++ FULL-SIZE HEADPHONE RECOMMENDATIONS THREAD++ CLOSED: Please post a thread in the Introductions, Help and Advice forum
Nov 21, 2011 at 1:35 PM Post #9,331 of 29,490

Quote:
Those are DACs, not amps.  The Xonar STX has a built in amp, and so does the mixamp.  But for the most part, those are DACs.  I'd suggest getting the Xonar STX as a simple all in one solution.  I have the Xonar DS with an upgraded op amp as my DAC.

Right right, thanks mate. I figured the really cheap ones didn't have a built in amp after I read around a little. But the mixamp does, though you're recommending the STX before them.

This might not be the right forum, but how does surround sound work with sound cards? You don't need a specialized pair of surround headphones to get the milage?

Nov 21, 2011 at 3:52 PM Post #9,332 of 29,490

Quote:
Hello everyone!
I'm looking to buy the new Sennheiser HD 449's. I would like a durable well built pair of headphones with great clarity and bass, for under or around 200$ if possible. I think that the Sennheisers would fullfil this role.... I'm coming from the monster in ear turbine speakers. Do any of you have any suggestions?
 I:
-primaraly listen to dubstep, drum and bass, techno, and house
-need something somewhat portable
-does not require an amp
-listen to music mostly on my pc, less so on my samsung infuse 4g with voodoo controll due to lack of SQ
-am open to any and all suggestions

also, im new here and have no knowledge of anything audio related....

Thanks,
Connor Baker

Assuming that the newer 4x9 line sound similar to the 4x8 line... the 438 was bassier than the 448, so maybe the 439 would be better for you?

Quote:
Hey all.

I used to hang around these parts often -- owned quite a few headphones in my day (DT770s, HD650s, most of the Grado lineup, Alessandros, the list goes on and on).  I abandoned headphones for a while (dating is expensive), but am looking to make my way back.  I am looking for a good at-home setup, sourced from either a laptop or a Zune HD.  My musical tastes these days have changed quite a bit, so I'm not sure what headphones to pursue.  I listen to a lot of what I guess is modern folk? Ray LaMontagne, Damien Rice, Iron & Wine, the Civil Wars, The Middle East, Mumford and Suns, etc.  Largely male vocals.  I also enjoy listening to rock, perhaps more bluesy rock -- think the Black Keys.  I am probably looking for an amp and headphone duo (or a headphone that doesn't require an amp, given the sources) for $500 or less.

Appreciate any recommendations!

Perhaps the AKG K701/702/Q701 with the FiiO e7/e9 combo?

Quote:
i started another thread before i saw this one (sorry for the clutter, i cant seem to delete it now) basically in short im looking for a pair of headphones to upgrade from my old hd595s. wasnt particularly impressed with the improvement offered by the hd600/650. to steal someone elses nice layout;

Music genres: 30% hiphop, 35% indie/post rock 10% female vocals 10% classic rock, folk, and blues, 10% classical, 5%jazz
Portable: Only for computer use, through an amp.
Price range: up to $700 max
Closed/Open: theyll be used at home so not important, all about the sound.
Headphone preference: enjoy what i would describe as a "warm playback" sound, over cold technical accuracy. eg i prefer old AR speakers sound to that of adams A7 s or most other low-midrange monitors
Impressions so far: Im considering the Denon AH D5000s (well really the 7000s, but im afraid theyre just out of my budget),

thanks, any advice greatly appreciated.

You could get the D5000 and just buy some D7000 cups separately.

Quote:
Sweet, thanks for the help guys.. I think I'm set on getting an HD 558 for my BF3 gaming.

*Edit:  I see the Asus Xonar DG soundcard is on newegg/amazon for $15 after rebate.. If I have an asus mobo with onboard Realtek ALC892, will it make a noticeable difference to a noob audiophile 
tongue.gif
?  Or should I at least scrounge up a bit more for the DS/DX/STX?  Orrr would it all not really make that big a difference with the 558s.

Thanks again!

For $15 just get the card. If nothing else, it takes the load off your mobo while gaming.

Quote:
I know I already made a thread, but seeing as I've narrowed it down, I might as well ask.

Ultrasone DJ1 Pro or HFI-580?

I've been told the DJ1 Pro's are lacking in bass (how bad exactly) and is the extra impedance going to make a big difference when trying to use an EQ to compensate?

If you're looking for more bass, go with the 580. The extra impedance is not going to make a big difference since the Ultrasones have fairly high sensitivity ratings.

Quote:
Already made a thread on accident because I didnt see this so I'll just copy paste it here. I have almost no knowledge of headphones, so I could use some help. Right now I have a "Steelseries 4h" headset that I got as a gift awhile ago and I'm pretty sure they're just not very good. I'd like to get a good pair of actual headphones for under 100$. I'd be using them for gaming, listening to music, and watching shows. If there's anymore information you need me to provide, please let me know. Also, forgot to mention I'd prefer closed headphones and they need to be comfortable as I'll be using them a lot.

