Full-size headphones like RE-0s?
Jun 21, 2010 at 6:00 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 8

goober-george

1000+ Head-Fier
I really like the RE-0s they are some of my favorite headphones period. But, I'd like a full-size headphone version of them. I've listened to a few, and nothing really captures the tone and smoothness like the RE-0s do (check my profile for the headphones I've listened to). I've heard headphones more detailed, or have bigger sound stage, more accurate instrument placement, but haven't heard one that does the tone and neutralness of the RE-0s. Thanks. 

And.. just fyi, I feel the yamaha YH orthodynamic series may be the closest to what I hear from the RE-0s, but they seem a little warmer.

Jun 21, 2010 at 6:07 PM Post #2 of 8
Are you looking for a pair of analytical headphones? Maybe for studio use? Try the Shure Srh840, or maybe a pair of Akg's. 

Jun 21, 2010 at 6:11 PM Post #3 of 8
Shure SRH840 sounds fairly similar to RE0 in signature IMO, but with more bass and not quite as good overall. From what I've read, Beyerdynamic DT880 (250) out of a tube amp sounds fairly close.

Jun 21, 2010 at 6:24 PM Post #4 of 8
I've listened to DT-880s but not with a tube amp, and they were clinically sterile. Way, way, too analytical, for me. I felt like I was forced to listen to the music, and observe every single detail. It was like looking through a microscope for music. They just weren't enjoyable to listen to, however I did not have a tube amp, I had the Millet Hybrid though.

The thing I like about the RE-0s are, they find a pretty much perfect balance between fun and neutrality. Nothing really sticks out in the music, it's just delivered, in a nice clean package. Also, I'd prefer them to be open, but it's not a necessity. AKG K-501s also kind of come close to me, but they seemed to distant, so I didn't feel connected to the music. Once, again maybe a better/different amp would have fixed that issue. 

Jun 21, 2010 at 6:28 PM Post #5 of 8
Yeah, but with a tube amp the DT880 is supposedly more fun sounding.

Jun 21, 2010 at 6:50 PM Post #6 of 8
I heard that the AKG K601 sounds like the RE0

Jun 21, 2010 at 6:55 PM Post #7 of 8
Do you have a preference towards close or open for you listening environment? Will you be running them off an amp?

Reguardless, my k601 seem like what i hear the RE0s described as.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back