++ FULL-SIZE HEADPHONE RECOMMENDATIONS THREAD++ CLOSED: Please post a thread in the Introductions, Help and Advice forum
Feb 13, 2013 at 9:43 AM Post #24,631 of 29,490
Please help me Head-fi community. My cousin just purchased a pair of Beats By Dre Executives ($300 USD)

I'm trying to convince/persuade/evangelize/save him from this purchase (He's never bought full-sized headphones before, so he dove right in to these) His previous purchase were 2 pairs of Sol Republic Earbuds.

This one is in deep.. I know.

I want to recommend him some phones in that price range that will open his mind.

He prefers music where the vocals + instruments are really clean and clear.. Needs to have some bass (hip hop maybe half the time)

Doesn't have a preference for open or closed (but the exec's are closed)

Please help me save this one.

Feb 13, 2013 at 9:52 AM Post #24,632 of 29,490
Quote:
Gee thanks.  Two weeks of research for my first decent headphones that got glowing remarks are described as flat?  Did I just waist two weeks of my life?  I hope they are better than flat.  In $250 range for someone who wanted to avoid trending the Beats, what would you reccommend?

Try the Sennheiser HD598s.
I just got a pair a few weeks ago, and they are absolutely perfect.
They're usually $250, but you can get them on Amazon for $205 w/ free shipping for a few more days.

Feb 13, 2013 at 9:55 AM Post #24,633 of 29,490
Quote:

Thanks for the input. I've been glancing over the marketplace here to see if anything pops up, so I'll keep my eye out for that too. How's the soundstage on the shures though? One thing I really liked (amount many others) coming from my m50s to the 990s was how airy and open things sounded.

Well since it's a closed headphone the soundstage isn't as good compared to another open headphone of the same price. It is pretty good however for a closed headphone.

Feb 13, 2013 at 9:58 AM Post #24,634 of 29,490
Quote:
Please help me Head-fi community. My cousin just purchased a pair of Beats By Dre Executives ($300 USD)

I'm trying to convince/persuade/evangelize/save him from this purchase (He's never bought full-sized headphones before, so he dove right in to these) His previous purchase were 2 pairs of Sol Republic Earbuds.

This one is in deep.. I know.

I want to recommend him some phones in that price range that will open his mind.

He prefers music where the vocals + instruments are really clean and clear.. Needs to have some bass (hip hop maybe half the time)

Doesn't have a preference for open or closed (but the exec's are closed)

Please help me save this one.

V moda m100. They are stylish but still have a good sound and great for the genre's of music you listed. Good luck convincing him on changing his mind though, beats fanboys are very persistant. It's nearly impossible to convince them that beats are extremely over priced..

Feb 13, 2013 at 10:13 AM Post #24,635 of 29,490
Quote:
V moda m100. They are stylish but still have a good sound and great for the genre's of music you listed. Good luck convincing him on changing his mind though, beats fanboys are very persistant. It's nearly impossible to convince them that beats are extremely over priced..

What about.. an alternate to Bassheavy cans at the $300 price range?

Where Vocals/Soundstage is important?

Feb 13, 2013 at 11:42 AM Post #24,636 of 29,490
One of my friends is looking to buy a low-end, bang for buck headphone. He's not into the hobby at all and just wants something with really good value, under $100.

Requirements:

1. Somewhere between fun and neutral sound signature
  2. Good isolation
  3. Must perform well unamped
  4. In the $75 - $125 US cost area
  5. Forgiving of low bitrate / poor DAC

I'm thinking Sony MDR-V6 / 7506 on this one, but I'd like second opinions.

