Getting "called-out" for not wearing the Beats
Jan 25, 2012 at 7:30 PM Post #4,096 of 5,506

Quote:
No where in that article does there show there is a difference. All it said was people "preferred" one over another, and never did it correlate with price. There was no where in that article that said what people saw was actually a difference. Look at these 2 pictures, which one do you prefer? 

A)

B)

You might prefer A and I might prefer B. That's pretty much what they did. They proved nothing. They managed to prove you can write a 4 page article attempting to prove something, and not prove anything. 

And there is no difference in those pictures, btw. Even when looking at the same EXACT thing, you can perceive differences. Your brain is very good at doing that very thing. 

I agree with you - but not that they are indifferent 
A is more vivid, b is less so

That might not be down to cable quality - but mainly due to screen settings, such as saturation, gamma, colour, and also that of the actual photo itself - if it was taken with slightly different settings

But video, is less like audio

When u see an image with maybe not as much colour and sharpness as the other, most would prefer the same image.

With audio:
When you might prefer a lot of mids and highs, I might dislike it completely 

(I know u didn't mention this, but I thought it was worth pointing out)

Jan 25, 2012 at 7:57 PM Post #4,097 of 5,506
Don't bother with armchair audio engineers, they know all, who cares about studies. That poorly shielded, fraying HDMI is equally as good as the copper conducted twined solid conductor HDMI for $30. Of course. I mean, who cares what THX and ISF say? They only do this for a living. Who cares what people who do image related things for a living when the armchair engineer knows better than the audio/video engineer who took college courses for.it and sets his living off of.it. Or a company who puts thousands into R&D, why bother when you can just sell that .10 cable and totally rip everyone? I mean, they want to make money, so why even develop it? People on the internet are stupid.

Jan 25, 2012 at 8:01 PM Post #4,098 of 5,506

Quote:
Don't bother with armchair audio engineers, they know all, who cares about studies. That poorly shielded, fraying HDMI is equally as good as the copper conducted twined solid conductor HDMI for $30. Of course. I mean, who cares what THX and ISF say? They only do this for a living. Who cares what people who do image related things for a living when the armchair engineer knows better than the audio/video engineer who took college courses for.it and sets his living off of.it. Or a company who puts thousands into R&D, why bother when you can just sell that .10 cable and totally rip everyone? I mean, they want to make money, so why even develop it? People on the internet are stupid.

I think this was less about 30 dollar cables being a rip and more anything more expensive than that being a rip

Jan 25, 2012 at 8:52 PM Post #4,099 of 5,506
I did get called out once I let someone borrow a pair of headphones and they said are these beats? I was like naw well later that day I had the incredible displeasure to try the solo hd beats from a friend... I can honestly without a doubt say that the skull candy 2xl that can be bought for about $10 sound almost the same with the same bass not to mention the build quality is the same besides the fact that on the solo hd the extension guide is metal other than that they are pretty much the same it was very unpleasant event and now that I think about it the 2xl sound better than the solo hd... What a suprise. I think 90% of the people who own beats are arrogant and definitely ignorant such a shame beyer and aka and denon don't have the marketing monster does... If they did the world would be a much better place to live.

Jan 25, 2012 at 9:04 PM Post #4,100 of 5,506

Quote:
Can we at least stay in the realm of headphone-related topics? 

With that being said, there is absolutely no difference between HDMI cables for the majority of people. I can guess 5 in 100 people would say they could tell a difference if they were told which cable was the more expensive cable. 1 in 100 would say they could see a difference if they weren't told which was which at all. 

Placebo effect at its finest, gentlemen. 

Quote:
One big thing we need to settle here: there is a huge difference between someone seeing a difference and there being a scientifically logical difference. I would say in that situation, Shotor, placebo effect wasn't as existent as I might have thought. But even if the entire Head-Fi reports "night and day" differences between USB cables, it will mean nothing to me compared to a scientific study on USB data transmission. We shouldn't be thinking "well only very few people notice this difference", what needs to be asked is "is there even a difference?". First we understand if it's even physically possible to exist a difference between 2 cables in terms of data reception and decoding, and then we'll worry about wether we can see/hear that difference. In this case, I'm afraid there isn't a difference in decoding, so any change we notice is inside us (that sounded nasty). Human perception is the last tool I'd pick when trying to prove something.

I'll re-post this as 1. It's relevant to ^ discussion(the wine discussion for example around 32:00) and 2. I find it interesting

http://fora.tv/2009/06/01/The_Drunkards_Walk_Leonard_Mlodinow

Jan 25, 2012 at 9:06 PM Post #4,101 of 5,506

Quote:

Since we're on a low rhetorical point, you're saying your 150$ 1's and 0's have better soundstage than my 10$ Radio Shack ones, right? Because if we're going to be silly, it's on.

Jan 25, 2012 at 11:58 PM Post #4,109 of 5,506
Happens around college most of the time.  I don't blame them.  Monster is a genius when it comes to marketing.  Practically every rapper has music videos where they are paid to use the headphones by Monster.  I even saw some Asian music videos where the members are paid by Monster to use their headphones.. You can't say people don't do research.  They just do the very minimal research.  For example, CNET gives the Beats Studios the same rating they give the Sennheiser HD598 which I find TOTAL BULL.

To be fair to Monster, their headphones are very ergonomic.  The studio headphones come with a strong wire, a detachable cable, a really nice collapsing mechanism, and sound as intended without an amp (which can be inconvenient to carry).

College kids are the main target of Monster and they know it.  It just annoys me when people who own Beats headphones complain about not getting enough financial aid or when they seriously think those headphones will help them pick up girls (you're really going to spend 300$ on a slight chance a girl will notice?) or when they think Beats are good just because the bass is good or that it makes them look rich/classy. In fact, so many people have these headphones that most of the girls I know find it overdone and makes the guy look like a try-hard.

What is it about this new generation that judges people by what they own instead of what they do?

Jan 26, 2012 at 12:22 AM Post #4,110 of 5,506
Because we have replaced things like honor, courage, and respect with "who owns what stuff". Welcome to the world of the superficial.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back