++ FULL-SIZE HEADPHONE RECOMMENDATIONS THREAD++ CLOSED: Please post a thread in the Introductions, Help and Advice forum
Apr 26, 2012 at 10:20 AM Post #14,326 of 29,490

Quote:
Hi.
I'm buying new headphones for under 110€. So the folowing are in my opinion the best for the price in my country(i live in Slovenia):
AKG K 242 HD-105€
Shure SHR440-100€
KRK KNS6400-100€
Audio Technica M40fs-85€
Ultrasone HFI 450-95€

Any other sugestions are welcome, as long as the product is in EU(like ebay.de).
Thank you for your help.

I know this is a fast-phased thread and you guys do it because of your free will, but please, i'd like some help from the pros on this.

Apr 26, 2012 at 10:32 AM Post #14,328 of 29,490
The guys at head-fi are amazing with their wealth of knowledge of headphones but as for myself, I am looking for an impossible find.  A headphone that is the epitome of a bass monster but yet still has stellar highs and mids.  My price range is about 200 but willing to go over if there is compelling evidence to do so.

Thus far I have contemplated the ATH-M50, Beyerdynamic DT-770(and its evil alter-ego Darth Beyer), M-Audio Studiophile Q40, and the Denon AH-D1100.

Apr 26, 2012 at 10:34 AM Post #14,329 of 29,490
a

Quote:
I'm just looking for something interesting to get...
I have around... 250$?
I currently own the beyer t5p with a fiio e17 amp.
Not sure what I should go for or save it up and buy a nice home pair. Right now I'm using my t5p for everything including portable use. I tried the k701 at a show and didn't like them that much. I was thinking maybe the pro700mk2 so I can indulge in bassy songs every once in a while.

Hard to believe that you're not satisfied with the T5p. Though I've yet to try those personally, they've been getting stellar feedback from more or less every credible reviewer on the Net. Anyway, yeah, if you don't mind sacrificing a bit of midrange, then the A-Ts are brilliant for bass-oriented songs. In point of fact, they're so dang dark that even prog rock end up sounding a bit hip-hop. Then again, that could just be me shying away from bass again. 

Also, you can quite literally feel vibrations from the PRO700 MKIIs when listening to music, even at relatively safe volume levels. My only complaint (not related to SQ) is that they're a bit uncomfortable to wear for extended periods. Sound isolation is good, but I forget exactly how it does with imaging and sound stage. Bit wide, from what I remember, but my memory of it's sketchy at best.

P.S.
How well does the T5p pair with the Fiio? 

It's not that I'm really dissatisfied with them. I actually love them a lot. It's just sometimes I want a different sound, like something bass heavy, or maybe a pair of grados.
I haven't gotten to use the e17 yet =( it's a birthday present from my parents but it's not my birthday yet xD
I'll be able to tell you in a few weeks.

Apr 26, 2012 at 10:40 AM Post #14,330 of 29,490
Hi all, I'm new here.

I'm looking for a headphone for to use with my iPod Classic at home.

I listen to mostly pop, urban, and rock music with some other genres mixed in.

I'm looking for a headphone with average to above average isolation that have the best sound.

These are the models I'm looking at:

Sennheiser HD 380 Pro http://www.sennheiser.ca/live/senn/produit/en/1241/13

Sennheiser HD 215 http://www.sennheiser.ca/live/senn/produit/en/274/13

Extreme 29 http://www.extremeheadphones.com/products/ex-29-headphones

Shure SRH940 http://www.shure.com/americas/products/earphones-headphones/headphones/srh940-professional-reference-headphones

Budget is around $300. 

I don't own an amp, but if you think I need one, I'm open to ideas.

Apr 26, 2012 at 11:05 AM Post #14,331 of 29,490

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrJerKill /img/forum/go_quote.gif

I know this is a fast-phased thread and you guys do it because of your free will, but please, i'd like some help from the pros on this.

I don't own any of those headphones but here is few helpful things I found for you..

- As far as I know K242 is the same headphone as "K240 Studio" sound wise, or at least pretty close to it. They have different look and I think K242 doesn't have detachable cable like the K240 does, but K242 comes with velour pads, whereas for K240 you have to order them separately if you want them. They are both semi-open. Meaning that they will leak some sound, not as much as completely open, but more than your typically closed type of headphones would. Might need an amp to sound at their best. K240 Studio is usually cheaper than K242. K240 Studio has been around longer so there are more reviews about it. And like I said it's basically the same headphone so you can read those reviews to get an idea what K242 will sound like. They are typically described having warm sound.

