Getting "called-out" for not wearing the Beats
Oct 23, 2011 at 3:00 PM Post #2,446 of 5,506

Quote:
Not sure about the newer releases but I always got worse battery life with Linux...

And I find 5 hours of battery life to be quite good actually. The hard part is not letting the battery lose capacity over time. That's why as soon as it's done charging I pull the battery out from the laptop and run the laptop off the charger, or pull the charger off and run the battery down.

Running the battery down was a useful technique to extend the capacity of NiCads, which were susceptible to the memory effect.  The modern lithium-ion and lithium-polymer batteries don't suffer from that quirk.  In fact, it's best to recharge a lithium battery before it is more than 20-30% depleted. Actually, before the voltage drops too far, but exactly where depends on the nominal voltage of your particular battery.  In short, you're doing no favors to your battery by running it down instead of charging it over and over. Of course running strictly off the charger is best, but internal chargers generally don't kick in until the voltage on the battery drops a certain amount anyway.  With lithiums, a lot of small charges are no worse for it than a single long charge.  It was just the opposite with NiCads.

Oct 23, 2011 at 3:12 PM Post #2,447 of 5,506

Quote:

Running the battery down was a useful technique to extend the capacity of NiCads, which were susceptible to the memory effect.  The modern lithium-ion and lithium-polymer batteries don't suffer from that quirk.  In fact, it's best to recharge a lithium battery before it is more than 20-30% depleted. Actually, before the voltage drops too far, but exactly where depends on the nominal voltage of your particular battery.  In short, you're doing no favors to your battery by running it down instead of charging it over and over. Of course running strictly off the charger is best, but internal chargers generally don't kick in until the voltage on the battery drops a certain amount anyway.  With lithiums, a lot of small charges are no worse for it than a single long charge.  It was just the opposite with NiCads.

I always read it was best to recharge your battery when it had about 20-30% remaining.

Plus, I thought the main reason the batteries degenerated was because of either heat, or due to the charger constantly charging it to 100%, then letting the battery fall down to 95% and then charging it back up, and those little cycles would always kill the battery.

Plus, the laptop will never let the battery drop below its critical voltage. With Lithium Polymer batteries, at least, if you drop below a certain voltage, your batteries are toast. They'll just puff up and won't charge again.

As for storing batteries, I believe it's best to charge the battery to about 60% and then keep the battery in a cool place. That's at least what is recommended with radio control lithium polymer batteries. I'm not sure how laptop batteries/lithium-ion batteries differ.

Oct 23, 2011 at 3:23 PM Post #2,448 of 5,506
Another laptop discussion?

*sigh* Can we please stop going OT so much? I mean, you guys aren't even talking about Beats-related material now... I can see the Beats Audio stuff being relevant, but discussing the battery power of your laptops is completely irrelevant to the thread.

Oct 23, 2011 at 3:53 PM Post #2,449 of 5,506
Since we've completely gone off topic anyone want to take it out to deep left field and start complaining about their girlfriend? We've discussed everything else under the sun might as well rant about our girlfriend's.

Oct 23, 2011 at 3:56 PM Post #2,450 of 5,506

Quote:
Another laptop discussion?

*sigh* Can we please stop going OT so much? I mean, you guys aren't even talking about Beats-related material now... I can see the Beats Audio stuff being relevant, but discussing the battery power of your laptops is completely irrelevant to the thread.

I'm surprised this thread even got so big... what else is there to talk about Beats?

Just to be on topic, no one has ever said anything to me about wearing Beats but at the same time, everyone that I know says I spend too much on headphones. Although I don't care what they think. I have 2 jobs at school and they sit around and smoke weed and get drunk so they shouldn't be the ones judging me anyways.

Oct 23, 2011 at 3:56 PM Post #2,451 of 5,506

Quote:
Since we've completely gone off topic anyone want to take it out to deep left field and start complaining about their girlfriend? We've discussed everything else under the sun might as well rant about our girlfriend's.

Please define the term "girlfriend". I am not sure what this means.

frown.gif

Oct 23, 2011 at 3:58 PM Post #2,452 of 5,506
Mine told me she hasn't seen 'A Clockwork Orange' on the way to work today...or any Kubrick films. I was shocked as she's usually into stuff like that. We'll be watching 'Full Metal Jacket' tonight when I get off work.

