Getting a pair of Grado's need suggestion
Apr 28, 2003 at 2:18 AM Post #16 of 32
Quote:

Originally posted by SptsNaz
I need a few suggestions... please. I listen to rock, metal, often even classical music and the like.
Budget is around 150$... sorry not spoiled rich.

please tell me you don;t listen to dream theater

Apr 28, 2003 at 2:22 AM Post #17 of 32
Quote:

Originally posted by terrymx
doesnt grado leak sound?

Ah... a little bit.

If you're worried about leakage stay away from Grados.

Apr 28, 2003 at 12:40 PM Post #19 of 32
2 places to look; The FS/Trade forums here, and Ebay.

They retail around $295, but if you keep a sharp eye, you'll find them for less. I got mine from our FS/Trade board.

There's 2 pair on Ebay right now.

Apr 28, 2003 at 4:43 PM Post #20 of 32
When I auditionned the Grados, I tried a few pairs.

SR60
SR80
Sr125

(If you search u'll probably find my old posts).

Resume: Big, easily hearable difference between SR60 -> 80. SR80 was clearer, more impact, sharper. SR60 was muddier, less defined, bassier.. Ex: SR80 sounded like STINKGH! SR60 SDINGH.

SR80 -> SR125, the difference were a lot more subtle (to my ears at that time). I had a lot more trouble finding difference between 80 -> 125, 125 seemed to have more detail.. But it was pretty subtle...

The 80's were 15-20$cdn more than the 60's and sounded significantly better IMHO, but the SR125 were a *LOT* (60-70$cdn maybe?) more expensive than the SR80's, but the sound difference wasn't as big as 60 -> 80, it was pretty subtle IMHO.

So I bought the SR80's, since the 125's quality didn't warrant the big price difference.

Apr 28, 2003 at 5:23 PM Post #21 of 32
I find my Grado SR-60's magical from my computer or ipod as a source. However the higher up the line you go the more you will require an amp to get the most out of your headphones. I'm convinced that my 325's don't sound as good as my 60's if driven from my ipod.

I think it ultimately depends on what the cans are plugged into.

Apr 29, 2003 at 12:41 PM Post #22 of 32
Quote:

Originally posted by soupy
Obviously the 125 will be better than the 80s, demonstrating the same impact-ful bass, bumped up midrange and somewhat harsh/cold highs

I think you need a new amp.

Apr 29, 2003 at 1:04 PM Post #23 of 32
The major differences between Grado's (moving up the line) are driver matching, slight increases in efficiency and slight increases in material quality.

As for sound, let your wallet be your guide.

May 1, 2003 at 8:33 AM Post #26 of 32
Another vote for the Alessandro MS-1's...got them today and they sound unbelievable!!! It's like having my B&W 303's fixed to my ears
smily_headphones1.gif

These will tie me over until I can afford the MS-Pro's.

May 1, 2003 at 9:25 AM Post #27 of 32
Let's not overdo it on the sound leakage thing.

Yes it exists, but it's not particularly noticeable at moderate volumes. Roughly equivalent to a set of closed cans hanging from something.

And as for percent improvement?

Eleventy-billion.

That's my number and I'm sticking to it.

DI

May 3, 2003 at 7:16 AM Post #28 of 32
IMO the SR80 is the best headphone Grado currently makes. Everything from the SR125 on up is way too bright for me, I simply can't stand to listen to them. The SR225 is the worst of the lot, and I've heard them all. The SR60 is less good overall than the SR80 but it is the only other current Grado that I would (and do) own. I also have an old HP-2 that is far more neutral than any current Grado.

May 3, 2003 at 4:55 PM Post #30 of 32
Quote:

Originally posted by KnightRT
Let's not overdo it on the sound leakage thing.

Yes it exists, but it's not particularly noticeable at moderate volumes. Roughly equivalent to a set of closed cans hanging from something.

And as for percent improvement?

Eleventy-billion.

That's my number and I'm sticking to it.

DI

Come on there is no such thing as a "eleventy-billion" percent improvement. Right now the aiwa's sound decent but there is no soundstage to them whatsoever, will i notice a major improved in the grado's? Also what about rock, how will that improve...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back