++ FULL-SIZE HEADPHONE RECOMMENDATIONS THREAD++ CLOSED: Please post a thread in the Introductions, Help and Advice forum
Nov 27, 2011 at 12:48 AM Post #9,511 of 29,490

Quote:
Thanks for the recommendation  on the Earforce DSS.  I'll definitely add that to the shopping list.
I'm thinking the DT990 may be overkill for my first good set of headphones and I'd like to avoid the need for an additional amp for now....
I think I might go for either the Senn HD598 or ATH AD900.  I've read reviews for both and am leaning towards the HD598.  Might even save some money and go with the HD558s.  Are there any other sets I should be considering in this range?

I use the Senn HD-558 (open headphones), with the black rubber tape removed from inside the cups, sounds great.
Might as well save a few dollars. Price is really good at Amazon.
Can not think of any other brands at the moment.
Next year when you win the lottery, you can spend $1000 for headphones.

Nov 27, 2011 at 12:55 AM Post #9,512 of 29,490

Quote:
What do you guys think:
Sennheiser HD201s for $15 or AKG K44 MKIIs for $30?
The headphones will be used primarily for casual listening and some light DJing.

Thanks in advance! 
L3000.gif

Quick update:
The K44s are marketed as Supra-aural but they do fit all the way around my ears and sound fine to me.  Should I keep them or save $15 and get the HD201s?

Nov 27, 2011 at 3:23 AM Post #9,513 of 29,490
OK. My Sony V600s have left the building.  And probably cheaper to buy new than repair.  Never really fond of their sound anyway.  Still have to stay under a C.  40% Mahler and related Classical.  20% Kenton/Ferguson.  10% Bluegrass.  10%  Drum Corps/Brass Band.  20% Everything else.  Been out of the loop for decades.  This looks like the right thread at the right time.  Any and all suggestions will be greatly appreciated.  These will probably mostly be used with my PC and its built in sound card playing FLAC files and rarely with the 3 other Onkyo/Denon/Infinity/Advent systems.  TYVM.

Nov 27, 2011 at 6:54 AM Post #9,514 of 29,490
Hi,

Just a short Q here. Miles&More Miles to spend.

Sennheiser PXlli or BeyerDynamics DTX 101ie (or Bose ie2)

General opinion?

Thanks

P.S.: Side Information: I have a Corda 3Move to pair them with.

Nov 27, 2011 at 7:30 AM Post #9,515 of 29,490
Hello Head-Fi'ers.  I'm new here, and I am looking for advice.  I live in an apartment, where my wife complains about the volume level constantly.  So I wear headphones for listening to music (SACD, FLAC, CD's and High bitrate mp3's), watching movies and playing games (Xbox and Ps3).  My current pair are wireless and suck.  I have a pair of Grado's SR80's that I like, but are not comfortable for long periods (hours at times).  

So after researching, I went to my local Magnolia to see what they had.  I was interested in listening to the Sens HD598, HD600, HD650, and the ATH M50's.  I know there's a large gap between these, but they all seemed highly recommended and I wanted to compare for myself.  They only had the HD598's and an open box of the HD800's...  Well, I tried  the HD800's and I was floored.  I've never heard floyd with so much clarity before.  I spent a good hour listening to various material.  I have a wide range of musical interests.  Hip-hop, acid jazz, jazz, classical, rock, soul, blues and some electronica.  I was spoiled by these amazing headphones, they were a tad heavy from what I'm used to, but extremely comfortable.  The hd598's were no where in the same league (to be expected) but were still nice.  I was offered the floor model of the HD800's (open for 2 weeks according to the sales guy) for $1200.  If I get that I was thinking of pairing with a Schiit Lyr.  

What are your thoughts on this?  Is this overkill?  Am I mad to go in looking to spend around $400 and then think about spending $1700 when all is said and done with the amp?  Is this a good price?

Man, I'm on the fence.  I can afford it, but would a cheaper alternative sound fairly close?  Any suggestions?

Thanks!

Nov 27, 2011 at 7:58 AM Post #9,516 of 29,490

Quote:
Hello Head-Fi'ers.  I'm new here, and I am looking for advice.  I live in an apartment, where my wife complains about the volume level constantly.  So I wear headphones for listening to music (SACD, FLAC, CD's and High bitrate mp3's), watching movies and playing games (Xbox and Ps3).  My current pair are wireless and suck.  I have a pair of Grado's SR80's that I like, but are not comfortable for long periods (hours at times).  

So after researching, I went to my local Magnolia to see what they had.  I was interested in listening to the Sens HD598, HD600, HD650, and the ATH M50's.  I know there's a large gap between these, but they all seemed highly recommended and I wanted to compare for myself.  They only had the HD598's and an open box of the HD800's...  Well, I tried  the HD800's and I was floored.  I've never heard floyd with so much clarity before.  I spent a good hour listening to various material.  I have a wide range of musical interests.  Hip-hop, acid jazz, jazz, classical, rock, soul, blues and some electronica.  I was spoiled by these amazing headphones, they were a tad heavy from what I'm used to, but extremely comfortable.  The hd598's were no where in the same league (to be expected) but were still nice.  I was offered the floor model of the HD800's (open for 2 weeks according to the sales guy) for $1200.  If I get that I was thinking of pairing with a Schiit Lyr.  

What are your thoughts on this?  Is this overkill?  Am I mad to go in looking to spend around $400 and then think about spending $1700 when all is said and done with the amp?  Is this a good price?

Man, I'm on the fence.  I can afford it, but would a cheaper alternative sound fairly close?  Any suggestions?

Thanks!

