Geek Pulse: Geek desktop DAC/AMP by Light Harmonics
Oct 20, 2015 at 3:56 AM Post #9,707 of 13,800
  So news is out that Pulse X Infinity shipping "end of September" is now "end of December".  2016 here we come.  Happy New Year!

I thought Pulse Infinity is shipping already and will be completed by December 2015?  Or Pulse Infinity is different from Pulse X Infinity?  Vi Dac Tube is going to be starting December 2015 anyway.  

Oct 20, 2015 at 4:39 AM Post #9,708 of 13,800
I have a question for you guys... I purchased a vanilla geek pulse on a good deal. I am planning to use it as a DAC only with a discrete amp yet to be decided. I have an option of buying a used pulse infinity on a deal. I am wondering whether I will notice any remarkable differences if using the pulse as a dac alone? I know the Xfi and infinity have balanced outputs etc and slightly better parts for the DAC(which I don't understand...) My only wonder is if it makes any difference if only being used for dac purposes. I have a hd650 and lcd2.2

Oct 20, 2015 at 4:47 AM Post #9,709 of 13,800
I have a question for you guys... I purchased a vanilla geek pulse on a good deal. I am planning to use it as a DAC only with a discrete amp yet to be decided. I have an option of buying a used pulse infinity on a deal. I am wondering whether I will notice any remarkable differences if using the pulse as a dac alone? I know the Xfi and infinity have balanced outputs etc and slightly better parts for the DAC(which I don't understand...) My only wonder is if it makes any difference if only being used for dac purposes. I have a hd650 and lcd2.2

I can't speak for the vanilla Pulse as I have the balanced XFi version, but I would imagine that the lack of balanced outputs would make minimal difference if your setup involved single ended outputs to a headphone amplifier and single ended cable to your headphones. 

I don't know how much a difference the naked resistors, upgraded op-amps and femto clocks have on the sound quality, but what I have heard is that the Infinity has the latest ESS9018AQ2M chip?

Oct 20, 2015 at 4:52 AM Post #9,710 of 13,800
I thought Pulse Infinity is shipping already and will be completed by December 2015?  Or Pulse Infinity is different from Pulse X Infinity?  Vi Dac Tube is going to be starting December 2015 anyway.  

He is just referencing lhlabs' inherent incapability in meeting set 'estimated shipping start/completion dates', and the constant delays and changes of these dates.
Of course, one more delay would put it in the ballpark of the year 2016, and missing Christmas altogether (unless they manage to delay it for another year...)

Oct 20, 2015 at 5:35 AM Post #9,711 of 13,800
He is just referencing lhlabs' inherent incapability in meeting set 'estimated shipping start/completion dates', and the constant delays and changes of these dates.
Of course, one more delay would put it in the ballpark of the year 2016, and missing Christmas altogether (unless they manage to delay it for another year...)

Yeah OK.  I don't really do that anymore because it's just so tiring and pisses me off.  Just don't think about it for a long while, and check from time to time.  I got other things in life to make me happy.  

Oct 20, 2015 at 6:56 AM Post #9,712 of 13,800
  Yeah OK.  I don't really do that anymore because it's just so tiring and pisses me off.  Just don't think about it for a long while, and check from time to time.  I got other things in life to make me happy.

At least they are shipping some pulses which cannot be said of the WAVE. I am so sick of their constant search for new excuses why thigns don't proceed.
If You take a look at the new posts on IGG there seems to be a system within - Gavin is sending out markting BS plus Bad News and Larry is sending out some other stuff - interstingly this time he specified that ALL OF THE FIRST BATCH of the infinty has been sent to domestic backers - this is a very nice loophole for further communication. Who outside of LHL knows how many infinities were in the first batch? Hah ..
You should also read the part about the "audiophile angels" ... this really makes me feel sooo much better that we have to wait some more months, wow.
Also including the V2 / V2+ campaign into their fulfillment schedule to make the utter catastrophe with fulfilment of all the different perks look better.
Sometimes I think that this business model of funding R&D has some similarities to the old snowball-systems in financial products where the original Investors were paid by the Investments of the later Investors and so on.
I really do wonder what will happen when LHLabs will have spent the IGG fundings and also has pissed of so many of theri "force" that they cannot sell more products. 
I guess I have to prepare myself that I might never get my Wave.

