Getting "called-out" for not wearing the Beats
Oct 29, 2011 at 5:24 PM Post #2,551 of 5,506
Seems like the guy comparing the Pro900's to the XB1000's prefers the XB's.. I guess it's personal taste when it comes to that. Myself I'd prefer sub-sonic bass levels with smooth highs as opposed to the brilliant highs and smooth bass. But that's just me.  Though, one thing to be mentioned, both XB1000's and the Pros benefit greatly from amping, which makes them a poor (well harsh wording) choice for portable use. 
I'm definitely going to pick up the 1000's once they become available in North-America. I had the XB500's, but even with equing, they still lacked definition. Bass was orgasmic though, this I can't stress enough.. very boomy, very deep and smooth at the same time..

As for the other question before about the Grado PS500's.. They seemed to be geared towards General listening from what I could tell. They would definitely do justice to any music by any means. I wouldn't use them for monitoring or for the Studio or even DJing, rather for relax time with my iphone + portable amp.. or watching a movie or streaming media on the PC.  Definitely not for portable use, and despite being very detailed, I would not suggest them for monitoring.  They are definitely not as bright as the 320's/220s' 80's or 60's, more forward if anything, and definitely bassier (but not Bass-Heavy) rather reliably reproduced. When I heard the 220s/320's I wasn't impressed when compared to the Shure SRH440, but the PS500's.. Man, they're fun.. yes, Grado actually managed to pull off a fun headphone..

For soundwise, general listening and just all around fun headphones, I'd take the PS500's over the HD800 anyday.. But.. for comfort, critical listening and close monitoring.. if I had the money to burn, then the Sennheiser HD800 no questions asked... Then again, budget comes into play pretty much most of the time.. otherwise we wouldn't have these debates.. so for the budget conscious people, save yourself the $1200 and get the Shure SRh940's. They're way underpriced when it comes to quality of sound and built... but again, keep in mind, not for portable use.. Trust me when I say this, the Shure SRH440's sounded better on my iphone alone than the PS500/940 and the HD800   And for a $100.00 retail + $20 for the 840 pads.. it's a steal.

Oct 30, 2011 at 1:52 AM Post #2,553 of 5,506

Behold... The PS500's above

and the HD800's below...

As I said... Visually and aesthetically .. Unsurpassed...
but for $1500.00 I simply didn't hear it..  Let's hope I'm wrong.. because they look Boss.

Oct 30, 2011 at 4:46 AM Post #2,554 of 5,506

Quote:
Seems like the guy comparing the Pro900's to the XB1000's prefers the XB's.. I guess it's personal taste when it comes to that. Myself I'd prefer sub-sonic bass levels with smooth highs as opposed to the brilliant highs and smooth bass. But that's just me.  Though, one thing to be mentioned, both XB1000's and the Pros benefit greatly from amping, which makes them a poor (well harsh wording) choice for portable use. 
I'm definitely going to pick up the 1000's once they become available in North-America. I had the XB500's, but even with equing, they still lacked definition. Bass was orgasmic though, this I can't stress enough.. very boomy, very deep and smooth at the same time..

As for the other question before about the Grado PS500's.. They seemed to be geared towards General listening from what I could tell. They would definitely do justice to any music by any means. I wouldn't use them for monitoring or for the Studio or even DJing, rather for relax time with my iphone + portable amp.. or watching a movie or streaming media on the PC.  Definitely not for portable use, and despite being very detailed, I would not suggest them for monitoring.  They are definitely not as bright as the 320's/220s' 80's or 60's, more forward if anything, and definitely bassier (but not Bass-Heavy) rather reliably reproduced. When I heard the 220s/320's I wasn't impressed when compared to the Shure SRH440, but the PS500's.. Man, they're fun.. yes, Grado actually managed to pull off a fun headphone..

For soundwise, general listening and just all around fun headphones, I'd take the PS500's over the HD800 anyday.. But.. for comfort, critical listening and close monitoring.. if I had the money to burn, then the Sennheiser HD800 no questions asked... Then again, budget comes into play pretty much most of the time.. otherwise we wouldn't have these debates.. so for the budget conscious people, save yourself the $1200 and get the Shure SRh940's. They're way underpriced when it comes to quality of sound and built... but again, keep in mind, not for portable use.. Trust me when I say this, the Shure SRH440's sounded better on my iphone alone than the PS500/940 and the HD800   And for a $100.00 retail + $20 for the 840 pads.. it's a steal.

