++ FULL-SIZE HEADPHONE RECOMMENDATIONS THREAD++ CLOSED: Please post a thread in the Introductions, Help and Advice forum
Dec 20, 2011 at 5:08 PM Post #10,291 of 29,490
Thanks Armaegis and RockJaw. I looked through ebay and Amazon but I couldn't see any deals like the one I linked to. I contacted iheadphones and they said they have the M50s on order so I think I might just be patient.

I had a look at the site you linked to RockJaw but I don't think I'll order from there. I don't really like the look of the site, or the fact that you seem to need to make an account and give credit card details just to look at shipping fees and options. It'd work out around $40 cheaper (with the cheapest, non tracked shipping) but if anything went wrong the hassle and cost of returning something to the US is off-putting, not to mention the wait while it actually gets shipped over here. 

Thanks all the same!

Dec 20, 2011 at 5:40 PM Post #10,292 of 29,490
Hi guys! I`m in a rush, I need to buy for FRIDAY in Qc Canada a pair of Cans for a friend. The guy is semi-pro DJ and is gonna use them to game a bit on the computer. mainly will be plugged on the machines he uses to DJ and to a Computer Amp

Budget: 450$

The guy is rather small and as a small head too :D

what should I get him and where :frowning2: ...

Dec 20, 2011 at 6:18 PM Post #10,293 of 29,490
Hey guys, 

Thanks for responding to my previous post. Now I have decided that most amount of portability I am going to be doing is just moving around the house. So I mean the HD598's are can's that do sound better with an amp/dac but I could sacrifice the portability and get something like the e10 and I doubt I would lose much.
In terms of the E10 price point, is there anything better than that?
The main reason I was buying the HD598's was because of the discounted price on amazon, but that discount isn't available anymore.
Should I wait for the HD598's to drop back to down to the S170 USD or purchase something like the AD900's. With these cans I would be limited to getting only the E6.
I am playing the waiting game as I am supposed to recieve  a Amazon gift card from my work, and until then I have to wait to buy my pair of cans and amp/dac.  

Dec 20, 2011 at 6:54 PM Post #10,294 of 29,490

...so im slowly getting into this who "hi-fi-audio" world.  I've been lurking around here for a few months and what not.  I'm looking to get my first pair of full-sized headphones.  My history of headphone equipment has only been with IEM:

I've owned Shure E2c and SE 210s.  Thats basically all i've ever owned and know.

I recently looked at the buyers guide and became curious.  I've had my eyes set on the ATH-M50s and i read that those are the entry level for most users and they are within the price range.  So from what i read, i know i can't go wrong on those, but i'd like to get the best for my $.  And i don't think i'll be using an amplifier anytime soon (if such info is needed).

I would like something that doesn't leak sound/has good sound isolation.  I do listen to a wide variety of music, but mainly hip-hop and music that utilizes a full band...so i guess rock?  id like to appreciate the beat of the drums, the effects of an electric guitar and everything that is invested into the engineering of music.  BUT i don't want to pay a hefty price.  i don't want to hear it THAT bad =)

...so can anyone help a brother out?

thanks!

Dec 20, 2011 at 7:23 PM Post #10,295 of 29,490
My Budget:$250
My Location: Canada, ON
My Source: Sansa Fuze, My Alienware laptop

Looking for a headphone, portability is not a criteria as I can manage with or without. Im just looking for SQ.
Priorities: Soundstage (and lots of it), bass (specially low-end bass) and mids.
Music I listen to: Trance, Indie rock, Alternative rock, Psychedelic rock etc.

Also, I prefer isolation so I think closed backed headphones would suit me more. I have no amp, so lower impedance is also a plus.
I'm considering getting Audio Technica AD900 (closed back), how are they?

Dec 20, 2011 at 8:39 PM Post #10,296 of 29,490
Hi everyone,

What an interesting topic! One could stay here for hours... Oh wait, that's what I'm actually doing...

So, I currently have some Sennheiser PX 200, I wear them several hours a day, for about three years now. The pads are ruined now, and I was wondering what new pair I could get to replace them.
Of course, I will try to fix them, but I'd like to get a new pair too.

Unfortunately, I don't have a huge budget. I'd say in this interval [$140,$160].

I would like some pair for a daily use, outside, on the subway, on the bus, ...
I usually listen to music with my iPhone or with my computer.
I listen to a lot of different kinds of music, from classical to hip-hop.

Do you have any suggestion?

I've looked the HD 25-1 II but I'm a bit lost at the moment.

Could you help me please?

Dec 20, 2011 at 8:42 PM Post #10,297 of 29,490

The HD25-II is a great choice for a budget portable. For your budget, they'd probably be my highest suggestions. 
Quote:
Hi everyone,

What an interesting topic! One could stay here for hours... Oh wait, that's what I'm actually doing...

