Geek Pulse: Geek desktop DAC/AMP by Light Harmonics
Sep 7, 2016 at 3:02 PM Post #11,731 of 13,800
After few email exchanges with LHlabs, obviously you must send the Infinity back to them for them to add the shield back, and opening the Infinity will just void the warranty (luckily they didn't ask me how did I find out the damn shield is missing), and they will cover up to $40 for shipping. It is reasonable, but if I am an international backer I will surely be pissed.

Sep 7, 2016 at 4:11 PM Post #11,732 of 13,800
  No kidding.  Tried to check my pulse, but there isn't enough light inside it, so I can't get a pic to check it.

Was it plugged in and turned on? 

Sep 7, 2016 at 4:51 PM Post #11,733 of 13,800
Makes me nervous when I read about folks not able to check their pulses..:D

Sep 8, 2016 at 7:30 AM Post #11,736 of 13,800
No kidding.  Tried to check my pulse, but there isn't enough light inside it, so I can't get a pic to check it.

I have been able to look inside visually in bright daylight if you hold the lock up to your eye with some space so you dont totally cover up the hold (enough light goes in to be able to see the board layout).

Unfortunately this means turning off the Pulse and it is alwayaba crapshoot whether it will sync or lock to a signal and play stuff back again :frowning2:

Sep 8, 2016 at 11:35 AM Post #11,737 of 13,800
I have been able to look inside visually in bright daylight if you hold the lock up to your eye with some space so you dont totally cover up the hold (enough light goes in to be able to see the board layout).

Unfortunately this means turning off the Pulse and it is alwayaba crapshoot whether it will sync or lock to a signal and play stuff back again
frown.gif

No joke.

There must have been an outage over night at work last night because when I came in this morning my Infinity v2 wouldn't properly sync to the PC. It froze and made all my videos choppy. Then on YouTube it wouldn't let any videos play. Switched to onboard soundcard, all worked perfectly. Back to Pulse, frozen. Then I shut if off for a power cycle. HA! Took me 45mins of different hocuspocus, combination power cycling and connecting to get it to register in the LH Labs control panel again. After that I couldn't get the sound to work right, same freezing video and no audio deal as before. Turning that thing off is THE DEVIL. It had stayed on for a month, straight, not a single issue...

Anyway, just fired off a support ticket, so we'll see how long that takes. I'm also going to push my luck and update to the new MCU and firmware... My warranty is about to run out anyway, 1 year's almost up.

Sep 10, 2016 at 10:30 PM Post #11,738 of 13,800
  Same exact problem here.  At first it was the LPS4 that just quit but it turns back on after power cycle, then, the screen of the Pulse Infinity disappeared and didn't come back after power cycle.  Music continues to play and volume knob does not respond.

It appears that both issues are related like LPS4 causing the Pulse Infinity to fail.  Looks like I am returning both units.  Very sad here since I do not have any back-up.
frown.gif

Just responding to my own post here.  My problem on the LPS4 and Pulse Infinity was resolved without returning both units back!  It was the damn fuse!  It took me and LH Labs tech a month to troubleshoot the issue.

So to those who are having intermittent light showing in the LPS or the Pulse display went blank and volume knob is dead but there is sound going out of it, replace the fuse on the LPS, then update the firmware of the matrix MCU to version 1.27.

Quickie get fast acting glass fuse with 1A, 250V, 5x20mm from your local hardware store and replace them later on with ceramic slow blow you can buy for $3.98 for 5 pcs from eBay.  Of course you have the option of replacing them with "audiophile grade" to your liking.

Sep 14, 2016 at 3:13 PM Post #11,741 of 13,800
Hi all

I am set to buy a Geek Pulse Infinity 2.0

I was doing some more reading, though, and it seems the reviews, especially the quality of the RCA outputs, is kind of being trashed.  Over at Part Time Audiophile more than just kind of... the RCA analog output was completely trashed.  

Well, I have an unbalanced tube headphone amp to connect to.  

So my question to the forum is exactly how bad are the RCA outputs?  Is it possible to use an XLR-RCA adapter on the balanced outputs instead?

Thanks!

Sep 14, 2016 at 5:27 PM Post #11,742 of 13,800
  Hi all

I am set to buy a Geek Pulse Infinity 2.0

I was doing some more reading, though, and it seems the reviews, especially the quality of the RCA outputs, is kind of being trashed.  Over at Part Time Audiophile more than just kind of... the RCA analog output was completely trashed.  

Well, I have an unbalanced tube headphone amp to connect to.  

So my question to the forum is exactly how bad are the RCA outputs?  Is it possible to use an XLR-RCA adapter on the balanced outputs instead?

Thanks!

My SE RCA outputs on the Pulse X Infinity 2.0 work just fine.  What article on PTA are you referring to?

Sep 14, 2016 at 9:02 PM Post #11,743 of 13,800

My SE RCA outputs on the Pulse X Infinity 2.0 work just fine.  What article on PTA are you referring to?

Here.

https://parttimeaudiophile.com/2016/01/30/review-aune-s16-dac/

Users who are viewing this thread

Back