Garmin NUVI line QC issues of late? Anyone?...Anyone?...Bueller?
Jun 26, 2007 at 3:05 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 2

Squeek

Headphoneus Supremus
I posted this at GPSpassion a few days ago. Apparently a lot of folks seem to be having trouble acquiring satellites with their NUVI line GPS within the last month or so...

I bought my first NUVI 350 about a year and a half ago. The thing was amazing! I could have buried it in a pit in my basement and it would still get a signal. Sadly, it had to be returned after an accident, and I got another one this week.

Today, I was out running errands and decided to take it with me. For the first two hours it worked as well as my first one. Then all of a sudden it just dropped the satellites. It then proceeds to ask if you are indoors, if you have moved hundreds of KM since it was last used and if it is todays date.

I was downtown Ottawa, it was a little cloudy, but it should not have dropped the signal completely. I was in much worse situations in the same (or worse) area with my first one and it NEVER, and I do mean never, dropped signal.

It took 2 hours for it to pick up the signal again, which lasted for 2 minutes, but now it is back again. It seems to be okay now, as I type this in my computer room, but the last thing I need is a GPS that can't be trusted. It's like buying a fire extinguisher that may or may not put out fires depending on the day.

I read that Garmin went to a 3rd party vendor for antennas in their NUVI 250, perhaps they have decided to dump that in the newer version 350?

I have since ordered a new unit and will return this defective one to Costco, just wondering if anyone here has a similar experience or insight.

Jun 26, 2007 at 5:55 AM Post #2 of 2
bought a garmin zumo 550 2 weeks ago and it can pick up signal from my garage. Try upgrading to star sirf3 it really works wonder =)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back