Thanks for the speedy reply Shotor102
beerchug.gif

I've spent a bunch of hard earned green this summer on gear and the immediate plan for now is just to kick back in my man cave and enjoy what I have. I only own the lowly Grado Sr60i and was planning on going up into the Grado higher archy next summer and was a bit on the fence on what to get. Originally I was planning on the 325i but right now it's a toss up between the RS1i and the PS500's. What I decide on I still have no idea but your information on the PS500's has me really intrigued. I can hardly wait until the summer, the plan is grab the Sony IEM's MDr EX 1000 and the XBA-3 and XBA-4.
etysmile.gif
From there I'm going to get myself the Sony MDR XB 1000 and let it have a bass head party with my XB 500 and XB 700.
gs1000.gif
From there I'm going to go grab a new set of Grado's and rock the roof off the house.
L3000.gif
If the summer goes really well I might even consider grabbing the new AKG 550 and see what the fuss is about. If that wasn't enough rumor has it V-MODA might have a new can on the market called the M-100 which really has me curious. I so love this hobby, so much gear to experiment with to bad my wallet hates me for it.
rolleyes.gif

Oct 30, 2011 at 8:08 PM Post #2,555 of 5,506
I would of spoken to them, probably show them my srh940's (If I had them), and educate them. Btw, you should never be afraid even if startled by people who look like they intend to do something stupid; because chances are, they don't have any intention to. Especially not in school.

I've helped quite a few people drift away from the thought of getting beats; I'd say about 50 ish friends and class mates (even strangers) in the past 2 years. It feels good I tell ya.

Quote:
Well there is one guy around here who was saying that the HD800's sound fine out of an iPod. I wouldn't know myself since I haven't tried it.

While studying on campus, a group of students with Beats Studios walked by and were staring at me while wearing my SRH940's. They didn't say anything but it was kind of awkward watching them through my Macbook's reflection.

Audio-Technica Stay updated on Audio-Technica at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.audio-technica.com/
Oct 30, 2011 at 8:46 PM Post #2,556 of 5,506

Quote:

I really appreciate what the shure 440 does for the price too. Great Cans! 

Nov 7, 2011 at 5:06 PM Post #2,558 of 5,506
As I'm making my way through this thread, i saw this on page 155.

Quote: Swoosh
It's not like he's quite possibly the greatest athlete alive at the moment. 6'8'' with unheard of athleticism is no big deal. It's also not like he has a 40 inch vertical and he is inhumanly strong. People see Lebron James wearing beats and they figure if Lebron if they are good enough for Lebron they are good enough for them as well.

And it reminded me of a customer review on the future shop website.

Quote: Customer
Customer Rating:
rating_arrow_full_sm.gif
rating_arrow_full_sm.gif
rating_arrow_full_sm.gif
rating_arrow_full_sm.gif
rating_arrow_full_sm.gif
5.0 /5

It is the best headphone for anyone who is serious about music, period! First time I'd ever saw a Dr Dre Beats headphone I didn't know much about the brand. I seriously started thinking about the quality when I saw it on a person who makes 15 million USD / year = Lebron james . I was like..... ok this guy can afford anything there is out there , why would he choose this headphone?
Once I had listen to it in person got my answers. The best sounding headphones one can buy , it is a bit pricey and heavy as well but very durable/ sturdy. I'd recommend it to anyone who cares about quality of music.

Celebrity endorsements work

Nov 7, 2011 at 5:08 PM Post #2,559 of 5,506

Quote:
As I'm making my way through this thread, i saw this on page 155.

And it reminded me of a customer review on the future shop website.

Celebrity endorsements work

unfortunately they do 
confused_face.gif

the only good celebrity headphones so far are the Q701

Nov 7, 2011 at 6:34 PM Post #2,561 of 5,506
See, this is what really sets me off. I don't hate the Beats headphones, I just dislike them. I don't hate people who use them, most just didn't know any better. I don't hate celebrities endorsing them, they're just making money in a legitimate way.

What I do hate is arrogance. I have been on Head-Fi for over a year now, and all it taught me is that I know VERY LITTLE about headphones. I know stuff most people don't know, like what is a DAC, what's the difference between closed and open or circumaural and supra-aural, what is impedance damping, but that's just touching the water. I realize I need to solder my first circuit board, make my first driver transplant and have my first decent home rig before I can even begin thinking I know a lot about headphones.

