FX700 v. Stax SR-001 Mk2
Oct 25, 2010 at 8:12 PM Post #4 of 17
Wow, thanks for the response on a long passed over thread.  Much appreciated.  So the Stax has that special something quality.  Reminds me of the MDs. You can point to this or that which might be less correct but somehow overall you just keep listening and enjoying yourself.  
L3000.gif

Oct 26, 2010 at 5:44 AM Post #5 of 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by lelek45 /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Stax are much more esoteric. Everything in their tonality is wrong, very colored, but for some reason I like them more then everything else.

No deep bass, or very recessed one. Bass impact is very gentle unlike FX700. Very warm and informative midrange. No comparison to FX700 here. Soft, a bit lacking quantity treble. They are kind of A-shaped with emphasis on the lower end.  

Funny how we hear things differently. I have the SR-003, never heard the SR-001 which are basically the same earphones with a portable amp, but i prefer their tonal balance over that of the Lambdas. It's much closer sounding to the O2. With the right tips (i use some Sony silicone tips) you get a slightly dark midrange and a good deep bass (no roll off until 50 hz).

Oct 26, 2010 at 9:51 AM Post #8 of 17
Quote:
I don't think we hear that different, most likely it different amps. You have SRM-252, right? I also have it, but I cannot connect to my SR-001 because of different plug, so I cannot check how it sounds with SR-001, but I'm sure it will give better bass performance due to bieng not buttery operated.

Yes i have the SRM-212. I don't know, some people reported they could hardly tell the difference with the portable version. But maybe it does make a difference in the bass if that's your main complaint. Different tips can also change the tonal balance and make it much less mid-centric. You should give it a try if you can. I do find the midrange pretty well balanced with the stock tips though.

Oct 26, 2010 at 7:26 PM Post #9 of 17

Quote:
Stax are much more esoteric. Everything in their tonality is wrong, very colored, but for some reason I like them more then everything else.

No deep bass, or very recessed one. Bass impact is very gentle unlike FX700. Very warm and informative midrange. No comparison to FX700 here. Soft, a bit lacking quantity treble. They are kind of A-shaped with emphasis on the lower end.  

I completely disagree. My impressions are more inline with mobbaddict's. The first time I listented to the sr 001's I was surprised by how much the sounded like my full sized stax. IMO they sound better than most dynamics that I've listened to. I find them very transparent with little coloration. They have very deep bass, but the bass is still very refined. I find the treble extremely clear and detailed.

Oct 31, 2010 at 3:12 PM Post #10 of 17
the baby stax sr001 mk2s are one of only a very few products that doesn't seem to polarize h-fers. there was a thread about them a few years ago and everyone seemed to like or love the way they sound (they're very clear, smooth, and engaging, with rolloff at the extremes). those that sold them usually did so because they didn't care for the fit/comfort level, and/or they found the way the amp burns through batteries impractical. the only other phone that i can think of offhand that is so universally well received is the jha-13.
i think it represents one of the great values in headphone systems (as it is a system with it's own dedicated amp), at a rather sweet spot for price&performance to diminishing returns ratio.

i can't find the thread i was looking for, but here are some others that may be of interest:
http://www.head-fi.org/forum/thread/163022/stax-sr-001-appreciation-thread
http://www.head-fi.org/forum/thread/409506/baby-stax-sr-001-mk2-appreciation-thread

Nov 9, 2010 at 9:31 PM Post #11 of 17
Well since my last post, I'm now the proud owner of one. They sound just as good as I remembered. I've never listened to an iem that was so refined. At their current going rate, they have to be the best value on the market.

Nov 9, 2010 at 9:48 PM Post #12 of 17

Quote:
Well since my last post, I'm now the proud owner of one. They sound just as good as I remembered. I've never listened to an iem that was so refined. At their current going rate, they have to be the best value on the market.

Who did you buy from?

Nov 10, 2010 at 1:49 AM Post #14 of 17
Quote:
Not so easy to compare. Tonally, FX700 more correct (read more flat) with better extension from the both edges. Actually they are a bit V-shaped. Midrange is sucked out (similar to D2000, but may be to lesser extent). Some people call it flat midrange, and it might be the case, but for me it sounds dry, lifeless. They are not bad (and still belongs to bests) but a bit boring, not exiting phones. I appreciate them, but don't love them. I greatly prefer DDMs over FX700, or even IE8. The main problem of Victors, is the lack of information in a midrange. I hear strong, deep bass and I hear extended, a bit agressive treble... and something insignificant in between... 

And the main point is that Stax are much faster, so they paint more information out of the signal. Everything sounds more clear.

I clearly prefer Stax (not taking in account practical issues), but FX700 are definetly more refined tonally. 

Are you wearing your DDMs and FX700 with a tight seal, or rather loosely? I think it makes a crucial difference with both phones.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back