Full-size vs. Portable
Nov 30, 2009 at 2:46 AM Post #16 of 33
Quote:

Originally Posted by Daft_Luvr_94 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
ljokerl, you also mentioned some Equation RP-21s. What about the RP-22X?

Don't know much about them other than that they're full-size but folding and with a removable cable.

Nov 30, 2009 at 2:53 AM Post #18 of 33
The RP-21s are an option, but I'm focused on the ESW9s right now. I need details on them, though! Would they be good for electronic/rock? Do they require an amp? What should I expect to pay for them? (sry for all the questions)

Nov 30, 2009 at 2:57 AM Post #19 of 33
Quote:

Originally Posted by Halftrack /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Let it be known that I don't know my audio terminology.
I'll quietly leave now. D:

I'm not sure I follow.
confused_face_2.gif

Nov 30, 2009 at 2:59 AM Post #20 of 33
Take a look at the Grado SR-60i, which is outfitted with flat pads. It's a lightweight, knockaround headphone with great sound. It's also a taste of the Grado sound at $79. The original SR60 won all kinds of awards. It's a tremendous value.

Nov 30, 2009 at 3:05 AM Post #21 of 33
Quote:

IEMs aren't going to work for me. I'd rather have something around my ear than inside it (sounds like a lot of people feel this way). I also don't mind walking around with headphones on, as long as they're not too outlandish. 'Phones that I can wear around my neck when not in use would be great, though.

The Yuin buds are not iems, thus why I suggested them.

Nov 30, 2009 at 5:19 AM Post #22 of 33
actually I think most that dont like the idea of IEMs, either just dont like the idea of them, or they have never tried a truly comfy pair of them. for me having owned HD25 twice and enjoy them very much, think that apart from ED8 are IMO the 'best' portable headphone on the market due to rugged design, pretty good sound and removable cable.

That being said, I feel that a well designed IEM simply has no competition from the more portable headphones. the only reason I see for not getting them unless you WANT your headphones to be noticed, is if they isolate too much for your uses. all of my IEMs beat any headphone I have owned that was suitable for portable in all areas and one. Most are easily driven by portable devices (although many improve with an amp) you dont have to think much about where you are going to store them, they dont announce themselves and they sound bloody brilliant!! my SE530 and UM3X beat HD25 hands down and...well my JH13 beat any headphone of any size that I have ever heard.

and then of course you have the yuin if you really cant stand the idea of something in your ears. personally my IEMs totally disappear when wearing them, isolate well so I dont have to pump up the volume when on public transport to get a decent level and have detail retrieval that is hard to beat.

headphones though

HD-25 I-II or ED-8, i'm not a fan of the ATs, although they look prety cool, i'm not sure there is much substance to the sound. every time I try them; my eyes want to love them, but i'm left scratching my head why they are so popular

Nov 30, 2009 at 12:18 PM Post #23 of 33
Thanks for the advice, guys. mrarroyo, sorry about the error. Sounds like I don't know my audio terminology, either! lol Anyway, qusp, I actually do want my 'phones to be noticed. I'm looking for something mid-size (around-ear is almost a must) that's a good all-rounder for electronic/rock. I'm not so sure about the Grados--many people say they have a distinct sound that not everyone will like. My fear is that they won't have enough bass for my tastes.

Nov 30, 2009 at 12:50 PM Post #24 of 33
Quote:

Thanks for the advice, guys. mrarroyo, sorry about the error. Sounds like I don't know my audio terminology, either! lol Anyway, qusp, I actually do want my 'phones to be noticed. I'm looking for something mid-size (around-ear is almost a must) that's a good all-rounder for electronic/rock. I'm not so sure about the Grados--many people say they have a distinct sound that not everyone will like. My fear is that they won't have enough bass for my tastes.

You actually sound like you want Grados.
smily_headphones1.gif

Around the ear, maybe go for an HD580 or HD600. Those will run well enough from portable sources and still scale with an amp. I still think the HD-25i-II was a good suggestion for your usage. It would really help if you would fill out your profile with your gear that you plan to use.

Nov 30, 2009 at 9:38 PM Post #25 of 33
Thanks for the advice! If I go the Sennheiser route, would HD 595s be a bad choice? I would mainly use them with my iPod/PC. If I were to buy an amp, it would have to be <$50, and FWIR, you don't get good quality at that price. My budget for headphones is about $150 (give or take) so I don't think the HD 600s would be an option for me. The HD 595s are pretty expensive, too. Anyone know a reputable website where I can get headphones *new* at a low price?

Right now, I'm considering 3 Grado models:

-SR60/SR60i
-SR80/SR80i
-SR225i

Some of the Grados have what look like around-ear pads. Can you swap these out for any of their headphones?

Nov 30, 2009 at 9:44 PM Post #26 of 33
Quote:

Thanks for the advice! If I go the Sennheiser route, would HD 595s be a bad choice? I would mainly use them with my iPod/PC. If I were to buy an amp, it would have to be <$50, and FWIR, you don't get good quality at that price. My budget for headphones is about $150 (give or take) so I don't think the HD 600s would be an option for me. The HD 595s are pretty expensive, too. Anyone know a reputable website where I can get headphones *new* at a low price?

Right now, I'm considering 3 Grado models:

-SR60/SR60i
-SR80/SR80i
-SR225i

Some of the Grados have what look like around-ear pads. Can you swap these out for any of their headphones?

Keep in mind that both grados and the Sennheiser 5x5 line are completely open headphones which means they don't isolate and leak plenty of sound out.

The grado pads you're talking about are bowl pads. They're ~$20 and can be put on any grado (but sound better on some than others). I think they come stock on all grados SR80 and up. They're around-ear for some people, on-ear for others. They aren't too big.

Dec 1, 2009 at 2:24 AM Post #27 of 33
Given that the Grados and Senns are open, could I still wear them in public? Also, AT is one of my favorite makers in terms of style...can anyone recommend a pair?

Dec 1, 2009 at 2:35 AM Post #28 of 33
Quote:

Given that the Grados and Senns are open, could I still wear them in public? Also, AT is one of my favorite makers in terms of style...can anyone recommend a pair?

Yes, but you'll have to crank up the volume and there may be substantial leakage (unless you're in a library or somewhere unnaturally quiet). In other words, not a good idea. Can't recommend AT 'phones though, never heard them.

Dec 1, 2009 at 3:01 AM Post #30 of 33
Seems like no one owns any AT 'phones! I'm looking at Ultrasones right now. Any you guys would recommend?

EDIT: Goldring looks promising, too. Has anyone tried the DR150s? Isn't ljokerl selling some?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back