Gamma 1 USB vs Soundcard
Mar 23, 2009 at 9:49 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 8

ChroniCali

1000+ Head-Fier
So I've never owned a soundcard before (an aftermarket one).

I was wondering how a soundcard, like an x-fi or auzen would sound in comparison to the Gamma 1 via USB.

Any comparisons between Gamma 1 and the DAC portion of the Pico as well?

Please take into consideration my setup: PC -> DAC/Soundcard -> Amp -> Speakers.

Thanks.

Mar 24, 2009 at 11:43 PM Post #2 of 8
I'm waiting for any answers on this too
smily_headphones1.gif

Mar 25, 2009 at 7:14 PM Post #3 of 8
My opinion is that the gamma is going to be better b/c it is outside the pc and it's noise. I have an X-Fi titanium and plan to try the gamma as an add on.

I have used external dacs in the past with my pc and they have almost always been an improvement over the sound card.

The Prelude is pretty nice sounding. However,with Vista and 7 a sound card is becoming or is obsolete atm.

Mar 25, 2009 at 9:37 PM Post #4 of 8
Quote:

Originally Posted by spacemanspliff /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The Prelude is pretty nice sounding. However,with Vista and 7 a sound card is becoming or is obsolete atm.

...What are you talking about? Just because Vista uses a different audio driver model does not mean integrated sound suddenly sounds as good as an Auzentech X-Fi Prelude, ESI Juli@, etc.

Mar 25, 2009 at 11:22 PM Post #5 of 8
Quote:

Originally Posted by somestranger26 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
...What are you talking about? Just because Vista uses a different audio driver model does not mean integrated sound suddenly sounds as good as an Auzentech X-Fi Prelude, ESI Juli@, etc.

I believe he means that Vista and 7 may not support these soundcards?

Not sure, but thanks for the responses anyhow, spaceman. Maybe I should post this in the Gamma 1 thread.

Mar 26, 2009 at 12:11 AM Post #6 of 8
lol

No eax is no longer supported for gaming. Been a long week.

I think the gamma would sound better yes.

Mar 26, 2009 at 12:58 AM Post #8 of 8
Quote:

Originally Posted by ChroniCali /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I believe he means that Vista and 7 may not support these soundcards?

Any new card you buy should be supported in XP, Vista, and if it's compatible with Vista, the drivers probably already work with Windows 7.

Quote:

Originally Posted by spacemanspliff
No eax is no longer supported for gaming

Yeah, but it's just been replaced with DS3D and OpenAL, both of which a [decent] sound card can accelerate so it's still viable even disregarding audio quality.

Quote:

Originally Posted by spacemanspliff /img/forum/go_quote.gif
My opinion is that the gamma is going to be better b/c it is outside the pc and it's noise.

This is true, but the high end sound cards like the Xonar and Prelude don't really suffer from this. I only get noise from the Prelude using my IEMs straight out of the jack. And even then, it's extremely low amounts.

Note: I'm not trying to be hostile or anything, I just dislike the way many Head-Fiers talk about sound cards, assuming they're all the level of an integrated solution.

OP: Have you looked at the Xonar Essence STX? It might stand up to an external solution better than the Prelude, Creative X-Fi, etc.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back