Geek Pulse: Geek desktop DAC/AMP by Light Harmonics
Jan 26, 2016 at 11:07 PM Post #10,741 of 13,800
So some of us have waited an eternity on Pulse Infinity...

Well, the latest epistle from Gavin is that the new PCBs are tested 100% good, and "we will resume the full speed of the production of this last batch. Three weeks from now,  we will get the big batch of final assembled PCBs. And ship out speed will go back on track". 

We'll just have to wait and see about this. I just hope the thing works when it finally arrives, and keeps working. All the reports of failure and malfunction have me as nervous about this unit as the eternal wait. I see Gavin and Larry are giving a talk “Delivering on the Promise of High Resolution USB Audio” at Brooks Berdan's Winter Event. Delivery has me more interested than promises....

Jan 26, 2016 at 11:18 PM Post #10,742 of 13,800

Well, the latest epistle from Gavin is that the new PCBs are tested 100% good, and "we will resume the full speed of the production of this last batch. Three weeks from now,  we will get the big batch of final assembled PCBs. And ship out speed will go back on track". 

We'll just have to wait and see about this. I just hope the thing works when it finally arrives, and keeps working. All the reports of failure and malfunction have me as nervous about this unit as the eternal wait. I see Gavin and Larry are giving a talk “Delivering on the Promise of High Resolution USB Audio” at Brooks Berdan's Winter Event. Delivery has me more interested than promises....

It's interesting that all the updates lately have come from Larry, not Gavin. I really like the stuff I've received from LH Labs but their timelines have never been met. And methods of delivery on accurate delivery are horrible. Don't hold your breath, people. Just remember we all crowd sourced products and we get what we get.

Jan 27, 2016 at 1:37 AM Post #10,743 of 13,800

I kinda like that. I'll think of my (yet to be delivered) unit as the Pulse Eternity now. 
wink.gif

Truth is, I am enjoying my vanilla Pulse quite a bit with the Liquid Carbon. Had to send it in once for repair, but been rock solid since.

Jan 27, 2016 at 2:45 AM Post #10,744 of 13,800
  It's interesting that all the updates lately have come from Larry, not Gavin.

I think LH Labs figured out that people like Larry more. He's more trust worthy and plays on our emotions of being a fellow audiophile vs. being a "business man". I don't mean that to sound like a dcik, I've just been noticing the same thing and wondering about it.

I kinda like that. I'll think of my (yet to be delivered) unit as the Pulse Eternity now. 
wink.gif

I can't say in ANY way, shape or form that I like any part of the delays. There's no upside to it. Calling your unit the Pulse Eternity does make perfect sense now. Think you could make a little silkscreen for that and put it on the front? Haha.

Good to hear the standard Pulse is working well with your Liquid Carbon. I'm trying to think of a VERY cost effective, truly balanced, not small but certainly no bigger than the Pulse Infinity, amp that I can connect to my Infinity 2.0 for office duty in the near future. 

Jan 27, 2016 at 6:09 AM Post #10,746 of 13,800
Does anyone else prefer the Geek Out V2+Infinity over the Pulse XFi?

Not quite your setup but I've had Geek Out V2 and I thought it was very close in sound quality to the Pulse/Pulse Fi.

(I don't travel a lot, so I just found the Geek Out form factor 'not optimal' for a desktop setup. It would either hang off a USB port which put a strain on the assembly (I had to return mine twice - not sure if related) or use an interim hub/ extension cable).

Jan 27, 2016 at 6:39 AM Post #10,747 of 13,800
I have been having issues with my Sfi lately. When I changed sampling rate it used to  give an intermittent "helicopter" noise from the left channel that ceased after a few turns of the volume knob. Now it makes the same noises from the right channel, but when I turn the volume knob the noise ceases, and I have no volume from the left channel. It comes back only after a power cycle. This is all very annoying, anybody facing the same problem?

Jan 27, 2016 at 8:31 AM Post #10,748 of 13,800
Love the Pulse Eternity name! So true!

To all the people complaining about warranties... It's the nature of the crowdfunded beast! Nobody even guarantees that you will even receive your unit.. Obviously, it's on LH Labs' best intentions to deliver... Even if it took 3 yrs almost

Jan 27, 2016 at 9:43 AM Post #10,749 of 13,800
With this latest update I bet I won't see my Pulse Infinity before the start of summer :frowning2: At this rate I'll get my Source before my Pulse.
Glad I got my LC cause at this rate it'll be 2017 before the HPA ships

Jan 27, 2016 at 2:16 PM Post #10,750 of 13,800
LC should do fine...waiting for the Vi tube DAC, Source and Wave, the LC and MicroZOTL are doing fine, thank you!

Jan 27, 2016 at 4:54 PM Post #10,751 of 13,800
  There's a little icon on your task bar, looks like speaker. If you click it you can use the slider to adjust the volume. Also on the LH control panel you can set how you want to control the volume. But as others have stated, I wouldn't recommend it. The Pulse and Geek likes to reset to max volume.

This isn't just a pulse/geek issue. My Emotiva XDA 2 loves doing that too. I think its a USB class 2 issue. 

Jan 28, 2016 at 7:36 AM Post #10,754 of 13,800
I don't believe that the xda-2 uses USB for volume.

So it could be Windows resetting the volume... Or does the physical volume setting on the xda-2 change?

The XDA2 itself never controls the volume. It just controls the amount of amping. Like when amps have low/med/high switches the xda2 allows you to adjust exactly to the amount of amping you need. Windows volume is the only want to adjust it up or down.  Although I've seen different displays from others xda so I'm assuming in earlier or later firmwares this changed. 

And going back to Class 1 and Class 2. The XDA2 has 2 sets of drivers. The Class 2 drivers can only be loaded at startup. Whereas the Class 1 drivers defaults when the device is turned on after the computer boots up. When the device goes from Class 1 to Class 2 drivers is when the volume for me can spike. Here is a video showing the difference. Class 2 maxes @ 32/192 and Class 1 maxes @ 24/44k. I am not sure if the Pulse/Geek has the same issue.

Jan 28, 2016 at 10:06 PM Post #10,755 of 13,800
Weeks and weeks. Still no word from the RMA team. I have lost complete faith at this point. Wouldn't be surprised if they are going under. Would actually make sense as to why they won't take my XFi back to fix it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back