++ FULL-SIZE HEADPHONE RECOMMENDATIONS THREAD++ CLOSED: Please post a thread in the Introductions, Help and Advice forum
May 12, 2012 at 4:10 AM Post #14,671 of 29,490
Looking for somewhat portable medium headphones for under 300 USD

has to be bigger than Vmoda V/M80, these were too small

considering:

Sennheiser HD25
Philips Cityscape Downtown / Uptown
Philips Fidelio L1
Philips Fidelio M1
Skullcandy Hesh 2.0
Skullcandy Aviator
Audio Technica ES10

or others

May 12, 2012 at 11:02 AM Post #14,673 of 29,490
Quote:
My current headphones are breaking, and It's time to get some new ones.

My spending limit is around $300, and I'm looking for closed, circumaural cans with good isolation. I listen to a lot of trance, happy hardcore, dance, dubstep, Rap and pop. That covers a few diverse genres but basically most of my music is heavy on electronic music with good bass. I don't know if it makes a difference, but I don't care if sound leaks into the headphones, I'm more worried about sound leaking out when the volume is cranked

I also have an amp built into my sound card so I'm not worried about weather a pair of headphones need an amp or not.

Looking forward to some suggestions!

Thanks,

Brad

The ATH Pro700MKII isn't a bad option either.

May 12, 2012 at 11:04 AM Post #14,674 of 29,490
Quote:
Whats a good headphone in the 100-200dollar range . I listen to hip hop this is my first audiophile quality headphone .I have no amp or dac.Does a dac improve sound by alot? Would the ultrasone 580 or vmoda m80 be good.

depends on how much bass you want and if you prefer on ear or over ear.

May 12, 2012 at 12:18 PM Post #14,676 of 29,490
Quote:
The Denons, especially the 7000, are good choices.  They are do fine in all frequencies; have solid bass; good clarity and their sound stage opens up when properly amped (especially the D7000).

Haven't heard the HifiMan.

I didn't like D7000 for movies. Yeah sure it has nice subbass but that should not be the only factor... the bass just bleeded too much into dialog etc making it unnatural and bloated. And the highs are occasionally too sharp.

Hifiman HE-500 was best so far for me.

May 12, 2012 at 12:58 PM Post #14,678 of 29,490
Hi there,

I am hoping someone can help me here! I am looking to buy some headphones. I'd like them to be full size, closed backs. I am going to use them for working with, I need them to be able to block out a little noise such as computer sounds (fans) or maybe a whispering conversation 10m away etc. Or as close to that as possible, bascialy to remove distractions! Now as for my music tastes, I don't want pounding base, nor do I want muddy/sloppy base if you get me. I have a huge iTunes library (9,000+ songs) in apple lossless format so when I listen through my laptop, I will be using onboard sound with 700-1200kbps (depends on song). I will also be listening to my classic (probably 256kbps). So the headphones will be used unamped. I listen to a huge variety of music from classical to rock and roll to Indie to pop. Most of the time though it will be in the region of Rock and Roll e.g. Status Quo, Led Zep, ACDC to pop like Simon and Garfunkel, Noah and the Whale and some alternative in the middle like RHCP. They don't need to be portable but they need to be relatively durable as they will get a couple of knocks in my bag but I will try to take care of them, I'll leave them with my lappy so they should be fine. They will need to be comfortable as I listening for long periods of time (I know closed backs are susceptible to heat build up but this isn't too much of a problem for me). So, now for the problem...budget! Budget is £60 (I am in the UK) I am afraid I can't push any further than that! I have done some research and the first headphones I came across were the ath-m50s but I had to dismiss them due to cost. So I kept looking and have found their little brother the m30. I can get them in my local shop for £50 which is a competitive price in the UK and I'd always rather buy in a shop than the web, I can also listen to them before I buy. However, are there any other headphones I should consider in this price category? I do like Audio Technica and I think they are good value for money but I am open to other recommendations that would fit the bill. I hope I have put enough info here!

I hope you can help.

