Gaming Headphones in the Sub - $100 Range
Feb 7, 2014 at 3:17 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 8

halfinfinity

100+ Head-Fier
Hey, I'm looking for a pair of gaming headphones for about 100 bucks. I do play for extensive periods of time, so they must be qualified for that, but I guess all gaming headphones pretty much are. I've been eyeing these for a while now, but would like to hear from someone more experienced. They don't have to be wireless (I'm mainly using these for PC). I would also like to use them for music from time to time, but down turn down any good options just because they aren't great with music.

Just for the record, if this isn't the type of thing In which to create a thread for, please notify me, I'm new-ish. :D

Thanks in advance, 

Ru.

Feb 21, 2014 at 3:18 PM Post #3 of 8
All I can really say is to look for open-back headphones. If you're gaming in the comfort of your own home, sound leakage shouldn't be a problem.

If you come across Grado headphones like the SR80is, I don't recommend them. Without modding them, they're very uncomfortable for extended listening sessions.

Whatever you do, please don't buy gaming headsets. They almost always sound inferior to dedicated headphones and cost more just because they have a microphone slapped on. Decent wireless headphones, though, do tend to cost more than a wireless headset. But headsets aren't known for superb sound quality.

Feb 21, 2014 at 3:35 PM Post #4 of 8
  Hey, I'm looking for a pair of gaming headphones for about 100 bucks. I do play for extensive periods of time, so they must be qualified for that, but I guess all gaming headphones pretty much are. I've been eyeing these for a while now, but would like to hear from someone more experienced. They don't have to be wireless (I'm mainly using these for PC). I would also like to use them for music from time to time, but down turn down any good options just because they aren't great with music.
Just for the record, if this isn't the type of thing In which to create a thread for, please notify me, I'm new-ish. :D

Sennheiser HD558s, Amazon sells used ones for $94.
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B004FEEY9A/ref=olp_product_details?ie=UTF8&me=&seller=

Feb 22, 2014 at 9:18 PM Post #7 of 8
To be completely frank, you aren't going to find a good pair of headphone under 100 bucks.  The HD558s are pretty decent for gaming but to be honest they're overrated, IMO.  I really think bass response is overrated in gaming but on the other hand you can mod the HD558s so that they sound very similar to the HD598s so maybe that's a moot point.  If you do that mod it then transforms the 558s turn into good headphones.

Feb 22, 2014 at 9:29 PM Post #8 of 8
  Alright thanks, I think I'm going to go ahead with these. :D

On the inside of the cups on the HD558 there is some black rubber tape that blocks about 40% of the air holes.
Removing the tape should make the HD558s sound some what more like the HD598s.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back