About this thread...I keep coming back and I always regret it. It always seems to break down into an argument and then it resets. It's happened so many times...

OT: I get called out at work constantly for not owning Beats but being considered 'the headphone guy'. Someone hears my boss refer to me that way and that's immediately what I hear. 'Oh you must have Beats...' and I just roll my eyes and continue to suggest the AT cans we carry.

Quote:

Oct 23, 2011 at 4:32 PM Post #2,453 of 5,506

Quote:
I'm surprised this thread even got so big... what else is there to talk about Beats?

Just to be on topic, no one has ever said anything to me about wearing Beats but at the same time, everyone that I know says I spend too much on headphones. Although I don't care what they think. I have 2 jobs at school and they sit around and smoke weed and get drunk so they shouldn't be the ones judging me anyways.

If you don't care what they think and you're finding sonic bliss, you're not spending too much on headphones.

Oct 23, 2011 at 5:54 PM Post #2,456 of 5,506

Quote:
I always read it was best to recharge your battery when it had about 20-30% remaining.

Plus, I thought the main reason the batteries degenerated was because of either heat, or due to the charger constantly charging it to 100%, then letting the battery fall down to 95% and then charging it back up, and those little cycles would always kill the battery.

Plus, the laptop will never let the battery drop below its critical voltage. With Lithium Polymer batteries, at least, if you drop below a certain voltage, your batteries are toast. They'll just puff up and won't charge again.

As for storing batteries, I believe it's best to charge the battery to about 60% and then keep the battery in a cool place. That's at least what is recommended with radio control lithium polymer batteries. I'm not sure how laptop batteries/lithium-ion batteries differ.

From my research and experience,  20-30% should be the minimum. Otherwise, depending on your charging rate, heat buildup might become an issue.

You're right about the storage. 60-70% charge is best, and keep them cool. It might be overkill, but I keep mine in the fridge for long term storage.

Short, frequent cycles don't hurt the battery as long as they don't heat it up.  Whether topping off would heat up the battery would depend on the rate your  internal charger uses.
IME with lipos and li-ions on a separate charger that monitors temperature the only time they heated up to any extent was when I was charging a very low battery and/or at a high rate.  At what point the charger kicks in on a laptop would vary by design, I would think.  It's purely speculation, but I would imagine the charger is designed to charge when the voltage and amps are still high enough that there wouldn't be much heat build up.  Anyway, the point is that if your charger is designed right, it won't take so long to put back a 5-10% charge that heat becomes an issue.  In and of itself, repeated charging cycles don't hurt the batt., but heat will.

I got a separate Universal MAHA C777Plus charger.  I use it to recharge anything that has an internal lithium battery, instead of relying on internal chargers or wall warts. I use it for Cameras, MP3 players, laptops, bike-light battery packs and even lipos (although it won't fully charge them, it's safer and I can top them off on another dedicated charger). The newer models might even do lipos as well. It's a lot easier on all my lithiums. It's a good investment and I recommend it highly. They're about $40-50 at Thomas Distributing and it'll pay for itself in battery lifespan.

I used to do a lot of RC plane stuff, so I know what you mean about lipos, the same thing applies to hard-shelled lithium batteries, except they don't puff. They're vented and should contain a PCB, but the chemistry is the same. 

Oct 23, 2011 at 6:26 PM Post #2,457 of 5,506
My gf showed me a pic of her boss' 13 year old kid wearing headphones and asked me if I knew what they were and if they were any good. The kid was wearing Beats Pros. I replied with "ugh, terrible for the cost, but kids like them because they're endorsed by celebrities. Did he actually buy that for his kid?" So she immediately texted her boss. His reply... "why the hell would I spend $500 for something that's too big for his head?"

Oct 23, 2011 at 8:46 PM Post #2,458 of 5,506
Quote:
My gf showed me a pic of her boss' 13 year old kid wearing headphones and asked me if I knew what they were and if they were any good. The kid was wearing Beats Pros. I replied with "ugh, terrible for the cost, but kids like them because they're endorsed by celebrities. Did he actually buy that for his kid?" So she immediately texted her boss. His reply... "why the hell would I spend $500 for something that's too big for his head?"

Thank gosh, maybe direct the boss to some LCD-2's or 3's, which will definitely be too small
tongue.gif

Oct 23, 2011 at 10:13 PM Post #2,459 of 5,506
Does Head-Fi even have (active) moderators?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back