Geshelli j2
Jun 30, 2021 at 3:15 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 169

gdwallasign

100+ Head-Fier
THE J2 A NEW DESIGN ESS Here we come! Here at Geshelli, we like to find the positive light in an adverse situation. Ours is the absolutely beautiful sounding ESS Sabre series DAC chips.

We went through many iterations of prototypes using the different models and brands and found the ES9026PRO worked best for our design requirements. We chose the PRO series because of the 4x2 current based configuration. This means, you can tie four independent channels together as one therefore lowering noise and distortion levels.

We also chose to run the DAC analog output in current mode.

For our current to voltage conversion we chose the Texas Instruments OPA1656 opamp chips. Like the original JNOG, we are running three independent opamps, which give you the ability to run the XLR (L/R) at the same time as the RCA outputs.

The J2 includes four SPDIF interfaces (two Coaxial, two Toslink). These SPDIF connections are routed through a Texas Instruments DIX9211 digital audio receiver. This provides a 216khz/24bit capable digital signal. We also kept with the optional Amanero USB Module which allows the user to stream 32bit 384khz PCM signal or bit perfect DSD512. In our opinion, this is the best USB module on the market.

Lastly, for a bit of fun, we incorporated a tricolor LED that can display several colors along with pulse modes and a multicolor mode all controllable at a touch of a button.

Jul 21, 2021 at 8:52 PM Post #3 of 169
I have the same setup with Hifiman headphones and Etymotic er4xr. Love it. All of the inputs really come in handy. I use the RCA out to my active speakers. It's an awesome combo. Looks stunning in black with blue mist.

Jul 28, 2021 at 4:23 PM Post #7 of 169
How's the sound compared to the Erish?
It has wondering how much I would hate thx amp compared to the erish when coming from the singxer sa-1. The Erish sounds strictly by the numbers when the sa-1 blends it all in smooth layers that are distinguishable but musical. When I'm trying to A/B the two I find myself forgetting about the testing when on the sa-1.

The Erish reminds me that I'm listening to an electronic product by telling me all about that stupid guitar amp hum at the beginning of the song. The sa-1 has it too but it focuses me on the ensemble.

Dec 20, 2021 at 10:40 AM Post #9 of 169
This has been a really nice "utility" DAC to have around - plugging holes in various setups when needed. The 3 gain levels comes in more useful than I would have guessed, especially for powered monitors that are way too hot (I'm looking at you iLoud MTM!)

Sep 8, 2022 at 8:25 PM Post #10 of 169
Cheap audioman review with the AKM chip sweeeet!

Sep 12, 2022 at 3:29 PM Post #11 of 169
New case is in looks like the blue render so excited. Sherri is great to work with been a great experience so far!

Attachments

• 2022-09-12-10-17-47-346.jpg
    2022-09-12-10-17-47-346.jpg
    230.8 KB · Views: 0
Sep 16, 2022 at 3:52 PM Post #13 of 169
Received my JNOG2 yesterday. Ordered it with the AKM 4493 chip, cedar wood and teal plate. Going for a wood theme for my ZMF headphones. I'm using the JNOG2 to feed an OTL tube amp to my Atriums. Very sweet synergy in this chain!:thumbsup:

Sep 16, 2022 at 8:07 PM Post #14 of 169
Received my JNOG2 yesterday. Ordered it with the AKM 4493 chip, cedar wood and teal plate. Going for a wood theme for my ZMF headphones. I'm using the JNOG2 to feed an OTL tube amp to my Atriums. Very sweet synergy in this chain!:thumbsup:
PICTURES!

Sep 17, 2022 at 1:46 PM Post #15 of 169
PICTURES!
OK, just a couple quick snaps with the phone. Sorry, my desk is cluttered and I need to re-organize since the OTL tube amp (RAAL-Requisite PDT-1a) that I'm feeding with the JNOG2 is on top of a speaker and not ideally how I want to arrange this chain. Never enough desk space :frowning2:
This DAC is great, I love the simplicity and fantastic sound paired with a good amp. I think Cheap Audioman's review above highlights it well especially the bass characteristics.
The Atrium with classic rock, metal, funk, R&B and similar genres are superb on tube amps and I'm noticing this DAC opens up more types of music for me on the ZMF. Right now enjoying some heavy-beat/dark electro Front Line Assembly on this set up.
20220917_130022.jpg
20220917_131342.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back