Gaming Headset?
Jan 14, 2011 at 10:22 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 10

ssavage

500+ Head-Fier
woo first time back in like a year! haha wb me.
Well now I'm looking for a gaming headset. I was gonna buy trittons but I think I wanna go with a reg headset and attach a mic to it.
So, If you have any suggestions for a good gaming headset 200 and under, that would be great! Also, does anyone know about a good mic to attach to it, one with good quality? thanks a lot.
oh i have m50s but i dont like how they sound for gaming.
I'd like the headsets to be very good for gaming but also good for casual listening to music

Jan 14, 2011 at 10:34 PM Post #2 of 10
If you don't like the way your M50s sound, what are they missing for you? If you want to listen to music with them as well, give us your genre preferences so we can better direct you to phones.

What games do you play rpg, mmo, fps? Do you need phones for hearing minute footsteps around 7 corners and down the long hallway?

Buy a Zalman mic or something cheap, I read lots of good things about the $10 clip on Zalman mics in my gaming community.

Jan 14, 2011 at 10:37 PM Post #3 of 10
I don't know. The m50s for gaming sound really closed. Cant really explain it. I play fps mainly so I'm a soundwhore..haha yeah i love me some footsteps.
I also listen to mainly rap and r&b but I do love me some taylor swift! lol no homo

Jan 14, 2011 at 10:49 PM Post #4 of 10
So you like bass but you don't like the closed sound?

Do you have an AMP or a DAC by any chance?

I play FPS with my Steelseries Siberia or Sony XB700 or Turbine Gold Pros or ATH-CK100 and I can accurately pinpoint everyone no matter what. Find a headset that you like listening to for music and you will be able to game with them, at least it works for me.

If I was you I would try the DT990 or DT880, although they are a little over your budget. The 990 have more bass but the 880 is more of a reference phone, depends what you like.

Jan 14, 2011 at 10:59 PM Post #5 of 10
I love closed headphones but I don't know.. I have Turtlebeach X11's that have been destroyed so I need a new headset. I love the X11s for gaming cause they're so airy. With the m50s it seems way different than when i listen to music. I have a pa2v2(not really impressive) but i dont notice a difference for gaming even though theres a huge one for music

Jan 14, 2011 at 11:38 PM Post #6 of 10
Well, typically, the more bass-light a phone, the more you pickup the footsteps in game since you aren't getting distracted by the explosions. This obviously isn't true for all phones but I am just trying to speak generally.

I would still recommend that you go for phones you like listening to music with and then play games with them. the DT990 32 ohm would work well in my opinion. Other than the Beyerdynamic line, perhaps the ATH-AD700, people are always recommending them for gamers. There is also a tutorial on here for attaching a boom-mic to them. Lots of people I know use the AD700 for FPS, however, they are bass-light so be careful to read up on them as they may not be your cup of tea.

Alternatively the ATH-A700 is the closed version for the AD700, although it doesn't share as great a reputation.

You are welcome to try out either the XB500 or XB700 if you really love your bass, the 500 has more bass impact but many prefer the 700s sound. Its worth reading up on those too as they are quite popular.

Will

Jan 14, 2011 at 11:54 PM Post #7 of 10
Yeah I've heard about the AD700s. This guy Fragtale is a well known halo player that made a tut on here with a mic on it so I might get them. I love bass but I love Sq more. I was also looking into some Beyers though because my M50s give my ears so much pain. I cant stand them for more than a couple of hours so I really want a headset that is soft on the ears :p

Jan 24, 2011 at 12:57 PM Post #8 of 10
Want a real headset? Buy one with mic integrated. Using Sennheiser hd 595 with attachable mic, and the quality isn't nice, and I also need to talk loud.

Jan 24, 2011 at 2:21 PM Post #9 of 10
Are mainly going with PC gaming, or console gaming? There is a thread which compares a few gaming headsets, you should check it out, too.

I use my Audio Technica AD700s with an Astro MixAmp for console gaming, and they really changed how I played the game... Even though I was doing just fine with my TV speakers. The AD700s did pretty well with PC gaming, also... Even though I am not nearly as competitive when it comes to PC gaming, so I am fine with speakers. Now that I have the AKG K701s, I pretty much only use the AD700s as gaming headphones.

A caveat, I tried my Sennheiser HD555s with the MixAmp and Modern Warfare 2, and instantly took them off in favor of the AD700s. Maybe I'll try them again, but the HD555s where very sharp sounding (not in a good way). The treble was way to sharp and loud and almost gave me a headache after one minute.

I also use a clip on mic, witch for whatever reason doesn't pick up my voice when it is CLIPPED ON, so I just fashioned a simple boom out of pipe cleaners... You know, those arts and crafts fuzzy wire things.

As mentioned, the DT880s are also a common suggestion. I haven't tried them with gaming, but while listening to music they really sounded really "filled." If that makes sense. The DT880s are next on my list to get. :s

An Xbox pal of mine had the Tritton AX360s and told me they were pretty decent, but they broke (apparently pretty easily) so he got the Tritton AxPros, which he said were really nice and a good upgrade from his Ax360s and Turtle Beach X1s. I can't comment on them as I have not tried them personally... Now, the Turtle Beach X4s, I honestly do not care for, my roommate had them so I had some time to base an opinion. The bass was extremely overpowering, yeah you really get to hear those grenades exploding, but the rest of the spectrum would just get overpowered. The positioning of the X4s were also lacking, especially after I started using the MixAmp and AD700 combo. If you go to Best Buy, they should have a small demo station set up with the X41s and X11s (with their Dolby Headphone decoder)... When I gave them both a try, the X11 combo sounded much nicer to me than the X41s, and the combo is about $50 or so bellow. The nice thing with the X11 combo, is you can use other headsets with it (ala the Astro MixAmp).

Jan 24, 2011 at 2:23 PM Post #10 of 10
The M50's dont have a good soundstage for gaming, you're right. 

If you are considering the A700's you are on the right direction....they are really comfortable. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back