Getting "called-out" for not wearing the Beats
Jan 26, 2012 at 9:03 AM Post #4,141 of 5,506

Quote:
Wait what?
How comes!?

I swear both of them were making enough money?

I don't know the details,but there was some kind of dispute between the two.Now monster has focused on releasing all new headphone models which look like **** to me.Some of them look like you need a matching outfit to make the headphones look good...

Quote:
Science can hold many assertions in regards to facts and such..but it doesn't always cover every single aspect. Going back to headphones here, this could be analogous to the whole lower and sub-sonic frequencies. As stated before, human hearing is within the 20hz-20KHZ frequency.. correct?  Yet, sound engineers, audiophiles, professional musicians attest and swear that while the science may hold truth, adding the sub frequency notes actually adds to the whole spectrum of sound; somehow makes it fuller, better and more real and 3 dimensional sounding.  And this isn't me stating this, this is a wide consensus...   Is that Placebo as-well?

Shotor's anti-science sentiments just don't work. Honestly I find it offensive when people who know nothing about what they're saying (like Shotor who "is going to be a psychologist"... but presumably isn't yet) put down science saying things like "Science doesn't know the answer!" I used to say the same thing, until I actually learned what I was talking about and realized how ignorant what I was saying was.

You can say science doesn't know everything, in the sense that there are unanswered questions, but that's very different from saying science doesn't know what it claims to know.

On the matter of 20hz-20khz, there are absolutely scientific reasons why frequencies outside this range can contribute to the sound perceptible by humans even though the general hearing range is smaller (at least for the general population). However such explanations involve math and/or science, and anyone here who knows enough of it probably doesn't need to have it explained anyway.

Anyway on the topic of placebo, if you think you can tell when it's working on you or not, then I don't think you know what placebo is. By definition, placebo seems indistinguishable from reality. In fact, placebo works even if you KNOW at the time that what you are experiencing is placebo. It's like in the cartoons when the character runs off the cliff and hovers mid-air, until they realize that's not supposed to happen and then fall down -- with placebo when you realize you're hovering in mid-air, you still won't fall down.

While I agree saying "Science doesn't know what it claims to know" is a daring and most times @sshole-ish thing to say,it can be true sometimes.
Like how Newton had his three laws but Einstein disproved them(granted they are still true,but only under set conditions) or how Einstein stated nothing could move faster than the speed of light but modern scientist managed to disprove that too(don't know the details on that though).
Well,what I'm saying is,sometimes science doesn't know what it thinks it does cuz humans are involved,and we make mistakes.

On the 20hz-20khz thing,you're absolutely right.This range may be a human's audible hearing range but that doesn't mean the other frequencies outside this range can't be felt right?

Can't remember when I knew I was under the placebo effect though.. :\

Jan 26, 2012 at 9:05 AM Post #4,142 of 5,506

Quote:
Quote:

He just said thanks and waked away to class lol
It was weird because he was using a E5 with his Beats...can't really see how that would change anything though =/

You never said "Let's try each others' headphones man,see how they sound!" or would that be as awkward as saying "Let's trade pants and see how they feel!"? >_>

Jan 26, 2012 at 9:20 AM Post #4,143 of 5,506
Oh wow:
http://www.businessweek.com/magazine/beats-electronics-is-breaking-up-with-monster-01122012.html?campaign_id=rss_null

That is news indeed.

Monster don't have the earphone market that's for sure, and their beats line was what drove them in being so successful with teenagers, mainly due to the fact that it was "made by dr dre"
I see a heavy decline in "market share" and popularity for the Monster's new line of products

I don't see "beats" doing that well either, their main force was the headphones, and now with that literally out the window, they want to concentrate on their "secondary markets"?

Both have made a fatal decision IMO.

Now what really interests me is warranties.
If someone would buy a beats pro, who is the one fixing it or "replacing it"?

Now that should make people thinking

Jan 26, 2012 at 9:28 AM Post #4,145 of 5,506
While I agree saying "Science doesn't know what it claims to know" is a daring and most times @sshole-ish thing to say,it can be true sometimes.
Like how Newton had his three laws but Einstein disproved them(granted they are still true,but only under set conditions) or how Einstein stated nothing could move faster than the speed of light but modern scientist managed to disprove that too(don't know the details on that though).
Well,what I'm saying is,sometimes science doesn't know what it thinks it does cuz humans are involved,and we make mistakes.

I know you don't have bad intentions, but your example is a perfect proof of my point. Science DOES know what it claims to know (except in the rare case of stupid scientists), it's just that most people don't have a grasp of what science claims to know. I think the world would do a lot better if everyone had mandatory philosophy-of-science classes (and advanced math classes - but I'm biased I guess).

Einstein did NOT disprove Newton's laws of physics, but rather expanded on a more complete theory that provided explanations for things Newton already knew his laws didn't cover. Newton's laws covered a lot of things and satisfactorily predicted a lot of interactions, however some things were well known to be anomolous. Einsteins physics cover even more things satisfactorily, but there are STILL some things that are anomolous under them, and many things that it just doesn't work at all for. There are other laws and theories for various levels of physics. Physics is currently a lot of approximations attempting to model the real world. Saying Einstein disproved Newton is like saying "PI ~= 3.14159 disproves PI ~= 3.14". No, they're all just different levels of precision in approximating the same thing.

