GAS?
Sep 30, 2014 at 5:47 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 13

earthastronaut

New Head-Fier
Do you Headfiers suffer from GAS? (Gear Acquisition Syndrome) If so, how bad is your case?
evil_smiley.gif

I've a nice closed back and a nice open back headphones. I'm going to buy one more closed back and 2 amps. That's it. I'll be satisfied and can't seem to think of a reason to get more "head-fi" gear. 

Sep 30, 2014 at 7:31 AM Post #2 of 13
GAS is something I really have to be careful to not get, thankfully I have other hobbies that limit my budget. That kinda slows everything down. I haven't bought anything Audio except for some Comply foam tips since I got my desktop rig.

I'm scheming for closed cans, and more Bottlehead gear. That's about it. Oh a record cleaning machine. Pointless without a new record player, with a nice cartridge to hear all the benefits. I might want to upgrade my phono pre then... but really I should get some speakers first... which means redoing my desk area with new shelfs....................................

..."Welcome to Head-Fi, sorry about your wallet!"

Sep 30, 2014 at 8:25 AM Post #4 of 13
The list of DIYS I have piled up is much much worse for me than GAS buildup :wink:.

Oct 1, 2014 at 6:39 AM Post #5 of 13
  GAS is something I really have to be careful to not get, thankfully I have other hobbies that limit my budget. That kinda slows everything down. I haven't bought anything Audio except for some Comply foam tips since I got my desktop rig.

I'm scheming for closed cans, and more Bottlehead gear. That's about it. Oh a record cleaning machine. Pointless without a new record player, with a nice cartridge to hear all the benefits. I might want to upgrade my phono pre then... but really I should get some speakers first... which means redoing my desk area with new shelfs....................................

..."Welcome to Head-Fi, sorry about your wallet!"

Haha. I had this problem with guitars but since I had all kinds of sounds I wanted, I've been controlling myself. I still wouldn't mind having this or that guitar but I already have the "tools" that I need and gear occupies space very fast. 

About audio, of course, since I'm studying Music Production and acoustics (engineering), I'm going to want a reverb and compressors (hardware) but this forum is about head-fi and I don't see myself having such a hard time with GAS about head-fi stuff. I've 2 high-end pair of cans at home, 2 amps and now I just want a small comfortable headset for just listening purposes (and not audio critique/analysis).

The only foreseeable possibility I see is starting to listening to vinyl records. I normally just listen to FLAC or WAV format though.

Oct 1, 2014 at 10:16 AM Post #7 of 13
Depending on some money/materials things, light sound proofing of a room and more audio cables... but what I really want is to build a Bottlehead phono pre in a custom enclosure. There's way more on the list I know I can't do for a while, such is life.

Oct 1, 2014 at 10:47 AM Post #8 of 13
I've a nice closed back and a nice open back headphones. I'm going to buy one more closed back and 2 amps. That's it. I'll be satisfied and can't seem to think of a reason to get more "head-fi" gear.  

Don't delude yourself about the addiction. Once you get that setup you describe, it'll be time to work on your home audio speaker/theater system. Then once you get that going, you'll be ready to upgrade your headphones for better sound quality. Then back to the home audio. LOL

What does your home audio speaker setup look like right now? :wink:

Oct 2, 2014 at 10:17 AM Post #9 of 13
Don't delude yourself about the addiction. Once you get that setup you describe, it'll be time to work on your home audio speaker/theater system. Then once you get that going, you'll be ready to upgrade your headphones for better sound quality. Then back to the home audio. LOL

What does your home audio speaker setup look like right now?
wink.gif

I've worked on my home audio on off for years.I now own 4 pair of Klipsch Heresy of different vintages. Living in an apartment I'm only afforded so much time to actually "turn it up"...though living in my building since 1999 I'm allowed some leniency. Car stereo systems require gas to be able to enjoy them to the fullest, so that you can drive and bother others for only a brief moment until you're out of their range of hearing. This whole Head-Fi thing is really new to me, but I'm quickly learning of the advantages especially as I sit here in the foyer of Rhode Island College's School of Social Work studying for a Psych exam I have in a couple of hours, and I can't hear anybodies conversations around me.

Unfortunately I only have my SCL5's to listen to my new X5 through. Tomorrow will be better when I pick up my 846's. I'm sure I'll be happy with my set up then. But then I keep reading about some DAP that starts with the letters "AK". Then there are custom IE's??? Naw...I'll be good with what I have. I'm sure of it...lol.
rolleyes.gif

Oct 2, 2014 at 10:38 AM Post #11 of 13
You can always add a killer sub
biggrin.gif

Velodyne HGS-12 sub for home system (max 3000w). Too heavy to carry for my portable system...
etysmile.gif

Oct 2, 2014 at 10:56 AM Post #13 of 13
You are due for an upgrade. That's only 12" sealed sub.
biggrin.gif

I've considered adding a second 180 degrees out of phase at the other end of the room, and have already purchased the cable long enough to make it possible
biggrin.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back