General Questions on Headphones
Dec 31, 2011 at 11:11 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 2

domino584

100+ Head-Fier
I wear hand cream a lot.  If I touch the 3.5mm or 2.5mm connectors while touching hand cream, is it going to damage the headphones or distort the audio (3.5mm into the source and 2.5mm in the headphone itself).

I'm also wondering what types of hats I can wear that won't have a static discharge on the headphones?  The shure 940s headphone digs into my head and I'm wondering if I wear a wool hat or something that it won't dig into my head so much.

Cheers for help.

Dec 31, 2011 at 11:28 PM Post #2 of 2
Wait, so do you mean putting one hand in hand cream, and one hand on the headphones? (You said while touching) 

Or do you mean if you put hand cream on the TRS plug?

Or do you mean if, after putting hand cream on your hands, handling the TRS plug?

The first one should not be a problem at all, don't do the second one, and I think the third one is easily enough avoided (handle the plug by the plastic/wood/metal/whatever part that's intended to be handled). I would wipe the TRS plug off if you got some goo on it, the long-term just doesn't seem like a good thing.

I don't think you should have a problem with any hat - although I can't imagine it would be comfortable for long-term listening. You can probably modify the headphone in question; although you'll have to find another owner or modder to get a straight answer. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back