Shure 440
Sony V6
Audio Technia A700

Quote:
Hey guys I'm having a hard time deciding between these 3 cans:

Ultrasone HFI-780
Denon DNHP700
Grado sr60/80(difference?)

My preference is neutral/lows with a boost in midrange. Durability is my main concern, the denons are built like dj headphones so no worries there, but I am not sure about the ultrasones and grados. Comfort does not matter much as these pair will be on the go for at max 1 hour commutes.

If they're are any other options then closed or open is fine, slight preference on closed.

One more thing I adore sound stage but it have no clue as to their sound stages.

The Grados are neither durable nor do they provide any isolation. For isolation and midrange, I'd say the Ultrasone is the best of the three, and Ultrasones in general also handle soundstage well (in their weird S-Logic sort of way).

Quote:
Hello everyone,

I like many else found myself in trouble choosing the best headphones for me.
I am looking good headphones under 200$.

I will use them for listening music ( mostly rock, metal, hip hop...sometimes other genres as well)
It doesn't matter for me if they are open or closed because i will use them in my room so whichever are better :)
Could you people who are more experienced that me help me out?

I was looking on something like Sennheiser hd515 or hd558, or maybe AKG 242HD or is out there anything better?

PS: i currently using Sennheiser HD201 (wasn't really impressed with it, but for the money they're not bad), but they can be used as reference :)

thanks

I would say the HD558, or even the 598 if they're within budget where you're at. The AKGs generally like to have some amping behind them.

Nov 21, 2011 at 4:25 PM Post #9,333 of 29,490
Do not get surround sound headphones.  They suck really, really bad.  Good stereo headphones will give you a lot more.  You will get very good results downmixing from surround to stereo.  I would definitely suggest the STX ahead of them all.  It is a discrete card, with an excellent amp.

Quote:
Right right, thanks mate. I figured the really cheap ones didn't have a built in amp after I read around a little. But the mixamp does, though you're recommending the STX before them.

This might not be the right forum, but how does surround sound work with sound cards? You don't need a specialized pair of surround headphones to get the milage?

Nov 21, 2011 at 4:33 PM Post #9,334 of 29,490
Sup guys,
i wanna buy a headphone, but i'm between:
- Beyerdynamic Tesla DT 1350;
- Bose QuietComfort 15
- Sennheiser HD 25-1 II

and i dont know which one i choose.
I listen to all king of music. I listen a lot of gospel songs, so the music type is kinda general...
Im not an "heavy metal" guy, so im not looking for an headphone that emphases only the rock style, but general rock.
I love classic musics too! i love almost every kind of music so..

If you guys were me, which one would you choose between those three?

thank you!

Nov 21, 2011 at 4:34 PM Post #9,335 of 29,490
The Sennheiser HD 25 would be my choice.

Quote:
Sup guys,
i wanna buy a headphone, but i'm between:
- Beyerdynamic Tesla DT 1350;
- Bose QuietComfort 15
- Sennheiser HD 25-1 II

and i dont know which one i choose.
I listen to all king of music. I listen a lot of gospel songs, so the music type is kinda general...
Im not an "heavy metal" guy, so im not looking for an headphone that emphases only the rock style, but general rock.
I love classic musics too! i love almost every kind of music so..

If you guys were me, which one would you choose between those three?

thank you!

Nov 21, 2011 at 4:47 PM Post #9,336 of 29,490

Quote:

Assuming that the newer 4x9 line sound similar to the 4x8 line... the 438 was bassier than the 448, so maybe the 439 would be better for you?

Thank you! Hows the build quality and soundstage on the 439? would it be able to handle really strong bass? I tend to EQ my music so that there's lots of bass, but i would still like to be able to hear highs along with the really heavy bass notes. Also, any other over headphones that you would recommend besides Sennheiser?

Many Thanks,
Connor Baker

Nov 21, 2011 at 8:12 PM Post #9,337 of 29,490
[size=11pt] Hello, I need a closed back headphone that I would mainly use to listen to binaural beats tracks, so I need a very flat frequency response and fidelity. The HD600 would be perfect but it leaks sound. What are some possible (not more expensive) closed alternatives? It will be connected to my usb soundcard. Thanks
smile.gif
[/size]

Nov 21, 2011 at 10:05 PM Post #9,338 of 29,490
Bass Headphones Needed (Probably the most common topic)

Best for bass? I want something that thumps in my hip hop and hard electro, not something that ****s on the track like beats. I'd like it to be fairly portable, something that I can take to school and wear as a necklace or shove in my bag without it being damaged or safe inside of a carrying case. I'd also like it to be closed and have decent isolation. Ideally it'd be something that the Beats Bitches put on and go "What? You had to spend at least $600 on these if I spent $350 on my beats!"
Like it to be <$300
Looking at Ultrasone Pro 750/900 - Ultrasone HFI 580/780 - Beyerdynamic DT770, but very open to suggestions.
I'd like it not need an amp, but I have an E7 so no big deal if it does to perform at its best.

