Gamma2 + M-Stage or DAC19 + C2 or something better than FUN
Nov 6, 2010 at 5:36 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 2

Gauss1777

Head-Fier
I first make a point, Im asking about DACs, Amps and Headphones, I don't see a sense as why to make 3 posts in different forums, I hope I find this forum to be the appropiate one, or could it be simply as to make the question "Matrix M-Stage vs Audio-GD C2 for all-around listening price wise?" If you don't want to read the whole story just jump to the end. Thank you 
smile_phones.gif

I have read a lot of reviews, seems that the Audio GD FUN it's already a very good solution for what I need, but still reading I've found that an Audinst HUD-MX1 + Matrix M-stage "beats the FUN hands down". I don't have experience as an Audiophile but I'm starting to enjoy my music more and more also when I listen things I've never heard before.

Researching I've found a Gamma 2 DAC would be something between the HUD-MX1 and the Audio GD DAC19 as SQ/Performance point. At first I was thinking about a DacMagic but later I read "it wasn't any better than a Nuforce uDAC-2" so the Gamma2 was the clear alternative at this price point.

I've been very temped to try since the beginning a Matrix M-Stage since it's a clone of the Lehmann Black Cube Linear, which I found to be really expensive. Now I wonder how much difference would be between a C2 and an M-Stage and which would be better? Taste preference? Cans dependant decision?

I asked Audio-GD about a price for both, the DAC19-DSP and the C2, shipped are USD1085 but maybe I'd have to pay import taxes when I receive both so it would be around USD1258 I hope. That hurts my wallet somewhat but If I wait 1 or 2 months I would be able to pick such a deal with pleasure.

The other alternative is the Gamma2 + Matrix M-Stage at around 650 700 USD including import fees, yes a little expensive over what would be the normal price, but I could pull the trigger right now and enjoy both for december.

Now the other part of the chain, the headphones. I'm using right now Sennheiser HD555 cans. I know these cans would be enough for a FUN, but I found this cans dull in sound and a sore experience to my ears and to my head (comfort) so this is clear, I must change them for something better and almost for sure for something not Sennheiser since reading I've found all cans would have the same issue with the exception of the HD800. What would be some cans at HD650 price but with more comfort, less darker in sound still with deep and clear bass/mids/treble? I want to listen Björk and Katie Melua the closest possible to real hehe. I also enjoy Vivaldi, AC/DC, etc so this is hard, I don't want to get 2 or 3 different expensive cans/amps combos, for that case I rather pick some HD800 with the savings of 3 months.

It's hard to pick a decision when starting so please be pacient with me. I'm using right now an iPod Classic 6.5G as source with ALAC files. I found ALAC files to really be a difference between mp3 files even with the apple earbuds. Why an iPod? I don't have access to usb on the pc at work, my pc at home has onboard sound, useless! I've been even thinking to get an Onkyo ND-S1 as I found it to be better than a soundcard, has remote, it's silent, more compact than a UMPC and less expensive, I won't have to buy another DAP, I still have 160GB and I can even take it to the work. Good as source? I don't know. I read an Acer One with Ubuntu could give better SQ than a ND-S1... darn!

I have DIY skills, I'm an engineer with soldering skills. I have even think about getting the Lovely Cube finished board, build the gamma2 or other DAC, put both maybe in the same case with a DIY PSU and rock on! I haven't read too much about DIY alternatives. I found the M-Stage to be a better alternative than the Lovely Cube due to being a finished product with full PCB, etc.

What would you do in my place?

- Wait 2 months and get DAC19 + C2? Is it really better than a Gamma2 + M-Stage?
- Try something different and cheaper than the DAC19 + C2 combo; I would want to try something with PCM1704UK chips... if the FUN had those chips LOL!

What cans would you use with the C2? ... and with the M-Stage?  ... or in general for deep bass but not boomy, clear female voices and not veiled, clean and smooth treble, not a spark hurting treble. Should I wait 3 months after getting my dac/amp combo for some HD800? LOL. They should be comfortable cans and not with a technology "redirecting everything directly to your ear", the HD555 hurts my ears as any earbud, which is why I don't like earbuds. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back