Game console, CMoy.. advice?
Jan 21, 2005 at 6:13 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 4

Xplo

100+ Head-Fier
I have a friend who wants to hook up some headphones directly to the audio out on his PS2 and Gamecube. I reasoned that the signal probably isn't very strong, since the consoles don't have built-in amps or anything, and that the best thing to do would be to connect them through a headphone amp.

But, he doesn't want to spend a lot of money on this, and his headphones are certainly no audiophile gear, so I reasoned that a dirt cheap amp would suffice. AFAIK, this would be a CMoy. He'd want it wired with a DC jack, obviously.

So... does anyone have any experience actually doing this? Failing that, any reasons why this would be a good or bad idea? And lastly, is there anyone reputable out there building cheap CMoys? I realize it's a very simple amp, but neither of us is much good (or equipped, for that matter) with a soldering gun.

Jan 21, 2005 at 6:38 PM Post #2 of 4
You have the right idea there. I do something similar on occasion with my setup.

A CMoy certainly sounds like it'd be perfect for this particular situation, all you need to do is find someone willing to build you one cheap, possibly with RCA inputs instead of a mini jack (otherwise you'll need an adapter or two). I'm sure there's a number of people here who would be willing to help you out.

Jan 21, 2005 at 8:58 PM Post #3 of 4
Quote:

Originally Posted by Helter Skelter
RCA inputs instead of a mini jack (otherwise you'll need an adapter or two).

i dont think it would be a problem if it was a mini jack on the CMOY. RCA-Mini should work in this case. however i never tried this sort of connection, so i'm not sure if its gonna work or not.

Jan 21, 2005 at 9:35 PM Post #4 of 4
Oh, there are most certainly adapters to go from RCA male to mini female (and probably male as well), but it would probably just be more convenient to put RCA inputs on the amp itself.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back