So, I currently have some Sennheiser PX 200, I wear them several hours a day, for about three years now. The pads are ruined now, and I was wondering what new pair I could get to replace them.
Of course, I will try to fix them, but I'd like to get a new pair too.

Unfortunately, I don't have a huge budget. I'd say in this interval [$140,$160].

I would like some pair for a daily use, outside, on the subway, on the bus, ...
I usually listen to music with my iPhone or with my computer.
I listen to a lot of different kinds of music, from classical to hip-hop.

Do you have any suggestion?

I've looked the HD 25-1 II but I'm a bit lost at the moment.

Could you help me please?

Dec 20, 2011 at 8:50 PM Post #10,298 of 29,490

Quote:
Hi guys! I`m in a rush, I need to buy for FRIDAY in Qc Canada a pair of Cans for a friend. The guy is semi-pro DJ and is gonna use them to game a bit on the computer. mainly will be plugged on the machines he uses to DJ and to a Computer Amp

Budget: 450$

The guy is rather small and as a small head too :D

what should I get him and where :frowning2: ...

Beyerdynamic DT770 or DT1350
Pioneer HDJ-2000
Sennheiser HD280/380

Quote:
Hey guys, 

Thanks for responding to my previous post. Now I have decided that most amount of portability I am going to be doing is just moving around the house. So I mean the HD598's are can's that do sound better with an amp/dac but I could sacrifice the portability and get something like the e10 and I doubt I would lose much.
In terms of the E10 price point, is there anything better than that?
The main reason I was buying the HD598's was because of the discounted price on amazon, but that discount isn't available anymore.
Should I wait for the HD598's to drop back to down to the S170 USD or purchase something like the AD900's. With these cans I would be limited to getting only the E6.
I am playing the waiting game as I am supposed to recieve  a Amazon gift card from my work, and until then I have to wait to buy my pair of cans and amp/dac.  

Both are good cans. Neither needs an amp, but the Audio Technica is perhaps even easier to drive than the Senn. 

Quote:

...so im slowly getting into this who "hi-fi-audio" world.  I've been lurking around here for a few months and what not.  I'm looking to get my first pair of full-sized headphones.  My history of headphone equipment has only been with IEM:

I've owned Shure E2c and SE 210s.  Thats basically all i've ever owned and know.

I recently looked at the buyers guide and became curious.  I've had my eyes set on the ATH-M50s and i read that those are the entry level for most users and they are within the price range.  So from what i read, i know i can't go wrong on those, but i'd like to get the best for my $.  And i don't think i'll be using an amplifier anytime soon (if such info is needed).

I would like something that doesn't leak sound/has good sound isolation.  I do listen to a wide variety of music, but mainly hip-hop and music that utilizes a full band...so i guess rock?  id like to appreciate the beat of the drums, the effects of an electric guitar and everything that is invested into the engineering of music.  BUT i don't want to pay a hefty price.  i don't want to hear it THAT bad =)

thanks!

The M50 is a great starting point. Sound Professionals currently has the best price for them.

Quote:

Looking for a headphone, portability is not a criteria as I can manage with or without. Im just looking for SQ.
Priorities: Soundstage (and lots of it), bass (specially low-end bass) and mids.

Also, I prefer isolation so I think closed backed headphones would suit me more. I have no amp, so lower impedance is also a plus.

I believe you mean the A900 (since the AD900 is the open version). The isolation is only moderate on them, and while they have better bass than the A700 they probably aren't enough for the average consumer. 

If you have a Long & McQuade nearby, try checking out:
Sony MDR-7510 (basically the same as the ZX700)
Senn HD280

Dec 20, 2011 at 8:58 PM Post #10,299 of 29,490
Hey everyone, I'm in need of some assistance! I've got a friend whose looking for some circumaural headphones for $100 or less. He mainly listens to classical so he wants something with a lot of clarity. Thanks in advance!

P.S. I mainly focus on IEMs so I'm kind of clueless when it comes to full size headphones, except for Grados, but those aren't very isolationg.. Help please! :D

Dec 20, 2011 at 9:04 PM Post #10,300 of 29,490

Quote:

I'm not sure how Canadian prices are different than USD prices off-hand, but I'll give it my best shot.
We're in the funny area of reaching a high budget while simultaneously not having an amp. This begins to limit us toward the higher end portable headphones for the most part. 

V-Moda Crossfade M80/V80: These go for around $200. They're durable, stylish, and bass-heavy. It's a little loose on the bass, but they'll run well out of a laptop or portable source.
The Denon D2000 if you can find it in stock. High sound quality, high quality bass, can be driven safely out of a portable.
DT990 32ohm has a lot of bass and is open-back while being able to be driven well without an amp. They're a little bright, but should be pretty good besides that. 

