Gaming Headset - a few options i'm considering and need opinion of
Mar 1, 2012 at 6:57 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 11

fustrun

Head-Fier
Hey!

Basically what i want is a headset (no seperate mic's) that delivers great audio, now  i'm not a competitive gamer so i would like a headset that packs a punch with explosions and stuff like that but a combination of both is allways good.
I have read "Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide" but it mainly focuses on earphones rather then headsets with a mic attached, but i will be using it with "Dolby Headphone technology".
Now i have 4 main options -
Beyerdynamic MMX 300

Sennheiser HMD 280 Pro
Audio-Technica BPHS1
Sennheiser PC 360 G4ME

Thanks in advance for your help!

Mar 1, 2012 at 7:30 PM Post #2 of 11
Well are you against attaching a modmic to a decent headset? It will make things much cheaper than those headsets for sure.

The modmic is $33 and has great sound, just add any set of quality headphones and you have yourself a great setup.

Instead of having a $350 Beyerdynamic MMX for instance you could choose which beyers you wanted (the MMX is 770 I believe) and end up paying less than the MMX.

If having the mic integrated makes a huge difference maybe someone else can chime in on those headsets, but generally you pay more for the headset than you would for a modmic + similar quality headphones.

link to the modmic I talked about - http://www.amazon.com/AntLion-ModMic-Attachable-Boom-Microphone/dp/B005IT9P3G/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1330647939&sr=8-1

Mar 1, 2012 at 7:39 PM Post #3 of 11
I just really don't want to bother everytime with the cable, i'm a musician and a composer so my worst nightmare are wires . . and it's really uncomftrable since while gaming i will be putting down the headset and stuff . . just won't work for me, but i will buy a seperate earphone for "fun" stuff.

Mar 1, 2012 at 8:18 PM Post #4 of 11
Oh and btw i'm want to use it with ASUS stx card. anything else i need ? like a mixamp or something ? i'm using the PC.

Mar 1, 2012 at 9:06 PM Post #5 of 11

Quote:
I just really don't want to bother everytime with the cable, i'm a musician and a composer so my worst nightmare are wires . . and it's really uncomftrable since while gaming i will be putting down the headset and stuff . . just won't work for me, but i will buy a seperate earphone for "fun" stuff.

I'm with you on the wires, though I guess you could sleeve the two together.  Having a headset already setup is certainly convenient though.  On the flip side, if I was to spend $2-300 on a premium headset from Sennheiser or Beyer, I'd of hoped the mic would be detachable so it could serve other purposes.  There are cheaper headsets from less respected companies that have the conveniences of detachable mics that can fit on either ear-cup, and foldable designs so the headphones can rest on your shoulders during breaks.  You can get DT770's for half the price of the MMX 300.  The Audia-Tehnica ATH-AD700 are very well regarded for professional gaming if  you're not worried about whopping explosions, and is just over $100.  You're basically paying an extra $150 for the mic, kind of a hard sell.

If you do a quick search for "gaming headphones" you'll find dozens of threads in these forums, including Mad Lust Envy's comprehensive reviews, the thread is right on the first page: http://www.head-fi.org/t/534479/mad-lust-envys-headphone-gaming-guide-w-dolby-headphone-updated-2-19-2012-petition-added

Mar 2, 2012 at 12:52 PM Post #6 of 11
Ok guys i will repeate myself I WILL NOT BUY HEADPHONES WITH SPERATE MIC, i appreciate the help but that's the first thing that i have stated, I WILL buy another pair for "fun" use that will be for Singleplayer games and movies without a mic but for Co-op and competitive gaming i want a built in mic, period.
The second thing i stated is that i HAVE READ the guide, the PC360 gets a really nice score i was just wondering if anything changed since then that's all, and i was seeking additional opinions.
So basically my question is if theres anything better then the PC360 out there for gaming with a built in mic.
One final question is i have the "ASUS essense STX" is there anything else i need to add for ultimate sound expirience ? like a mic amp or anything of the likes? or the soundcard and the earphones is the only things needed?

Thanks in advance guys !

Mar 2, 2012 at 1:17 PM Post #7 of 11
Have you posted your requests in the PC Gaming guide? They might be able to help you a lot faster specially with your STX questions.

Mar 2, 2012 at 2:37 PM Post #8 of 11
You mean Lazy's guide? if not link me to the thread you mean please :)

Mar 2, 2012 at 3:00 PM Post #9 of 11
Heya,

I suggest you get an awesome headphone that will cover your fun/music listening as well as gaming, and simply get a mic that is awesome: ModMic

That way you have the best of both worlds, you don't have the "separate" feel of the mic, as it goes anywhere, just like a headset, without being limited to the few headsets that exist in any quality.

Now get any good headphone you want, your STX will power nearly anything fine, and attach the ModMic and you're good to go for all your uses from gaming to music, etc.

Headphone suggestions (since you didn't really give a budget):

Beyer DT770
Beyer DT990
Denon D2000
Sennheiser HD600
Sennheiser HD650
AKG Q701
Ultrasone HFI 2400

Very best,

Mar 2, 2012 at 3:47 PM Post #10 of 11
Mar 2, 2012 at 5:09 PM Post #11 of 11
Ok, thanks i will check it out !