GCHA has arrived!
Dec 2, 2005 at 2:14 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 12

skullguise

Headphoneus Supremus
This will only be a brief teaser....the amp is still literally cold.
But it's hooked up in my system and running (Eastsound CD-E5 to Belles 250i integrated via Oritek X-1, fed to the amp from the Tape Outs via Aural Thrills Active Palladium).

This is going to be my top amp, I think. Even cold out of the box, it sounds BIG and effortless! Bass is very deep and controlled, though midbass a little fat right now. Jude had described his evaluation unit as having some nice bloom, ALMOST like a tube amp. And this has it indeed.

This is doing an extremely nice job right now, I'm listening w/AKG 701's to Sarah McLachlan "Freedom Sessions," which is a well-recorded batch of songs.

A little sibilance in the highs, too, but I expect it to go away soon enough.

I will leave it on - as Jude also mentioned, it stays with some power as long as it's plugged in. The on/off click on the volume knob lights the LED and I guess enables output. Need to read up on it more.

Hope to get more impressions with it warmed up more this weekend, and compare it to my Dynahi, using the CD direct to amps. Headphoens include Sony SA-5K and CD-3K, Grado SR-325i and HF-1, and AKG 701. Heck, this amp may even cause me to re-buy some Senn's
600smile.gif

More to come, hopefully Saturday or Sunday! Pics included....

Dec 2, 2005 at 2:23 AM Post #2 of 12
the GCHA is a great amp! it definitely has a tube like sound, but retains accuracy and speed. if i wasn't a tube head, the GCHA would probably be my amp. i'm very glad i got a chance to audition one.

Dec 2, 2005 at 6:57 AM Post #4 of 12
Must be the Aural Thrills Palladium cabling that's making it sound so good.
biggrin.gif
Who ever owned those before must have done a really good job of breaking them in for you.

Seriously, thanks for the introduction to the GCHA. I'll be looking for your further thoughts on the amp once you've had a few weeks with it.

Dec 2, 2005 at 1:21 PM Post #5 of 12
Ahhh, "The Freedom Sessions" I love that album, it's been a staple in my collection since the day it came out. It's not only great musically but sonically it has a lot going for it as well.

By all accounts the GCHA seems to be a real winner, I look forward to reading more impressions of it.

Dec 2, 2005 at 10:58 PM Post #7 of 12
Shipped Monday, arrived Thursday the same week.

I posted it in another GCHA thread, but I ordered through Music Direct, and a special deal they had on no-interest/no-payment until Jan '07 with their credit card.

Dec 2, 2005 at 11:01 PM Post #8 of 12
Quote:

Originally Posted by Edwood
Post some pics and more impressions later on, thanks.

Definately. Please post some pics.
biggrin.gif

Dec 3, 2005 at 1:42 AM Post #9 of 12
OK, here's a link to some pics, sorry if they don't show the amp in an "organized" way. It's clear thet PS Audio took the power supply seriously. It clearly shows in the power and ease of delivery....

I'm listening more, to Sarah McLachlan again, and also some Shpongle (BTW, thanks to PinkFloyd and others for their music thread, these guys are GREAT). Immediacy, dynamics, and detail are AWESOME. It's still got a little sibilance, but I think I hear less of it than last night (it was left on all day, with tuner signal fed into it).

I've hooked up the Eastsound directly to the amp now, using the Oritek X-1's. There is an amazing Grado-like clarity and speed, yet the soundstage is pretty big, and everything in the soundstage sounds big as well. THis is with the AKG 701's, which may not be fully burned in despite perhaps 100+ hours on them. I'll have to try my other phones as well.

Need to get my son to bed now, I hope to get some more listening in tonight. I'm not going to post any kind of formal review, I'd like to have this burned in a ton before I do so. But I'll continue the initial impressions for a while.

Dec 3, 2005 at 7:01 PM Post #12 of 12
I hope to, but it may not be so soon....

At least while this is burning in, it is up-front, in your face, detailed, yet big sounding. Reminds me a LOT of some of the Grado sounds I've heard (I own the 325i and HF-1, and have owned the DR-60 and SR-225 in the past).

I think it will mellow a bit with age, but I still think it'd be a fine match to Senn's, based on my experience with their sound (580 w/Cardas, 595, 650 w/Silver Dragon).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back