General 'Next Step' Advice
Jul 5, 2017 at 5:55 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 7

Gorgias

New Head-Fier
Hi all

At the moment I have some Sennheiser HD650s, and old pair of AKG501s, a Cambrdige Audio DacMagic Plus. When I listen, I plug the DAC into my laptop, my external harddrive into my laptop, open JRiver media centre and begin my listening session. I've appropriated the cash and would like to take the next step. Here are some things I've considered. Would love to hear opinions on what you think I should do first or what I've missed etc...
My immediate goal is to stop using my laptop as a source. I want a stand alone system that plays FLAC from my drives.
a. NAS [I have an enormous digitised cinema library spread over countless harddrives so this could be useful]
b. A dedicated source [not sure what's usually done here...should I think about this problem at the same time as the NAS? A cheap media player? A receiver etc.? portable player? An old iPhone4s?]

What I hope to experience after taking the next step: Turn on DAC/Amp, plug in headphones, select music using a display from my entire FLAC library, start listening [no laptop etc.]

Thanks to anyone who has time to reply.

Jul 5, 2017 at 6:03 PM Post #2 of 7
Honestly a computer is perfectly fine. If you already have an amp with your 650's (I hope you do, otherwise definitely get an amp) then there isn't much left to buy in terms of extra gear. Portable players aren't really higher fidelity than a computer because most people are going to have a portable player with amp, or a laptop with external dac/amp, or both.

1) What types of files do you listen to primarily? (Do you already own the FLAC you mentioned or is that a unreached goal for you?)
2) Does the DacMagic Plus have an amp built in?
3) Do you have a budet for upgrades?

Jul 5, 2017 at 6:27 PM Post #4 of 7
Thanks for the quick reply.

@cossix
It's not that I have a problem with the audio quality from the laptop. It's a digital source. It's just inconvenient plugging in my music drive, using up memory etc. on my machine. I'd rather have a stand alone 'system', if that makes sense.
1. My FLAC library is extensive. I have no problems there.
2. Yes, it has an amp.
3. I have about $500, but if I bought an NAS I know I'll need more.

@serman005
Not at the moment. There are other more pressing needs I think, like a source for my DAC/Amp. What do you think I should use? How should I set it up?

Jul 5, 2017 at 6:47 PM Post #5 of 7
It sounds to me like what you want is a NAS of some sort, but I am clueless about what good options are in that realm and therefore of little use to you on the topic. With apologies. Some other folks who are fluent in NAS will come along and assist, I have no doubt.

Jul 5, 2017 at 10:31 PM Post #6 of 7
Im not sure there is a logical next step in the 500.00 ballpark.
Your CA DACMagic has a pretty decent SQ already...its quite similar to what I get out of my CA bluray player.I have done an a/b of my bluray player against my Sony HAP S1(1000.00) and the difference in SQ between the two is almost undetectable....like literally so close its not worth mentioning.
The next step-up is the Sony HAP Z1(2000.00)which is a marked improvement not only in storage capacity but in SQ. Mike over at Woo Audio swears by them and they fly several Z1s around the world to trade shows asthey feel it provides the best sound to showcase their amps....but now youre looking at 2 grand.

I know there are other companies that make free standing units like Sony but I have no experience with them.

Last edited:
Jul 5, 2017 at 11:43 PM Post #7 of 7
Thanks for all the advice.
I'm actually quite happy with the sound quality for the time being, or at least within the spending limits I've set.

If anyone knows about what kind of source would suit a NAS or direct USB plugin with possiblity of NAS upgrade, that would be best I think.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back