- Shure SRH440: Great isolation, folds for portability, and detachable cable. Clean sound, somewhat neutral. Doesn't need amp.

http://www.head-fi.org/t/458545/shure-srh440-impression

- KRK KNS6400 Accurate, detailed and comfortable. Accurate bass, good mids and smooth treble. Great soundstage for a closed headphone. Detachable cables. No amp needed.

http://www.head-fi.org/t/560605/krk-kns-6400-review-impressive-99-giant-killer

Apr 26, 2012 at 2:40 PM Post #14,332 of 29,490
hi everyone, i am new here looking for help. a little more than a year ago i fell for the beats by dr.dre hype despite all the negative review(dumb choice) and got the solo HD on ear headphones(i just couldn't ignore the eye catching design :p), my first impressions out of the box that they were a bit muddy/muffled(like if there was a filter inside the driver) and bassy but i got used to it and it was fairly great for the first twelve months of owning it. recently a rattling/cracking started to come from the left ear cup which became worse each day to the point where it was no longer tolerable, it sounded like if there was something vibrating inside and after finding out that the ear cushion can be removed i found out that the diaphragm had a lot of dents which indicate that it was damaged, now let me tell you that the heaphones never left my house and it was used with a fouth gen ipod and an iphone 3GS both with flat/off EQ's, it was never connected to a powerful AMP or anything with a powerful output, i just felt disappointed that a 220$ headphones will stop working in such a small amount of time, after days of crying :p i went back to the horrible standard apple ear buds.

now for the thing i need help for: a few days ago i went to the local sony shop shopping for a new tv and i came across the MDR-XB500 which looked interesting to me, i did a bit of research and i found a lot of positive stuff about it and it was much much cheaper than the beats i had which spoiled my ears with huge amount of bass(which i love BTW), now does anyone here have any experience with these sony headphones? are they any good? i swear to myself that i won't get any headphone for more than 100$ so please help?

thanks in advance.

EDIT: i love bass but not to the point where it spoils everything else(like what the beats did to the overall muddy sound), to be more specific how does it compare to the beats solo HD?

Apr 26, 2012 at 2:51 PM Post #14,333 of 29,490
Well I'm looking for some help, I am interested in the Sennheiser HD 439 as I've heard good things about this company but I reside in Canada. Everywhere I've seen that either sells these or ships to Canada has an additional $50 slapped on it for no apparent reason. I would understand $10-20 for import expenses but $50 just seems like I am being ripped off.

http://www.amazon.com/Sennheiser-HD-439-Headphones-Black/dp/B005SNPV94/ref=sr_1_1?s=electronics

http://www.amazon.ca/Sennheiser-HD-439-Headphones-Black/dp/B005SNPV94/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1335464797&sr=8-1

I was wondering if anyone could recommend any other headphones which can be purchased in Canada or another retailer with cheaper prices. Thanks. 

Apr 26, 2012 at 5:01 PM Post #14,335 of 29,490
Hey, I'm looking for a pair of closed over the ear headphones that are $150 or less.

I mainly listen to: jazz (funk/soul), metal (Metallica and Dragonland), folk (Mumford and sons), rock (chili peppers, rise against and muse), and Techno (Pendulum).
i would also be using these headphones for gaming.
a removable cable would be a plus
portability is not essential.

Apr 26, 2012 at 5:23 PM Post #14,336 of 29,490
Hello guys quite new here so bear with me :p

Im about to buy me some new headphones or at least looking around and im getting fuzzy.
First off the price point im willing to accept is about 350-500$ And what am i gonna use it for, well this is the strange part u might ask.
i Cant say im the type that will sit down and listen to my music for hours but when i do i wanna enjoy. Im kind of looking for the best allround choice available. Mostly i listen to electronic music like infected mushroom,armin van buuren ect ect, but i love for instance acustic guitar ect even classic music. And then last but not least gaming.... If i say this, i own a pioneer sc-lx85 with a THX speaker system with acoustic damped living room and laser pointed setup on the speakers ect. This might give u a idea of how picky i am when comes to movies :p maybe im asking for the impossible but is there any headphone that offers at least a little bit of the wow factor when comes to games and a pleasent ride when listen to music. All help is welcome ! Today i own a pair of sennheiser hd 598 but its not enough. peace !

Apr 26, 2012 at 5:54 PM Post #14,337 of 29,490

Quote:
hi guys
first i have to say that i am sorry for my english.
with a little research i found some headphones but i cant decide.and the lack of knowledge about headphones i dont know which can be used for outdoor usage and which be used for mixing or etc.
i am gonna use it only outdoor not professionally and i am gonna use it with my iphone. which do you suggest. and forexample prodipe has a different cable. how do you say it spiral cable. is it ok to use it outdoor or it s just for like ee mixing or studio?
please forgive my ignorance. and my favorite musics are rock and classical music. please make your advise in that way. which one do you suggest?

koss pro dj 100        

ultrasone hıfı 450       

sennheiser hd428       

prodipe pro 800        

AKG K 430             

SENNHEISER PX 200 II

I own the sennheiser hd428, and I like it a lot. Especially for classical music.

Apr 26, 2012 at 6:21 PM Post #14,339 of 29,490

Quote:
Hey, I'm looking for a pair of closed over the ear headphones that are $150 or less.

I mainly listen to: jazz (funk/soul), metal (Metallica and Dragonland), folk (Mumford and sons), rock (chili peppers, rise against and muse), and Techno (Pendulum).
i would also be using these headphones for gaming.
a removable cable would be a plus
portability is not essential.

Shure SRH 840.  I find them to be better than the Brainwavz HM5 and its cloned siblings.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back