Gamma-2 (γ2) DAC Thread
Jun 4, 2010 at 9:39 PM Post #1,907 of 2,154
If you're going for the full++/y2 build then yes, you need both parts of the y1, the y2, and the y2 box enclosure. There are MANY options for building the dac though, so make sure to read AMB's documentation on his website :)

Jun 5, 2010 at 3:09 AM Post #1,909 of 2,154

Quote:
I am a little bit lost over all of the options available. Any suggestions on either stable builds/features, or the best quality sound?

All the configurations are "stable" and offer quality sound.  Which option to choose depends on what features and functions you want and need.  Read the y1/y2 websites for complete details.

Jun 7, 2010 at 2:33 PM Post #1,910 of 2,154
I have replaced the default MKS output bypass caps with Wima MKP2s and I'm detecting an improvement to the bass and treble.
evil_smiley.gif

Jun 16, 2010 at 4:58 AM Post #1,911 of 2,154
I really don't know how, but somehow my y2 got messed up. The right channel now sound like crap, when bass sounds on left the right is cracking like hell. I checked everything I could, I reflowd the complete right channel. After that I checked the sound at every point, and it seems like the right channel of the opa messed up somehow, because the music is good right after the dac both +- testpoints and it is also good before R15 but the opa side solder point of R15 gives cracking sound. Could somebody help me what could cause this, or tell me if not the opa, then what is the problem?

Jun 16, 2010 at 6:41 AM Post #1,912 of 2,154
Ok, now i know that the opa is bad. I airwired the opa's left channel to the right and the sound was clear, so I ordered the opa again. I will upload pictures of the flying opa later :)

Jun 19, 2010 at 6:39 PM Post #1,913 of 2,154
how much does this all cost with the Full++/y2? i was looking at the jambo DAC, then realized it only supports 44.1kHz, i need more than that

Jun 19, 2010 at 9:05 PM Post #1,914 of 2,154
The y1 full++ cost me about $100 before shipping, and the y2 costs around $90 before shipping. This is without an enclosure.

Quote:
how much does this all cost with the Full++/y2? i was looking at the jambo DAC, then realized it only supports 44.1kHz, i need more than that

Jun 20, 2010 at 1:08 AM Post #1,915 of 2,154
okay thats not bad, thank you for the quick reply.

Jun 22, 2010 at 1:21 AM Post #1,916 of 2,154
hey all, 

I've finally got all of the parts together for my y2 and found the time to put it together, but of course, I screwed something up... I put the two boards together and connected it to usb and everything seems to work except there is no sound from the rca's. the led does switch to green when I press play on my computer, so that is working. I think my voltages are fine, but here they are:
Top VCC test point = 4.87
4.5v test = 4.73
3.3v test = 3.28
Bottom VCC test = 4.87

and the two 5v test points by the bottom VCC are 4.87 and 4.9 volts.

Any ideas?? thanks in advance!

Jun 22, 2010 at 2:41 AM Post #1,917 of 2,154
NVM all, I was troubleshooting for awhile, and turns out reflowing the X1 did the trick... I didnt really know how to do that on right any ways so that figures that was it... Thanks all, and I apologize for the unnecessary posts... and finally...

A BIG thanks to AMB and MisterX for their time and effort, as well as this awesome forum. 3 months of waiting... and now its alive! Thanks! 
dt880smile.png

Jul 2, 2010 at 6:24 AM Post #1,920 of 2,154
Howdy amazing troubleshooting resourse that is this thread.

My (ex-)DAC has malfunctioned after 5 minutes of use in it's new home. It was packed very well in the hammond enclosure (no faceplates). It then became unrecognized and ceased outputting music. 

Current pictures available here.

Here's the problem:
Quote:
When I first plug in the usb cable, the selector switch led is bright red and the unit is recognized by my mac (but won't play music). But after a minute or so, the red led begins to flicker, goes dim and then the computer no longer sees the dac. Even when I select it as the audio source from my computer, the led never turns green.

Any ideas?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back