Oct 20, 2015 at 8:49 AM Post #9,713 of 13,800
Let start a LAW SUIT !

Anyone ?

GEEK PULSE get Main 0.0 out of no where and stopped to be recognized by Laptop. This is what i got after 2 years waiting.
In addition, I was stupid enough to put money in their Geek Wave. And it is still, a promise.

Oct 20, 2015 at 9:04 AM Post #9,714 of 13,800
Sense lack of body in audio from a Pulse Infinity with LPS connected to a wake-from-extended(~8 hours)-sleep MacBook Pro.

Power-cycled Pulse Infinity with LPS and Mac rectify this lack of body in audio.

Perhaps an issue associated with long sleep mode and USB handshake?

Oct 20, 2015 at 9:24 AM Post #9,715 of 13,800
I keep it on all the time. I unplug USB from laptop this morning and when i try to to plug back in the evening, it didn't recognize. Try to on and off multiple time, or even 8 hours.

Nothing change.

Have any idea how to fix ?

Oct 20, 2015 at 10:06 AM Post #9,716 of 13,800
The Geek Wave schedule just moved from Feb 2016 to July 2016.  Gavin blamed himself for the delay because of the case design.  I just hope they didn't fire Kayla because Gavin is a bad designer (and a bad marketer at that).  Vi Dac shipping out on December 2015?  How about make that December 2016.  Watch for an announcement that says something to the tune of "it takes 2 years for R&D on the Vi Dac"... then do the math from there.

This company started censoring their own forum because of a lot of vile spewing around.  When that is not enough, they killed it.  Their reputation is now so bad that I don't know how they can sell future products unless Larry fires Gavin.

And where is Casey?  Did they just fired him too?  http://lhlabs.com/about/

Oct 20, 2015 at 10:56 AM Post #9,717 of 13,800

I have the Geek Out 1000, and the GO Special Edition. I don't know what, if any other improvements were made for the SE, but it does have the FEMTO clock, and I'm guessing that has the most to do with the better sound (and, it DOES sound much better). That should apply to using it in the DAC application. As far as balanced goes, that is very dependent on the implementation. I have the Pono, does sound much better balanced (to the point that it is a viable option for my HE-1000 in balanced mode), I have the Centrance Hifi M8, which has balanced outputs, but they are really for convenience, the internal electronics are NOT balanced, and it doesn't make any difference for SQ. The Liquid Carbon focuses very much on the balanced circuit, and, from reports (haven't heard it yet, have one on order), there is significant SQ benefit to the balanced outputs. And, some on Head Fi have looked at specs for the balanced Wave, and there is a suspicion that it may have more noise/sound worse than the single ended. Of course, since it doesn't exist yet, it is purely speculation based on info supplied by the LH folks. SO, femto should improve the sound, significantly from my experience and what I have read.

Oct 20, 2015 at 11:00 AM Post #9,718 of 13,800
  I keep it on all the time. I unplug USB from laptop this morning and when i try to to plug back in the evening, it didn't recognize. Try to on and off multiple time, or even 8 hours.

Nothing change.

Have any idea how to fix ?

What player are you using? Might need to reselect the Pulse. 

Oct 20, 2015 at 11:06 AM Post #9,719 of 13,800
  The Geek Wave schedule just moved from Feb 2016 to July 2016.  Gavin blamed himself for the delay because of the case design.  I just hope they didn't fire Kayla because Gavin is a bad designer (and a bad marketer at that).  Vi Dac shipping out on December 2015?  How about make that December 2016.  Watch for an announcement that says something to the tune of "it takes 2 years for R&D on the Vi Dac"... then do the math from there.

This company started censoring their own forum because of a lot of vile spewing around.  When that is not enough, they killed it.  Their reputation is now so bad that I don't know how they can sell future products unless Larry fires Gavin.

And where is Casey?  Did they just fired him too?  http://lhlabs.com/about/

Where did you see the July 2016 date? The update this morning showed the Feb 16 estimate. Not that I believe in any firm date at this point, was just curious where the July 16 info was coming from. 

And Casey's taken a role with a different (much bigger) company (and it was fully his choice as I understand it). 

Cheers 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back