Generic Closed-Headphone-Advice-Seeking thread
Nov 30, 2007 at 3:35 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 8

Sherwood

Headphoneus Supremus
Hey gang,

I'm on a mission to find what probably can't be found. I'd really like to find a closed can with excellent bass extension and a lively sound.

I primarily listen with HD580s and SR-125s through a Millett Hybrid, and of the two I usually defer to the Grados because I prefer their more upfront sound. Problem is, neither of them have the bass impact and slam that I occasionally crave. I have no objections to open cans perse, but I've got two good pairs of open cans and I think it's time for a change. I also have no objections to "colored" headphones, but I definitely prefer a more forward and lively sound signature if possible.

I expect recommendations like the DT770s, but I'd truly appreciate it if y'all dug a little deeper and uncovered me a gem.

Oh, and one last thing: I'd like them to come in under $250 (well under, if possible) and I have to be able to get them shippped to Turkey.

Go Gurus!

Nov 30, 2007 at 9:56 PM Post #2 of 8
Alright, 16 views and zero replies necessitates I ditch the snappy title and settle for something more utilitarian. Any ideas, assembled masses?

Nov 30, 2007 at 10:22 PM Post #5 of 8
True, I did, though I'm still glad to hear about the MS2. Not to derail the thread, but how's the extenion on the MS2?

Nov 30, 2007 at 10:47 PM Post #7 of 8
Have you considered in ear phones? The etymotics ER 4s reportedly have great extension and a pretty flat response. You can also get them with the boosted bass you will be used to, with a lower impedance for portable use.

Nov 30, 2007 at 11:00 PM Post #8 of 8
Yeah, I have a pair of etys that I definitely enjoy, but the extension is not their strong suit. My portable needs, however, and simple and satisfied. I'm looking for full-sized circumaural headphones, especially something with a high impedance so I can put my amp to work.

For anyone not as enamored of hifalutin' audio terms as me, when I say bass extension I mean a good reproduction of deep, deep bass. I want as little rolloff as possible, even if it colors the mids somewhat.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back