General headphone softmod to reduce bass? [ES10]
Dec 5, 2011 at 6:40 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 2

Kanashimu

100+ Head-Fier
I have an ES10 that I want to soft mod to reduce bass, as to bring out the beautiful mids and highs that are often drowned out by the bass. What are the the general principals of reducing bass in a headphone?

I'd prefer to stay away from EQ if possible.

Thanks.

Dec 5, 2011 at 10:33 AM Post #2 of 2
Anything done to change any frequency's relative amplitude is EQ. Sometimes you EQ by changing headphones, other times you use an actual EQ. If you have a headphone (or speaker) that is "generally pretty nice, with a small flaw" a small amount of EQ can provide an outstanding benefit particularly if a "nicer" headphone would be cost prohibitive or simply unobtainable. EQ gets a bad rap because it is more commonly used to improve crappy headphones/speakers to "acceptable" levels. Id agree you cant polish a turd, but its not the EQ that sucks, its the sucky speakers/headphones most people try (and fail) to fix with it. 

Now that that's out there I would certainly advocate the tasteful use of EQ. 
Probably the cleanest way is to do it digitally. Knocking a given range down a few DB in the digital domain is really very benign. Most portable players offer a suitable EQ (you dont need much control, even a 5-band graphic EQ should be adequate) so I'd start there. 

If you want to EQ passively, your in for a wild ride. There are only a few contrived advantages to an analog EQ, and its really just a pain in the butt. 
To set up an analog EQ for headphones I would start with a digital EQ to figure out exactly what you want to do. Most likely you will be able to achieve what you work out there with a simple shelf filter made with a small cap in parallel with a resistor. That cap/resistor network goes in series with the headphones and taa-dah!

If EQ really isn't an option just get different headphones. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back