Geek Pulse: Geek desktop DAC/AMP by Light Harmonics
Jul 22, 2015 at 8:56 AM Post #8,461 of 13,800

I had to send my unit back to LH Labs and they replaced the entire DAC board. My issue was unrecoverable. They asked me to try to reflash, but the device was not being recognized as a USB device. All queries of hardware from Linux or Windows showed nothing plugged into the USB port. If the USB port isn't initialized then there is no way to flash the firmware. That was with my single-ended Geek Pulse.

I've got all sorts of other issues with my Pulse X. 
rolleyes.gif
 Right channel static or not playing when sample rate changes, constant static through the headphone amp output. I had to buy an Apple remote so I can tap the volume button a few times to get the right channel to actually lock. Then I find that every few days the remote becomes de-synched with the Pulse X and I have to link them again.

It sounds great, though. It is a tragedy that it isn't reliable. 

Wait, your remote can become out of sync? Are you sure? I thought once sync'd the remotes cannot be unpaired.

Jul 22, 2015 at 9:02 AM Post #8,463 of 13,800
  The remote will randomly stop working. When this happens I have to pair it with the Pulse X again. It gives me the same pairing code, then it works again as normal. This has happened 4-5 times so far.

Interesting. On the LH Labs boards I was asking about what happens if/when the remote fails and we need a new one. I do not wish to risk turning my current remote into a lemon and wasting $25 on a new remote just to find out the answer when this should be general knowledge. 

I guess the pairing code is unique to the source device, not the remote. Every time you pair the apple remote, the remote increments its identifier by 1. if the remote is causing the same identifier number, then it must not be using the apple remote key in the first place.

Jul 22, 2015 at 9:03 AM Post #8,464 of 13,800
  Any comments with the Pulse on the HE-560?

Really good. Well the XFi anyway. Connected via Toxic Virus Hybrid Cable balanced. I also have the same single ended cable and it sounds just as good. Balanced might be better (or placebo). 

Decent soundstage. Not the biggest or anything but good and spacious. Good positioning of sounds. Lovely tone. Good details. Nice bass hit. Not as strong as LCD-X but noticeably stronger than HD-800 with copper cable. 

Jul 22, 2015 at 9:06 AM Post #8,465 of 13,800

I had to send my unit back to LH Labs and they replaced the entire DAC board. My issue was unrecoverable. They asked me to try to reflash, but the device was not being recognized as a USB device. All queries of hardware from Linux or Windows showed nothing plugged into the USB port. If the USB port isn't initialized then there is no way to flash the firmware. That was with my single-ended Geek Pulse.

I've got all sorts of other issues with my Pulse X. 
rolleyes.gif
 Right channel static or not playing when sample rate changes, constant static through the headphone amp output. I had to buy an Apple remote so I can tap the volume button a few times to get the right channel to actually lock. Then I find that every few days the remote becomes de-synched with the Pulse X and I have to link them again.

It sounds great, though. It is a tragedy that it isn't reliable. 

Greg - Sorry to hear that your Pulse is being buggy. Personally have not had a single issue with my Infinity. Hope it gets sorted out. Cheers 

Jul 22, 2015 at 9:18 AM Post #8,466 of 13,800
johnreekie are you using the hifiberry digi+ to connect the raspberry pi to your geek pulse?  

Jul 22, 2015 at 9:23 AM Post #8,468 of 13,800
So, anyone know of a USB IR Transmitter that can do the apple remote pairing thing? I was thinking it would be nice to have a relay setup such that I can use an apple remote as well as my computer to change the volume. Seeing as IR has been around for a while, I figured it would be nice to have it so my mouse with the programmable buttons were able to control the IR transmitter to navigate the menu and/or up and lower the volume.

It would be really awesome to have a setup like this. I say that I want it working both ways because I want to know that I do not need my computer on for my remote to work as I am not always using my PC with the Pulse.

Jul 22, 2015 at 10:46 AM Post #8,469 of 13,800
  johnreekie are you using the hifiberry digi+ to connect the raspberry pi to your geek pulse?  

Hi, no the Pulse is connected via USB. The DIGI+ is for other gizmos that don't use USB.

With that said, I couldn't get Airplay to work to the RPi unless I had an I2S driver selected, and I haven't actually tried the RPi2 standalone. I've ordered a couple more and will try one that way when I get them.

Jul 22, 2015 at 11:42 AM Post #8,471 of 13,800
  No problems so far after two weeks of steady use. Mine is powered on by the wall plug and is in USB mode. Works perfectly with my Windows version of JRiver software.

Leo

Same here. 2-3 week with no issues - it's actually been on that whole time. Running off the LPS4 for power and being fed by JRMC from my PC using the Lightspeed 10G cable. 

As mentioned previously I also upgraded the knob, which actually I think helps a lot. Having a bigger and heavier knob makes it easier to make changes to the volume with just one or two fingers and gives the unit a more solid feeling IMO. Can be an issue however if you use the remote control as it mostly covers up the IR port. 

Cheers 

Jul 22, 2015 at 11:47 AM Post #8,472 of 13,800
  Same here. 2-3 week with no issues - it's actually been on that whole time. Running off the LPS4 for power and being fed by JRMC from my PC using the Lightspeed 10G cable. 

As mentioned previously I also upgraded the knob, which actually I think helps a lot. Having a bigger and heavier knob makes it easier to make changes to the volume with just one or two fingers and gives the unit a more solid feeling IMO. Can be an issue however if you use the remote control as it mostly covers up the IR port. 

Cheers 

What is the original material of the knob?

Would it not make sense to just replace the stock knob with one of the same size but denser/heavier material? I would imagine it would still provide some of the same benefits but less drawbacks.

Jul 22, 2015 at 11:55 AM Post #8,474 of 13,800
I have used the coaxial input, and thought that there isn't much difference as compared to USB based on initial impressions.  I have not tested it thoroughly, but I certainly do not feel that it is horrible.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back