So why would anyone who clearly knows close to nothing about headphones ever make a statement as ridiculous as "It is the best headphone for anyone who is serious about music, period!"? Right, forget about 5,000$ electrostatic headphones! Forget about tube amps and silver cables! These things I tried at BestBuy plugged into my iPod are the greatest thing in existence! Yep, this is the limit of hi-fidelity. It doesn't get any better. Why? Because I saw Lebron James wearing them, and he's like super-rich, so would he buy these unless they were good, huh? Because he knows as much about audio as you do.

As time goes by, I trust less and less on mainstream websites consumer's reviews. You go there and either they are 5-star "LOL worked 4 me really well recommend it to everyun BEST THING EVA!!1!", or it's 1-star "It broke after 1 month. WHY WOULD IT DO THAT? Does it hate me?". Just go to Amazon and see the reviews for iPods, cellphones, anything a lot of people buy. I mentioned once on this website, or someone else did, how the Monster Tron headphones weren't even released yet and there were already 5-star reviews because "these look sweet! yo best hedfones eva!", yes they just liked the picture. On Cnet the comments are laughable as well.The only good sources of info are sites like these, forums with people who really enjoy a specific area. I'm sorry for letting out steam like this, but I just needed to vent.

Nov 7, 2011 at 6:47 PM Post #2,562 of 5,506

Quote:
See, this is what really sets me off. I don't hate the Beats headphones, I just dislike them. I don't hate people who use them, most just didn't know any better. I don't hate celebrities endorsing them, they're just making money in a legitimate way.

What I do hate is arrogance. I have been on Head-Fi for over a year now, and all it taught me is that I know VERY LITTLE about headphones. I know stuff most people don't know, like what is a DAC, what's the difference between closed and open or circumaural and supra-aural, what is impedance damping, but that's just touching the water. I realize I need to solder my first circuit board, make my first driver transplant and have my first decent home rig before I can even begin thinking I know a lot about headphones.

So why would anyone who clearly knows close to nothing about headphones ever make a statement as ridiculous as "It is the best headphone for anyone who is serious about music, period!"? Right, forget about 5,000$ electrostatic headphones! Forget about tube amps and silver cables! These things I tried at BestBuy plugged into my iPod are the greatest thing in existence! Yep, this is the limit of hi-fidelity. It doesn't get any better. Why? Because I saw Lebron James wearing them, and he's like super-rich, so would he buy these unless they were good, huh? Because he knows as much about audio as you do.

As time goes by, I trust less and less on mainstream websites consumer's reviews. You go there and either they are 5-star "LOL worked 4 me really well recommend it to everyun BEST THING EVA!!1!", or it's 1-star "It broke after 1 month. WHY WOULD IT DO THAT? Does it hate me?". Just go to Amazon and see the reviews for iPods, cellphones, anything a lot of people buy. I mentioned once on this website, or someone else did, how the Monster Tron headphones weren't even released yet and there were already 5-star reviews because "these look sweet! yo best hedfones eva!", yes they just liked the picture. On Cnet the comments are laughable as well.The only good sources of info are sites like these, forums with people who really enjoy a specific area. I'm sorry for letting out steam like this, but I just needed to vent.

Feel better now though don't you? You should go to the docks and sit back at one of those seaside restaurants and enjoy dining on some lapas with a nice glass of Mateus. Be sure to do it while grooving to the best tunes on the best headphones you have though.
beerchug.gif

Nov 7, 2011 at 6:49 PM Post #2,563 of 5,506

Quote:

Legitimate points. To the same people who give it 5 stars, the headband probably hasn't broken and their friends think they look so cool with them.

Nov 7, 2011 at 6:59 PM Post #2,564 of 5,506

Quote:
Alessandros are also endorsed by celebrities by the way. The only way to know it is to visit their website though

John Mayer uses MS-Pros right?

And to kind of add to Lizardking1, the people that actually know their stuff, in my experience, are labeled as dorks who waste their time with "crappy" headphones by some Beats users; the type that spend all their time after school playing COD or whatever. I'm still continually bugged by a couple kids for bringing Smeggipucks to school. *snarky tone* "Hey, how's your headphone modding going? Still tweakin'?" 
confused_face(1).gif

Nov 7, 2011 at 7:18 PM Post #2,565 of 5,506
i usually have an odd set of cans whenever i travel [odd in that they aren't $50 from best buy] - i often get asked questions about them.  in normal conversation, people often bring up bose and then swear by their sound and build quality

if not that it's the gamers i know that swear by their gaming 'cans' by turtle beach or the like...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back