Fun replacement for CX300 ?
May 26, 2008 at 6:53 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 8

pbirkett

Headphoneus Supremus
I've currently got the CX300 but the inevitable has finally happened and I lost one of the rubber tips. Now I know I can buy replacements but its the perfect excuse for a new toy
biggrin.gif

So, I'm using it with a Creative Zen Stone. I'd like something that is:-

1. Easy to use - I dont want anything that is akward to put in / take out.

2. A fun sound - I like punchy, fast and powerful bass, and I quite like a brightish sound.

3. Suitable for the gym - that probably means isolating since I want to drown out the crap music they play, and they need to stay in well and no keep falling out.

4. No more than $200 absolute tops. Less is highly preferable.

Any suggestions?

May 26, 2008 at 7:04 PM Post #2 of 8
For that price range you can get some nice in ears. Check out the Etymotic ER4 series. Also maybe take a look at the ULTIMATE EARS SUPER.FI 5 PRO which is also in your range. Just my opinion but I think its hard to find a "fast punchy powerful bass + bright sound". If you want bass and a warmer sound signature check out the iems from Westone. If comfort is a issue I definitely say look at westone. As always see if you can audition any before you buy otherwise your just going to get everyones opinion. GOOD LUCK!

May 26, 2008 at 7:16 PM Post #3 of 8
Thanks for the reply... congrats on post 500 btw
smily_headphones1.gif

Ety4's.... I've heard they are quite bass light? Also they are around £140+ here (nearly $300). I think my Zen Stone also leans towards a slightly bass light sound.

I thought about the SF5Pro but I heard there are comfort issues and that is also pushing the budget a touch, but if they were REALLY worth paying that bit extra for I guess I could stretch.

Impossible to audition anything unfortunately - round here, they sell one of three things WRT headphones - Upper end Sennheisers (i.e. HD6x0), lower end Grados (i.e. iGrado/SR60/80) or low-fi junk. Its REALLY hard to find anything else around here.

May 26, 2008 at 7:46 PM Post #5 of 8
Quote:

Originally Posted by r@mside /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Do you need something more isolating than the CX300?

If not, the Denon C700 fits your description quite close.

Not especially - the CX's did fine for isolation in the gym, so if they were no better than that it'd still be ok. Thanks for your suggestion.

May 26, 2008 at 8:20 PM Post #6 of 8
Q-Jays. From what I heard, they're CX300's gone right, eg, just as easy and comfrotable, but with a good sound. God, I'm thinking of wearing my DT880 to school till I get the Ue11's...

May 27, 2008 at 6:36 AM Post #7 of 8
Maylar X3i perhaps? They have a more fun sound compared to my modified iM716.
I'd say the X3i sounds like a less refined version of my ES7. Sounded bloated at first, but seems to be settling down now. I've only had it for 3 days though... more burn in is required.
x3i is a great match with my Creative player which is also light on bass.

x3i = great when I just want to do some casual listening while doing my work or walking around uni. ES7, Darths and iM716 are for my home use FWIW.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back