The closed AD900? You mean the A900? Personally, I'd avoid them because they roll off the bass too early for me. There are certainly worse choices, but I feel like there are probably some better ones. I really don't feel like many of the Audio-Technicas offer high value besides the M50. For someone with priority on bass, I'd say you want to avoid them. 

Quote:

thanks!

The M50 is a solid choice, but there are other choices which I feel have higher bang-for-the-buck, even if the M50s are solid value in the low $100s bracket. The Creative Aurvana Live! if you can snag it under $70 is a great pick. The Brainwavz HM5 is another good pick, as it is a rebrand of the Fischer Audio FA-003. 

Quote:
Hi guys. just started posting today. i had a pair of klipsch image s4's for about a year and they were amazing, but the cable died on me and now i only have a pair of skullcandy. i desperately need a new pair but im not sure what to go for. ive been considering the grado sr60, akg k142, and klipsch image x5. any advice? i loved the clarity and balance of the s4's and am kinda hoping for something similar but on/over ear. i included the x5 just cuz i can get them pretty cheap. 

i listen to a wide variety of music: indie rock, indie pop, rap, some classic rock, garage rock, soul, hip-hop, rnb...so yea im kind of hoping for something that is more balanced as opposed to something that's really bass heavy. again i loved the clarity of the s4 so something similar would be nice. 

i know this is kind of sad but i actually really want to get something that looks a bit more retro as well, similar to the sr60 or k142 kind of design. i know thats a terrible way of picking but i just can't help it... :/

thanks in advance for any help!

What is your budget? 

Dec 20, 2011 at 9:44 PM Post #10,301 of 29,490
Hey everyone,

Been lurking around for a while but can't really figure out what I want so I figured I'd ask here for some suggestions.

The only headphones I have currently are AKG k430's, monster turbines(regular), and klipsch x10's(which I haven't tried yet). I am looking for full size headphones though since IEM's get uncomfortable and the portable akg's are starting to hurt my ears after 20 minutes.

My budget is $200 and it's best if they are open air cans but I don't really mind if they are closed. I will be using it strictly on my laptop without an amp, and portability isn't a concern. The types of music I listen to have mostly instrumentals in them and vocals. I'd say 70%+ of my library contains songs with guitars/drums/piano/violin sometimes all of them are included in the tracks with vocals. The rest is a mixture of trance and rap. The music I listen to is mostly FLAC/320kbps.

Comfort is definitely something that is extremely important since none of my current headphones meet that criteria sadly. I was thinking of just going with the Sennheiser HD598's but wanted to see other opinions first. Thanks in advance everyone!

Dec 20, 2011 at 10:02 PM Post #10,302 of 29,490
I am not an expert, but it seems like some grados might be nice for the guy above me: the sr225 might be good
I honestly cant see the sennheisers being a bad decision though

I tried posting in the on ear/portable headphone section but no one responded so I thought I would throw this out here, as I saw some previous discussion of these

I listen to rap, rock(metal such as trivium), electronic, a bit of dubstep, and a very small (but often enough as to need to list it) amount of pop.
I am specifically looking at the Audio Technica WS55's, the WS70's, and the V-Moda M/V80s
I need phones that are portable, and able to be used with an un-amped galaxy nexus.
I don't want to spend more than 160, though I will if I absolutely have to (I know the V-Modas are more)

Can anyone offer some advice as to what to purchase?  Are the 70's worth $50 more than the 55's. Are the V-Modas worth ditching the Audio Technica's and breaking out of my price range (Currently the V80's are 180 on amazon which is actually cheaper than the m80's which are the same right?)  Is there another, even better pair of headphones in my price range that I should know about?

Dec 20, 2011 at 10:33 PM Post #10,303 of 29,490

Quote:
The HD25-II is a great choice for a budget portable. For your budget, they'd probably be my highest suggestions. 

Thank you.

Have you tried the Sennheiser HD 25-1 ii with an iPod or iPhone, or whatever device without any amp?
I've read they work fine with an iPod in this thread: http://www.head-fi.org/t/571660/sennheiser-hd-25-1-ii-ipod
But I'd like your opinion.

In advance, thanks.

Dec 20, 2011 at 10:37 PM Post #10,304 of 29,490
In terms of power consumption, they are powered easily by portables. Don't worry about powering them.

Quote:

Thank you.

Have you tried the Sennheiser HD 25-1 ii with an iPod or iPhone, or whatever device without any amp?
I've read they work fine with an iPod in this thread: http://www.head-fi.org/t/571660/sennheiser-hd-25-1-ii-ipod

In advance, thanks.

Dec 20, 2011 at 10:47 PM Post #10,305 of 29,490

Quote:

Thank you.

In advance, thanks.

yeah they are powered easily, but the iphone/ipod doesn't help the HD25's small sound stage. Still the HD25 doesn't benefit much with my soundcard+e6 so you'll be fine with iphone/ipod. I personally love the hd25 on the iphone, but cases won't like em. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back