Genesis Reunion?
Nov 7, 2005 at 3:34 AM Post #3 of 15
Gotta get Steve Hackett back to make it complete....

Nov 7, 2005 at 7:42 AM Post #4 of 15
eek.gif
eek.gif
eek.gif

Garrett

Nov 7, 2005 at 1:05 PM Post #5 of 15
I think Gabriel has always been the hold out. With at least some public support from the other members surfacing lately, there is some reason for hope.

Nov 8, 2005 at 3:32 AM Post #6 of 15
Their old Foxtrot era stuff was great, Selling England ... maybe my fave. The "Lamb" was ok, I guess. The 80's stuff is dumb pop, as far as I'm concerned. If they can get together and recreate the old head-trip stuff from the early 70's, I'd be into that.

Nov 8, 2005 at 4:11 AM Post #7 of 15
I really think they are going to do it. Probably not a new album or any major tour, but several shows in London and NYC. Of course, all filmed for the eventual DVD release. On top of that, the band has something to promote....the multi-channel remixes of their classic albums. While Peter Gabriel may resist, but even he's not above re-recording "Carpet Crawler" (with Phil, Tony, Mike and Steve) for the boxset several years ago.

Fingers crossed.

However, in this very long Phil Collins interview that was done recently, he expressed doubts about his ability to play his own drum parts from 30 years ago. The doubts came about after Phil played drums for the Genesis tribute band, The Musical Box, during an encore....

The Interview

And here's a clip of Phil in action with The Musical Box (scroll)

http://www.genesis-fanclub.de/downloads/

Nov 8, 2005 at 5:37 PM Post #8 of 15
I would make a trip to NYC for a show -- that's for sure.

It wouldn't surprise me if Phil had trouble playing some of the 70s era Genesis parts -- it was pretty complex and I doubt he's kept up on his drum work over the last couple decades. Considering where his career has gone, it's almost unfair to ask him to sit behind a drumset for a tour. Frankly, I'm surprised he said he was willing to do it.

I'd like to think that if everyone is on board, Peter would go for it. I'm keeping my fingers crossed.

Nov 8, 2005 at 6:03 PM Post #9 of 15
My money says they do it - none of them has anything to prove anymore by resisting. This would be the prog event of the decade! That is, if and only if Gabriel is singing - everybody's gotta be there.

They could bring in a session drummer (they did this a lot throughout their career), ostensibly for songs where Phil sings, but also as backup for the really intricate early stuff if Phil feels uncomfortable with it. Possibly Nick D'Virgilio (Spocks Beard drummer who has played with Gabriel and Genesis already I think) or Mike Portnoy.

Nov 9, 2005 at 5:39 AM Post #10 of 15
Quote:

Originally Posted by Doc Sarvis
Possibly Nick D'Virgilio (Spocks Beard drummer who has played with Gabriel and Genesis already I think) or Mike Portnoy.

Just bring in Chester Thompson, the tour drummer of Genesis during the Phil Collins years.

Nov 13, 2005 at 7:03 AM Post #14 of 15
Few approachable things would excite me more than a new Genesis album featuring all of their talents, especially PG. If they are only going to rehash what has come before, yes, I'm there, but what a loss of what could have been.

JC

Nov 13, 2005 at 3:53 PM Post #15 of 15
Quote:

Originally Posted by Nightfall
Few approachable things would excite me more than a new Genesis album featuring all of their talents, especially PG. If they are only going to rehash what has come before, yes, I'm there, but what a loss of what could have been.

Hmmm....I sense a Detroit-area road trip in the making!!
biggrin.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back