They're all wrong and they're all right at the same time -- but the key is defining the domain of where you know beyond any doubt that you're right. In the case of PI, you say "PI is 3.14 +- 0.01" and that statement suddenly becomes correct. This is science - quantifying and defining your domain of certainty. In the case of the laws of physics, it's not so easy to explain the domain of certainty and would take pages of text -- but trust me -- you can most certainly define this domain, because if you couldn't, the technological world as we know it would collapse.

FYI there is certainly the desire to find the "ultimate" set of laws to the universe. Theories like string theory / M-theory are attempts at this, but it still has a long way to go. Every experimental observation must be confirmed by a "theory of everything", and every mathematically predicted effect of such a theory must be experimentally confirmable. A lot of research is being done with observations of "dark matter" lately, which is quite interesting IMO. In any case, we're a long way off from knowing "everything" about the universal laws of physics if such a thing is possible, but in any case we don't need to know everything to know something.

Also, yes, scientists make mistakes all the time. But the whole point is that over time with lots of really smart people making careful observations etc., the probability of such mistakes within a given domain becomes incredibly low, and approaches 0 very rapidly. For example, scientists could be completely wrong about how electricity works, but the chances of all electricity in the world tomorrow just spontaneously failing to work is so low it would take several libraries of books filled with 0's like this: "0.000000000 ... 00001 % chance".

> On the 20hz-20khz thing,you're absolutely right.This range may be a human's audible hearing range but that doesn't mean the other frequencies outside this range can't be felt right?

That was my point. Scientists know you can "hear" below 20 hz, and they know you can "hear" above 20khz, just not consciously. Above your natural hearing range you can't usually hear anything, but the frequency components can contribute to the articulation of the sound wave resulting in a more detailed and precise sound. 

Jan 26, 2012 at 9:38 AM Post #4,147 of 5,506
Quote:
You never said "Let's try each others' headphones man,see how they sound!" or would that be as awkward as saying "Let's trade pants and see how they feel!"? >_>

Well it was right before classes started, and I don't think he would have understood because I've seen him with the Studios as well xD

Jan 26, 2012 at 9:47 AM Post #4,148 of 5,506

Quote:
I don't know the details,but there was some kind of dispute between the two.Now monster has focused on releasing all new headphone models which look like **** to me.Some of them look like you need a matching outfit to make the headphones look good...

On the 20hz-20khz thing,you're absolutely right.This range may be a human's audible hearing range but that doesn't mean the other frequencies outside this range can't be felt right?

Can't remember when I knew I was under the placebo effect though.. :\

Newton's Law is still valid in a huge range of faithfulness, just when you start dealing with very small particles you have to take into account stuff you didn't before. We know our theories aren't right, and it's even possible to measure how wrong we are numerically! Like if you measure a tennis ball's movement, you can come up with an equation that will predict where it will hit next. The thing is, a tennis ball has trillions of atoms, so that mistake doesn't matter. When you're trying to find out where an electron will hit next, you have to consider every little thing. I'm sorry if I'm preaching something you already knew.

And although it is true the biggest theory on this seemed to be wrong, in terms of measuring sound and how our body receives and perceives it, we can be sure our measurements are correct. We're bigger than electrons, after all =)

Jan 26, 2012 at 3:13 PM Post #4,151 of 5,506

Quote:
the funny thing is, ochocinco said on twitter that he would never buy beats.  these were a gift from dre himself.

Now thing i don't get apart form the marketing, why not give the guy at least the beats pros?

Why is he wearing the studios with $15,000 worth of gold on there? (yes google is good to me)

Jan 26, 2012 at 4:31 PM Post #4,152 of 5,506

Quote:

the funny thing is, ochocinco said on twitter that he would never buy beats.  these were a gift from dre himself.

Ya, you know why...the more people (stars and public figures) that wear them, the MORE phones he will sell

They are all over campus, I heard a story of someone being murdered for their BEATZ...HOW F'ING SAD!

Jan 26, 2012 at 4:37 PM Post #4,153 of 5,506
well. we wont have to worry about them for much longer after Beats and Monster's contract come to an end.

I think the way people act, because they have beats, is what i hate about the headphones. Beats owners act as if they are gifts from higher powers.
Its so damned annoying.

Jan 26, 2012 at 5:52 PM Post #4,155 of 5,506
To be fair I really don't like the argument against the beats on the grounds of their build quality. I think that that is a perfectly valid argument, BUT I think it's foolish to use as your argument because it's also the easiest to brush off:

"I treat my Beats gently and have owned them for a year without problem" IS a valid thing to say. Then you lose the argument (until theirs breaks from normal wear in the future, but that won't help your argument NOW)

The argument should be about sound quality for the price.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back