listen to alot of house/club/disco/electro, probably around 80% of the time I listen to such genre's. I like pretty bass heavy, but not too much ofcourse. 

Oh the LCD3 work good with the WA7?

Jun 1, 2013 at 6:24 AM Post #4 of 32
Should be good. The Audeze thread will give you a better idea.
The HE6 is pretty good for your tastes but the Audeze seems to have a deeper bass. I personally feel that the HE6 sounds very electrostatic while the Audeze seems to have a dynamic sound.

Jun 1, 2013 at 6:31 AM Post #5 of 32
Yes, the LCD3's are really expensive thought. So I have to say i'm more interested in the LCD2 and HE6 then. I find choosing amp/dac the hardest, but I read very good things about the WA7, which also is a DAC!
I got an uncle who's very into HiFi, and he got a Buffalo DAC for me, which means I could save a good amount of bucks. But I dont know... Have you guys heard about Buffalo DACs? Its some sort of DIY I think. 

Aug 10, 2013 at 11:42 AM Post #7 of 32
I have no ideas about any High end Audio gear, but all my life I've lived where I couldn't use headphones. And I've rather enjoyed working my way up to high end cans. What did you have for speakers? 

My suggestions though is you might not enjoy or appreciate high end headphones till you've heard the changes from low to high. I know that as time progresses even I appreciate what I have even more. I get more farmilliar more able to identify and enjoy the details of my modest Mid level cans. I certianly don't think I could jump right into a TH900 and grasp the superior level of detail it offers without the experince I have now and will gain over time.  I know I've grown to like a cleaner and cleaner sound over time, I'm sure that if I had a pair of w1000x a year ago I would have still enjoye'd my XB 700s more lol

But I'm only 19 so who knows... you could have much more Audio experince than I do. But I'd just hate to see some one drop 3000 into a rig and not like. 

Aug 10, 2013 at 11:48 AM Post #8 of 32
Hey guys!

I have gotten myself Burson The Conductor and LCD2s
This thread can be closed! 

Aug 10, 2013 at 11:54 AM Post #9 of 32
Quote:
Hey guys!

I have gotten myself Burson The Conductor and LCD2s
This thread can be closed! 

Nah before you close it, how did you enjoy them! 

Aug 10, 2013 at 12:04 PM Post #10 of 32
I enjoy them alot! Very satisfied with the sound. However, I find the headband uncomfertable after awhile, which requires me to move them a little. I hope this go away after some time, if not I will purchase the vegan headband!  And I will buy a USB interface to get better sound from the conductor. 

Aug 10, 2013 at 12:08 PM Post #12 of 32
Quote:
I enjoy them alot! Very satisfied with the sound. However, I find the headband uncomfertable after awhile, which requires me to move them a little. I hope this go away after some time, if not I will purchase the vegan headband!  And I will buy a USB interface to get better sound from the conductor. 

Very nice, I'm happy to hear that! Headphone comfort is something you'll never need to learn about lol, living every day is enough experince to know what kind of comfort you like.

Nice pairing a Solid State with that LCD 2 as well. Happy to hear you enjoy it! Maybe one day I'll be at the level as well xD 

Aug 10, 2013 at 1:05 PM Post #13 of 32

Which interface are you thinking about?

Aug 10, 2013 at 1:09 PM Post #14 of 32
Quote:

just try and bend the headband out more, they eventually become more comfortable over time.

and the LCD-2 and Conductor is one hell of a combo, very good sound! what usb interface are you looking at?

Aug 10, 2013 at 1:19 PM Post #15 of 32
It gets little uncomfertable at the top of my head, like right with the 2 middle pillows. 

I'm looking at the Audiophilleo 2 and Audiobytes Hydra X. I have to read a little more before I decide tho. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back