Hello and welcome to head-fi. We have a saying for newcomers here: "sorry for your wallet."

The HD800 is a beautiful thing, isn't it? I enjoy mine immensely, particularly for the spaciousness of its sound. Are you mad for wanting one? Probably. But at least you're not thinking about buying a $5,000 pair of Stax.

How heavily used is the model in question? $200 off for a floor model may or may not be worth it, imo. Also consider whether you will be able to return it potentially. I know open box items sometimes can't be returned.

Also what were they using to power the HD800? It's a very picky headphone, and sometimes even well regarded or costly amps wont sound particularly good when paired up with it. Synergy is key. I'm not sure how the Lyr sounds coupled with the HD800, but I did prefer the Lyr to the Valhalla when I listened a while back. It's a good value. The only issue I could foresee is buzzing from the Lyr being audible with the HD800.  

You may also want to consider the M Stage, Violectric V100, and Meier Concerto. Those are all solid state and not tube amps. Personally, I feel solid state is generally a better choice in the sub-$1000 range.

What source will you be using these with? The Lyr and HD800 wont do you much good if you're feeding them with a poor source. In that case, I'd personally suggest going with something like a DacMagic and the Asgard instead of the Lyr. If you have a nice source though you can ignore that bit of advice.

In my humble opinion, the sweet spot for price/performance is in the $1000 to $1500 range. If you're investing in these fine headphones, then it makes sense to upgrade later on down the road to something that will truly do them justice. I recommend the DNA Sonett. It's $1300 new, but imo it will be worth it in the long run. Add a good DAC in and you'll be able to avoid "upgraditis" for a good while methinks.

Nov 27, 2011 at 8:03 AM Post #9,517 of 29,490
I'm also curious as to whether you've heard of Head Direct's HiFiMan headphones? They're pretty well regarded around here. Buying something like the HE-500 and Head Direct's hybrid tube amp would be another good choice, and less expensive. It pretty much holds its own against the HD800, but may lack some of that spaciousness.

Nov 27, 2011 at 8:05 AM Post #9,518 of 29,490
frown.gif
it's always sad to see someone go straight for the gold instead of working their way up to it

Nov 27, 2011 at 8:17 AM Post #9,519 of 29,490

I'd stay away from the Monster earphones if you want quality. They are notorious for breaking. Although they do have a one time lifetime replacement, many people end up using it! The IE8 may be a good option for you. But I'd try the Vsonic GR07. It comes in at quit a bit cheaper and may offer what you're looking for. These things have fantastic, clean and extended bass/sub bass. They do drums really well too. Check out this thread if you wan to read some more comparisons: http://www.head-fi.org/t/478568/multi-iem-review-205-iems-compared-j-phonic-k2-sp-added-11-13-11

Quote:
Hello all!
Ok, so I've narrowed down my search to 3 in ear headphones. Sennheiser's IE7, IE8, and Monster Cable's Pro gold Turbines. I Really love bass  but still want clear mids and highs, along with durability. Also, would any of these benefit from the FiiO e7? Please help me decide which one would most fit my criteria!

-Lots of bass and sub bass
-Texture in the bass region
-Clear mids (not the most important)
-Clean treble
-Build quality
-Large soundstage
-Good for drum and bass mixes from artists like TYKE, DisasZt, and NC-17

--Please compare and contrast these headphones for me, and give me any advice that you can!

Many thanks,
Connor

Nov 27, 2011 at 8:29 AM Post #9,520 of 29,490

Quote:
frown.gif
it's always sad to see someone go straight for the gold instead of working their way up to it

That's a little presumptuous, isn't it? If someone gets enjoyment from it, then who are we to say he or she is not going about it in the right way? Some people (myself included) value the journey. Others the destination.

Besides, there's always room to improve one's system. Not just headphones, but amp and source too.

Nov 27, 2011 at 9:22 AM Post #9,521 of 29,490
Hello all,

My friend is currently looking at buying some headphones and is interested in getting the Sennheiser hd 215 ( http://www.amazon.co.uk/Sennheiser-HD215-Closed-Back-Headphone/dp/B0007QN180 )

From my search on the forum there doesn't appear to be much discussion on these (recently anyway) and was wondering if anyone could provide more info on these or recommend alternatives for up to the £70 mark (I'm guessing about $120-130?).

Thank you.

Nov 27, 2011 at 9:46 AM Post #9,522 of 29,490
Quick question (and one I may have asked before, apologies if so!).  If I find the b&w p5 isolation lacking in the situation I want to wear them in, is it worth looking at either the senns hd25 or the beyer dt1350?  Listen mainly to progressive rock/metal and audiobooks.

Cheers.

Nov 27, 2011 at 10:55 AM Post #9,523 of 29,490

Quote:

That's a little presumptuous, isn't it? If someone gets enjoyment from it, then who are we to say he or she is not going about it in the right way? Some people (myself included) value the journey. Others the destination.

Besides, there's always room to improve one's system. Not just headphones, but amp and source too.

I was speaking personally. If that's what he wants, all power to him. Maybe he is a person who gets more enjoyment going from bottom to top and seeing how great the midrange can be or maybe that is just what he wants, period. I truly do hope he enjoys it regardless because like you said, ain't that what it is all about? Me though? I'm just a guy who is interested in the journey from low to high and I appreciate when others do the same.
atsmile.gif

Nov 27, 2011 at 11:52 AM Post #9,525 of 29,490

Quote:
Which is more audiophiley can: AKG K601 or Beyerdynamic DT990 Pro, when feeded with a good amp? I can get these at the same price around 200$ shipped, just can't choose which one to take.

Uhh, you mean like Analytical?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back