General question about headphones coupled with PMPs
Apr 2, 2008 at 8:34 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 8

InfiniteZr0

Head-Fier
I've checked the portable audio forum and noticed that everyone has amps to go with their MP3 players and stuff, which makes sense considering that they would give better sound to headphones(I'm guessing).
I probably won't be using an amp to go with my PMP, so is it worth using "good" headphones, or will I not notice a difference with my Sony EX81s?

Apr 2, 2008 at 8:39 PM Post #2 of 8
I guess I should also note that I don't have any good headphones yet. But I'm considering buying the s.fi 5 pro after I saved up some money.
But I don't really want to buy them if my pmp, which is the Archos 605, won't be able to use the headphones to their potential.

Apr 2, 2008 at 9:20 PM Post #5 of 8
Quote:

Originally Posted by InfiniteZr0 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I'm wondering if it would be worth it to get the s.fi 5s though.

The Super Fis would be a significant improvement over the Ex-81s. Much more bass, more detail, and instrument separation. I think that you would instantly hear the difference (everyone's ears are different, but this is a general assumption about the difference in the two headphones). It might not be the titanic leap from standard iPod headphones to the Ex-81s, but it would still be quite a jump in sound quality.

What kind of music do you listen to? What is your budget, and do you need isolation?

Apr 2, 2008 at 9:52 PM Post #6 of 8
I plan on spending about $200 for headphones which is around where the s.fi 5s are at iirc.
I've already done some digging on which headphones I wanted to get, but my MP3 player was crapping out on me so I decided to use that money to get the archos.

Apr 2, 2008 at 11:17 PM Post #7 of 8
So you're basically asking whether getting good headphones for a PMP/DAP is really worth it, if you don't also get an amp? Of course it is! The better the phones are, the better it will sound. Now, with some phones (mainly ones that are hard to drive, that require much power) an amp may be needed to really make them shine and get everything out of them, but that doesn't mean you won't notice an improvement if you use more expensive phones without an amp. I use my Sony NWZ-A818 unamped, and the difference in sound quality between the MDR-EX082s that came with it and my Denon AH-C551s is huge. But those are both canalphones, and quite easy to drive. If you plan on getting a pair of heavy cans it might be another story, then you might benefit more from getting an amp. But since you're talking about getting IEMs (like the S.fi 5s) you shouldn't need one.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back