Geek Pulse: Geek desktop DAC/AMP by Light Harmonics
Mar 6, 2015 at 7:24 PM Post #6,271 of 13,800
Geez the Pulse perks are all gone? It was supposed to be till 6pm Pacific time wasn't it? I only just saw the last minute email stating the new 1pm deadline.

Sometimes I really hate the time difference. Gotta open a new ticket it seems. Hopefully they'll grant an exception.

Mar 6, 2015 at 7:54 PM Post #6,272 of 13,800
Geez the Pulse perks are all gone? It was supposed to be till 6pm Pacific time wasn't it? I only just saw the last minute email stating the new 1pm deadline.

Sometimes I really hate the time difference. Gotta open a new ticket it seems. Hopefully they'll grant an exception.

Might have gotten the time and date confused. Here's the text from the LHL update from 3 days ago (bold formatting is mine)

"That’s right, folks.  Pulse and LPS are no longer going to be available for contributions effective 1PM Pacific time on Friday, March 6." 

Hope they are able to help  you!

Mar 6, 2015 at 7:57 PM Post #6,274 of 13,800
Timing of Pulse Chip testing results

OK. I understand this stuff takes time. The problem is that the perk you are making available is available for less than the time it takes to obtain the necessary information to decide whether or not to back the perk.

I believe I am now out of time to back the perk so that's that. In the mean time, it seems you have the gerber but it will take at least 2 more weeks to get results.

It is still annoying though that you tout all these things without having done the testing and now I am stuck waiting for the new case which I never asked for. Would you consider shipping my infinity in the old case since I have not backed the ESS Chip perk and you will still need to use an old board to ship my infinity? Will it make time to ship faster, especially since you say in your post that the "vast majority" of people have chosen to back the 2015 chip perk?

Oh Waaaahhhh... had you heard how the Pulse sounded when you backed it? Had you seen lab test results? How about when you backed the balanced X perk? Femto clock? THD? Naked resistors? Who here had heard how any of these sounded or improved the Pulse. How about measurements for these perks?

No?? Yet you DEMAND testing, measurements and sound quality assessment before backing a $22 perk for a DAC that you have already put almost $1000 into.

Waaaaaahhhhh!

Firmware

In relation to the above explanation (and I admit I only did software programming to a very basic degree and never professionally), it seems very unlikely to me that you can interrogate the driver and can get back a result of "Geek Out HD Audio 1v5" or similar and yet you cannot do that for your dfu update program. Can you not simply write a wrapper that recycles the code that you already have for the control panel app and do a check before passing on the reference to the file to your dfu update program?
If I go to window's control panel, I can clearly see that under the LHLabs USB 2.0 devices tab, my geek out is identified as LH Labs Geek Out. How do you not know what device is being attached at the time?
Anyway, I hope Larry comes back on this because I don't think your answer was satisfactory given you do not have the full picture or technical competence on firmware writing.

I am definitely with you in this one. This seems more like laziness in not creating a custom updater program that verifies the unit model before pushing the update.

J.P.

Mar 6, 2015 at 8:21 PM Post #6,275 of 13,800
Might have gotten the time and date confused. Here's the text from the LHL update from 3 days ago (bold formatting is mine)

"[COLOR=2A2A2A]That’s right, folks.  Pulse and LPS are no longer going to be available for contributions effective 1PM Pacific time on Friday, March 6." [/COLOR]

[COLOR=2A2A2A]Hope they are able to help  you![/COLOR]

Ahh yes I just saw that too. But I'm 99.99% sure when viewing the perk itself on the IGG page that it mentioned a 9am deadline. Fingers crossed!

Mar 7, 2015 at 12:32 AM Post #6,276 of 13,800
Nope, also  understood it that it was as 1pm, Friday March 6. 

Bro. problem is, why you waited.

Mar 7, 2015 at 1:54 AM Post #6,277 of 13,800
Yea someone PM-ed telling me it certainly was 1pm. Shucks.

My bank account has been draining at an alarming rate as of late in preparation for coming to the States for my summer studies (UCB). I wasn't planning on anymore perks, but in a late rush of extra funds and optimism, I kinda changed my mind... too late it seems.

Mar 7, 2015 at 3:20 AM Post #6,278 of 13,800
Well, you could spend the extra on others (power conditioners, better cables etc.)

Are save it up for rainy days/other opportunities.

Mar 7, 2015 at 7:57 AM Post #6,279 of 13,800
Thanks jay.

I made a form:

Geek Pulse Survey (http://goo.gl/forms/Ex4x6jr9yr)

Please remember to save the edit link so you can update:

Thanks.
Also for reference, I used to have a ticket in the old system that told my place in the queue. IIRC my 1/21/14 order was #239 in the Xfi queue. Unfortunately the I don't think we can view old tickets anymore so I can be 100% sure.

Edit: corrected queue number, found old ticket email

Mar 7, 2015 at 3:48 PM Post #6,280 of 13,800
Thanks.
Also for reference, I used to have a ticket in the old system that told my place in the queue. IIRC my 1/21/14 order was #284 in the Xfi queue. Unfortunately the I don't think we can view old tickets anymore so I can be 100% sure.

That's encouraging! I'd guess you may have moved up in the Xfi queue significantly thanks to others upgrading further and leaving the Xfi queue. But even without that, assuming serial numbers are consecutive, they're over 1/3 through the queue in front of you as @jaywillin received Xfi s/n 104 last week.

Mar 8, 2015 at 10:10 PM Post #6,281 of 13,800
That's encouraging! I'd guess you may have moved up in the Xfi queue significantly thanks to others upgrading further and leaving the Xfi queue. But even without that, assuming serial numbers are consecutive, they're over 1/3 through the queue in front of you as @jaywillin received Xfi s/n 104 last week.

This assumes that the first system was 001, not 101, or something else. I have no expectations that LHL has a rational and reasonable serial number schema.
I am a Oct 2013 contributor (or perkee, or whatever the correct term is) and not yet gotten a shipping notice for my Xfi.

Like many others, I have adopted a "I will get it when I get it" philosophy in order to maintain my sanity about LHL and their products.

Mar 9, 2015 at 3:35 PM Post #6,282 of 13,800
Received my Xfi today.  My initial excitement is tempered by a disturbing sound I experience when changing tracks that have different sampling rates - several seconds of static, primarily in the left channel.  Changing between albums/tracks that have the same sampling rate is fine. I'm curious to find out if anyone else is having the same experience.  I get the feeling that I have a defective unit.

Edit:  Ran into an additional issue - volume spike!  This occurred after changing to a track that had a different sample rate, experiencing the static for a few seconds, then the volume spike to what appeared to be max volume.  I'm hesitant to use my Xfi after this - going back to my vanilla Pulse until this can be addressed.

Mar 9, 2015 at 4:12 PM Post #6,283 of 13,800
That sucks, I hope you figure it out!

Meanwhile, LHL keeps promising us more communication regarding shipping and updates on our Pulses and make a nice step when they promise something only to make it the final update. Diana's shipping chart hasn't updated in forever and in none of the LH updates have they said anything about shipping of our Pulses recently. Also, where is this survey that was supposed to be ready like two weeks ago?

Mar 9, 2015 at 4:45 PM Post #6,285 of 13,800
  How does this sound compared to Benchmark DAC2 and Geek Out?

Pulse > GO

Blacker background, better separation, more power so it can better drive certain cans, bass had a bit more authority, a bit more extension in the highs and lows.

Hereby we can safely assume that the Pulse Xfi trounces the GO.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back