Feb 13, 2013 at 12:02 PM Post #24,637 of 29,490
Hi, I am new here and am looking to upgrade my headphones and I am looking for some friendly advice.  I currently have the AKG K450's and am thinking about replacing them.  I listen to all of my music either on my iPhone 4S and occasionally my Macbook.  I understand some of the more expensive headphones are not suitable for portable devices and you won't receive their full potential.  I want to stick with the AKG brand as I am very impressed with them and am just looking for some bigger headphones, with better sound quality.  I have done considerable amounts of research but am still no clearer on which headphones to splash out on. These are the three that I am undecided between:
AKG K167 Tiesto
AKG K550
AKG K142 HD

I am new to headphones as I mentioned, so please don't baffle me with complicated stuff!  I would like to know which one will provide me with the best sound for the price.  The Tiesto's look like the most likely purchase at the moment because I really like the way they look.  However if the sound is considerably better from one of the other two, or the others are  better for listening from a portable device then this information would be incredibly helpful to me.

Thanks for reading, any opinions would be much appreciated.

Feb 13, 2013 at 12:39 PM Post #24,638 of 29,490
Basically, one of the cup holding plastic bits on my JVC HA-RX700's is breaking on me, and i need a new set.

Budget: <€100
Sites:
http://www.thomann.de/fi/index.html
http://www.verkkokauppa.com/fi/catalog/802b/Hifi-ja-audio-Kuulokkeet
http://www.jimms.fi/listaa/228

They might be in Finnish, so use a translate function :/

20% Gaming(I rarely have sounds on in games), 50% Music, 30% Movies.

Music i listen to: Metal, rap, dub/drumstep.

For example: In Flames, Two steps from hell, Klaypex, Random dubstep songs, Trivium, Avain, Tupac etc.

Source: Youtube HD/HQ/flac/320kbps -> Mobo TOSLINK -> Pioneer VSX 915-S -> Front 6.3mm headphone out.

I saw some used AKG K272HD's for €70 + mail, which look pretty much brand new from the pictures the seller uploaded. Not sure how suitable they are for my uses, however.. Have to read some more reviews.

Help? :/

P.S: I'd like them to be closed-back, in order to block noise and reduce sound leakage :D

Feb 13, 2013 at 1:00 PM Post #24,639 of 29,490
Quote:

I just picked up the AKG 550s, and I'm a fan, but he needs to have a largish head to get the seal - they don't sound good without a good seal around the ear. Very clear vocals though, would need an amp if he's a basshead - bass is highly dependent on seal and even then, isn't that heavy, but I prefer that.

Feb 13, 2013 at 1:03 PM Post #24,640 of 29,490
Quote:
I have the Audio Technica ATH A700.  I like the sound of them a lot but I have the itch to upgrade.  If I had a wish with the A700 it is that maybe they have a little more bass and that they wouldn't make my ears sweat in the summertime.  Other than the heat they are comfortable, I have a freakishly large head.  I was looking at the ATH-A900X, the Ultrasone 900, DT880 or a used Sony Z1000.  I will be using a Soundblaster ZXR with them.  I'd like to not spend more than 300.00 but can stretch to 400.00 if that is the right thing to do.
On my current list the DT880 are open, I have never heard an open headphone.  I was leaning towards closed back because since I was a kid I've always liked the feeling headphones gave you of being transported away from your current settings and putting you in a room with your favorite band.  I don't know if open back changes that feeling because of being able to hear the garbage man drive by my house on Tues. and Thurs.  Having the closed back A700s makes me somewhat comfortable with trying open.
I will use these to listen to classic rock and to game.

See my recommendation above. If you're looking for open backed, then I'd suggest the Sennheiser 598. Closed I'm liking the AKG 550 now, though it's my first closed in this price range. Very dependent on seal, but with your freakishly large head they should fit pretty well (I've got a big head too).

Feb 13, 2013 at 2:13 PM Post #24,641 of 29,490
Quote:
Basically, one of the cup holding plastic bits on my JVC HA-RX700's is breaking on me, and i need a new set.

Budget: <€100
Sites:
http://www.thomann.de/fi/index.html
http://www.verkkokauppa.com/fi/catalog/802b/Hifi-ja-audio-Kuulokkeet
http://www.jimms.fi/listaa/228

They might be in Finnish, so use a translate function :/

20% Gaming(I rarely have sounds on in games), 50% Music, 30% Movies.