Music Guy

May 12, 2012 at 1:04 PM Post #14,679 of 29,490
Quote:
Hi there,

I am hoping someone can help me here! I am looking to buy some headphones. I'd like them to be full size, closed backs. I am going to use them for working with, I need them to be able to block out a little noise such as computer sounds (fans) or maybe a whispering conversation 10m away etc. Or as close to that as possible, bascialy to remove distractions! Now as for my music tastes, I don't want pounding base, nor do I want muddy/sloppy base if you get me. I have a huge iTunes library (9,000+ songs) in apple lossless format so when I listen through my laptop, I will be using onboard sound with 700-1200kbps (depends on song). I will also be listening to my classic (probably 256kbps). So the headphones will be used unamped. I listen to a huge variety of music from classical to rock and roll to Indie to pop. Most of the time though it will be in the region of Rock and Roll e.g. Status Quo, Led Zep, ACDC to pop like Simon and Garfunkel, Noah and the Whale and some alternative in the middle like RHCP. They don't need to be portable but they need to be relatively durable as they will get a couple of knocks in my bag but I will try to take care of them, I'll leave them with my lappy so they should be fine. They will need to be comfortable as I listening for long periods of time (I know closed backs are susceptible to heat build up but this isn't too much of a problem for me). So, now for the problem...budget! Budget is £60 (I am in the UK) I am afraid I can't push any further than that! I have done some research and the first headphones I came across were the ath-m50s but I had to dismiss them due to cost. So I kept looking and have found their little brother the m30. I can get them in my local shop for £50 which is a competitive price in the UK and I'd always rather buy in a shop than the web, I can also listen to them before I buy. However, are there any other headphones I should consider in this price category? I do like Audio Technica and I think they are good value for money but I am open to other recommendations that would fit the bill. I hope I have put enough info here!

I hope you can help.

Music Guy

Get yourself a grado sr60i or sr80i they do leak alot of sound though.

May 12, 2012 at 2:26 PM Post #14,681 of 29,490
Hey Head-Fi,

I am currently on the market for a pair of headphones that will last me for a while without upgrades. I listen to everything, so I would like a headphone that sounds equally great with all genres. My budget is around $400, but I am prepared to go slightly over my budget. I would prefer over-ear headphones, but on-ear is fine. Open or not doesn't matter either.

My shortlist:

Sennheiser HD 600
AKG K701
Beyerdynamic DT880

May 12, 2012 at 2:29 PM Post #14,682 of 29,490
Hey guys, hopefully somebody here can help me pick my first mid-range headphones. My Sennheiser HD212s have served me well over the years, but now it's time for a long overdue upgrade!

I've set aside a budget of $400 for the phones and $150 for a DAC to go with it. I'm after a pair with a good sound stage, satisfying bass but not too overpowering. Mids and Highs that are detailed, but not uncomfortably bright.
I'll mainly be listening to Metal, (Prog) Rock, Classical, Jazz, IDM/Ambient. I will also be using them for gaming, movies and live concerts (hence the need for good sound staging.)
They should also be comfortable for extended use and not fatiguing. Closed ear phones with good isolation would be nice, but not a priority.
My source is a PC with FLAC files, via a DAC that I'll also be purchasing. (perhaps ASUS Xonar SXT?).

Headphones considered so far are Sennheiser HD650, Hifiman HE400, Denon AHD2000 and AKG K701.

May 12, 2012 at 2:31 PM Post #14,683 of 29,490
Quote:
Hey Head-Fi,

I am currently on the market for a pair of headphones that will last me for a while without upgrades. I listen to everything, so I would like a headphone that sounds equally great with all genres. My budget is around $400, but I am prepared to go slightly over my budget. I would prefer over-ear headphones, but on-ear is fine. Open or not doesn't matter either.

My shortlist:

Sennheiser HD 600
AKG K701
Beyerdynamic DT880

Those are three good cans.  I would recommend the the newer, better sounding for music enjoyment and more feature laden Q701 over the K 701.

May 12, 2012 at 3:06 PM Post #14,685 of 29,490
Local store has denon ahd700 for 450 pounds (~680US) is it a good price?? Also I have the Fiio E11 will it drive the 7000 decently enough? I am also planning to get the nuforce icon hdp soon (ASAP if I get the 7000) but is it necessary if I am stuck with the m50s? The 7000?

Thanks!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back