Nov 22, 2011 at 1:30 AM Post #9,339 of 29,490

Quote:
Bass Headphones Needed (Probably the most common topic)

Best for bass? I want something that thumps in my hip hop and hard electro, not something that ****s on the track like beats. I'd like it to be fairly portable, something that I can take to school and wear as a necklace or shove in my bag without it being damaged or safe inside of a carrying case. I'd also like it to be closed and have decent isolation. Ideally it'd be something that the Beats Bitches put on and go "What? You had to spend at least $600 on these if I spent $350 on my beats!"
Like it to be <$300
Looking at Ultrasone Pro 750/900 - Ultrasone HFI 580/780 - Beyerdynamic DT770, but very open to suggestions.
I'd like it not need an amp, but I have an E7 so no big deal if it does to perform at its best.

The Sennheiser HD25-1s have always been a popular suggestion for this sort of use, with good bass, very good isolation, and killer build quality. I personally think they look pretty good, too.

Nov 22, 2011 at 1:49 AM Post #9,340 of 29,490

Quote:
[size=11pt] Hello, I need a closed back headphone that I would mainly use to listen to binaural beats tracks, so I need a very flat frequency response and fidelity. The HD600 would be perfect but it leaks sound. What are some possible (not more expensive) closed alternatives? It will be connected to my usb soundcard. Thanks
smile.gif
[/size]

Fischer Audio FA-003.  It's been described as the closest to a closed HD600 that you can get.

Nov 22, 2011 at 2:12 AM Post #9,341 of 29,490

Quote:

I have the Asus Xonar Essence STX, I really like it.
But Creative Labs is coming out with a new sound card, The Recon3D (PCI-Express), with a built in headphone amplifier rated up to 600-Ohms, price should be just over $100.
Companies like Dolby have figured out how to fool the human ears in to thinking they are hearing surround sound from stereo headphones.

Nov 22, 2011 at 2:28 AM Post #9,342 of 29,490

Quote:
Thanks a lot for your answers guys, asking about the HD 598s seem common around here. So on the last page there was a bit of talk of driving the 598s and I'm just wondering if someone could go a little more in-depth?
For example, what differences will i notice between the Xonar DG, Astro gaming mixamp pro/5.8 and the Xonar STX when listening and playing on the computer? The obvious downside of course is that I can't bring a soundcard with me, but it's mainly for my computer anyway.
I'm asking because the prices between these amps differ greatly. Thanks again for helping me out!

The Sennheiser HD-598 are 50-Ohm headphones, easy to drive.

The Asus Xonar DG, Xonar Essence STX and Astro Mix-amp can all do Dolby Headphone 5.1.
The DG and STX get their input from the computer bus (PCI & PCI-Express slots).
The Astro Mix-amp is just an external device, get it's input from Digital (optical & Coaxial) and RCA jacks.
The DG has a headphone amplifier rated up to 150-Ohms
The STX has a headphone amplifier rated up to 600-Ohms
Not sure on the Astro Mix-Amp.
The STX has 3 upgradable/replaceable op-amps (operational amplifiers), to increase sound quality.

Creative Labs will have coming out any day now with a new sound card, the Recon3D, is $105 and has a 600-Ohm headphone amplifier.

Nov 22, 2011 at 3:30 AM Post #9,343 of 29,490
The Xonar DG seems interesting, as it costs only 30 euros, but will it sound noticeably better than my intel HD audio integrated sound card? Also, will the front panel headphone jack be amplified if i connect it to the Xonar DG?

Nov 22, 2011 at 3:40 AM Post #9,344 of 29,490
Hello everyone,

I have little knowledge about headphones or audio equipment in general.  I'm looking for a new (doesn't necessarily have to be brand new...used would be fine also), quality headphone, but with all the selections available, I don't really know where to start.  I will be mainly using the headphone for listening to virtually all genres of music and gaming.  I'd say that 95% of the time, I'd be using the headphone via my x-fi forte soundcard which comes with its own dedicated headphone amp. 

I'd prefer a open headphone with a good soundstage.  Max that I'm looking to spend is around $150.  Any suggestions would be appreciated.  Thanks!

Nov 22, 2011 at 3:46 AM Post #9,345 of 29,490

Quote:
The Xonar DG seems interesting, as it costs only 30 euros, but will it sound noticeably better than my intel HD audio integrated sound card? Also, will the front panel headphone jack be amplified if i connect it to the Xonar DG?

The Asus Xonar DG comes with a built in headphone amplifier rated up to 150-Ohms, I'm guessing the Intel HD does not.
The Xonar DG comes with Dolby Headphone 5.1, guessing the Intel HD does not.
The front panel headphone output uses the same headphone amplifier rated up to 150-Ohms

Users who are viewing this thread

Back