Music i listen to: Metal, rap, dub/drumstep.

For example: In Flames, Two steps from hell, Klaypex, Random dubstep songs, Trivium, Avain, Tupac etc.

Source: Youtube HD/HQ/flac/320kbps -> Mobo TOSLINK -> Pioneer VSX 915-S -> Front 6.3mm headphone out.

I saw some used AKG K272HD's for €70 + mail, which look pretty much brand new from the pictures the seller uploaded. Not sure how suitable they are for my uses, however.. Have to read some more reviews.

Help? :/

P.S: I'd like them to be closed-back, in order to block noise and reduce sound leakage :D

The K272HD's are very good headphones especially at that price but it is basslight, rolls off in either directions, and sounds a bit lethargic. Its strengths are detailed mids and treble, flat response, and great instrument separation, so they are great for monitoring use. Not the best for dubstep/rap/metal though. Also, they actually don't block out noise very well considering their closed design (although they minimize leakage). I think it has to do with their velour pads which don't really clamp but rather sit loosely around the ears.

I suggest you look at something else.

Feb 13, 2013 at 2:38 PM Post #24,642 of 29,490
Quote:

My bad I misread what your counsins favorite sound. He may like the bower and wilkins P5 or shure shr940, assuming he will want them to be portable. Otherwise check and see if he could get an used hd600 or 650. That would be ideal.

Feb 13, 2013 at 2:57 PM Post #24,643 of 29,490
Hi all,

My brother is after some headphones to use with his ipod and I have not kept up to date with the headphone market over the last few years so was hoping for some advice.

The budget would be a maximum of £300 and top priority would be:

1) Capable of being driven by ipod without sacrificing much sound quality
2) Soundstage
3) Isolation

I was hoping if someone could advise me on a few key issues:

a) I am not very knowledgeable as to to how easy this price range of headphones is to drive with a portable source like the ipod. Is it merely a case of how loud you can drive the headphones or do you also lose sound quality if you don't use an amp?

b) He doesn't intend to buy even a portable amp as it detracts from the ease of use and lightweight nature of the ipod - so is it even worth buying headphones at this price range - or does not using an amp essentially make £100 headphones indistinguishable from £300 ones?

If you guys could just suggest a few models - I will of course do the rest of the research myself - just needed some direction to look in.

Many thanks!

PS sound signature wise - he'd probably like something quite neutral with maybe a bit of added weight to the bass - in terms of impact but not boom - 

Feb 13, 2013 at 3:13 PM Post #24,644 of 29,490
Quote:

The K272HD's are very good headphones especially at that price but it is basslight, rolls off in either directions, and sounds a bit lethargic. Its strengths are detailed mids and treble, flat response, and great instrument separation, so they are great for monitoring use. Not the best for dubstep/rap/metal though. Also, they actually don't block out noise very well considering their closed design (although they minimize leakage). I think it has to do with their velour pads which don't really clamp but rather sit loosely around the ears.

I suggest you look at something else.

Ah.. maybe i should just say goodbye to 75% of my bank account and spring for DT-770 Pros... Any opinions, other suggestions?

Feb 13, 2013 at 3:43 PM Post #24,645 of 29,490
New here... looking for some advice from the experts.

I'd like to try some open headphones just to have something different.  I currently have some closed headphones (Sennheiser) and various IEM's.  I really love the comfort of the Sennheiser headphones, but I want to try something open for the different sound quality.

The most important qualifiers for me are:
- Price (under $100 USD)
- Comfort (I have big ears and most headphones hurt my ears after a few minutes)
- Open back

I listen to a very broad range of music from classical to metal and EDM. I'd like some headphones that can do a variety of music in terms of decent bass, warm sounding mids, and clear highs.  I know for under $100 all this might not be possible, but I'd like to hear some suggestions of some headphones that come close to meeting those request.  Just to reiterate, I'm only looking for a set of open headphones right now, I'm pretty happy with the closed headphones I have. 

Thanks in advance.
Mike

Users who are viewing this thread

Back