++ FULL-SIZE HEADPHONE RECOMMENDATIONS THREAD++ CLOSED: Please post a thread in the Introductions, Help and Advice forum
Sep 5, 2011 at 2:18 AM Post #6,901 of 29,490
Im looking at getting a pair of closed cans, my budget is ~$200 USD.
I currently have a pair of grado sr80i and I LOVE them (Im considering getting the RS1i later on), but sadly they arent always ideal for out of home usage (I take them to uni, listen on the train, the bus, etc.).

I mostly listen to rock (Tool, Dream theater, Queen), a little electronic/techno and an even smaller amount of classical.

My only possible issue with the sr80i is the brightness in the highs, although it is less of an issue than it used to be, and can be easily fixed with some EQ.

The phones have to be powered of my clip+ or pc sound card (for work).

I have been looking at the audio technica M50 (coiled cable) and they are my current line of thought, if anyone has any opinions on alternatives or can compare these to the 'grado sound' it'd be awesome.

Cheers.

Sep 5, 2011 at 4:42 AM Post #6,903 of 29,490
I'm looking to spend around $100 on a new pair of headphones for my laptop. At first, I was looking at the Sennheiser HD-555's, but I live in a college dorm and was wondering how good these are at blocking out sound? Also, does anyone have any experience with how much sound leaks out? Is it really as bad as some people say it is where someone from five feet away can hear what you're listening to?

I listen to a variety of different music, but I like pop, trance, and hip-hop the most. Something that can accommodate that and be closed-ear would be nice.

I was looking at the Sennheiser HD-280's and they seem to fit my price range and description nicely. Are there any comments on how good it is or what else I should be looking for?

Sep 5, 2011 at 4:57 AM Post #6,904 of 29,490

Quote:
I'm looking to spend around $100 on a new pair of headphones for my laptop. At first, I was looking at the Sennheiser HD-555's, but I live in a college dorm and was wondering how good these are at blocking out sound? Also, does anyone have any experience with how much sound leaks out? Is it really as bad as some people say it is where someone from five feet away can hear what you're listening to?

I listen to a variety of different music, but I like pop, trance, and hip-hop the most. Something that can accommodate that and be closed-ear would be nice.

I was looking at the Sennheiser HD-280's and they seem to fit my price range and description nicely. Are there any comments on how good it is or what else I should be looking for?

I dont own hd 555s but I do own a pair of grados (another open pair of headphones) and I have sat next to someone at a lan who owned a similar pair of open sennheisers (they may have been the 555s, but I cant be sure, and he had modded them a little by removing foam or something to open them up more).

With both my grados and his sennheisers the sound escapes a lot, I was able to hear everything he was playing, although I do not know his volume levels.
I use my grado around town and its ok, but if you are sitting in a quiet room listening to music at a moderate-loud level, most people in the room will be able to tell you are listening to music (they will hear a faint beat, probably the bass), and any friends sitting close to you may be able to tap along to it (or even sing along if they put their ears close enough).

I use my grados when I am working in the computer lab, the hum of the computers, mild chatter as well as keeping my volume level down a bit leaves everyone happy. Although I do constantly take them off my head to check how much sound is leaking and adjust my volume level accordingly.

I have a mate at university who owns a pair of hd280's and I have auditioned his pair a few times (2 or 3 times at ~10 mins a time). I personally dont like the sound as it feels like the music is covered in a veil, that is it feels like im at the concert with speakers tapped to the side of my head. I wasnt impressed, but they are not a bad pair of headphones, he swears by them. He often has them on for hours coding away, to get his attention you have to tap him on the shoulder, he has even been seen a few times sleeping on his train with them on listening to music. So I guess that says something for the blocking out of ambient noise.

I would recommend you try find somewhere locally where you can try them out before buying.

Sep 5, 2011 at 5:22 AM Post #6,906 of 29,490
Hey, it's been a while since I've been here so I wanna start with a quick introduction.

I came here a few years ago looking for a new pair of headphones for my computer and was sure if I wanted to go with the Sennheiser HD 555 or the Audio Technica ATH-AD700. In te end I decided for the Sennheisers because of the large price difference which didn't make it all that hard of a choice. This is because I live in The Netherlands where they were about twice as expensive.
Now a few years later I started using public transport to go to school and because the HD 555 are open I decided tot buy a pair in of in-ears, the Senneheiser cx-400 II Precision. I ahve been using these for a year now but I still don't really like the feeling of them in my ears so I am once again looking for a new pair of headphones.

Requirements:

- Closed, noise canceling or supressing
- About equal comfort to the HD 555
- Over ear, just like the HD 555
- A 3.5mm headphone jack and not 5.35mm

What do I listen to? To quite a lot of different genre's but I would enjoy a little extra bass for electronic music such as Dubstep and Drum 'n' bass.
I live in The Netherlands so some brands are hard to get by such as Audio Technica, but a friend of mine is probably going to America soon so he could take a pair with him if needed.
I was thinking about the Audio Technica ATH-A700 and M50 but the first one does seem to have a low amount of bass and the other one I have never really listened to. A friend has them though so I could ask to try them if I wanted.
I prefer cloth because leather is warmer but it doesn't really matter that much.
Also, I don't have a AMP and I don't want one because I'll be using it to travel.
The music player that I use is a iPod Touch 4th gen and at home I use my PC with a Creative Audigy 4 pro. I listen to my music encoded in v0/320 mp3's.
Budget would be 80-150 Euro's which is around 210$, but less is better of course and more is possible.
So I guess I want headphones similair to the HD 555 but closed, also a little more bass would be nice but not needed.
That should be about it.

Thanks in advance.

Sep 5, 2011 at 8:34 AM Post #6,908 of 29,490

Any suggestions for a traditionalist?

Having read through many reviews and manufacturer websites, I'm still uncertain on an upgrade path for my current setup, and would appreciate advice from more experienced members of the Head-Fi community. 

I'm looking for closed or semi-closed 'phones that deliver audio quality in terms of uncoloured, transparent presentation. I listed to a wide variety of genres, but would value the accurate reproduction of voice and acoustic instruments. Effective isolation is good, but not critical in my choice. Wearing comfort is moderately important to me. I prefer to avoid leatherette pads.

The ideal cans would be made to last, have replaceable cords/parts. Since I do not see them when I wear them, looks are not important. That said, I would choose to avoid 'cheap and shiny' fashion statements. In short, they should be durable and made for years of use.

I'll be listening on a modest setup: NAD205 and 5440 CDP. I do not have an headphone amp, nor do I plan to purchase one. I am aware of the limitations imposed by this, but prefer to keep things as simple as possible.

Listening will be done at home. iPod use and portability are not factors in my choice. Speakers are my preference, but headphones are seeing more and more use in the last few years. 

I have a pair of Sennheiser 414SLs [2 sets, actually] that I have used [intermittently] since new. They are comfortable, east to maintain [but not all that durable, really], and 'airy' sounding. I like that clarity, but suspect I'm missing out on the lower octaves. They were a great choice for me when I was a student, but it's time to move on.

My budget is modest, let's say $250. I am prepared to be flexible, if there's a good reason for doing so. After 20+ years on the Senns, I expect that I'll hear the impact of advancing technology, even within my budget. I would prefer to buy new.

Having read many 'what should I buy' posts I recognize that there are some obvious conflicts in what I have outlined: inexpensive high-AQ cans built to last, with minimal hardware requirements. That said, I have been thinking of the AKG 240mkii, 242 HD, or the AT M50. Posts don't seem to indicate that Grados would be my best choice, though I could be mistaken on this. I'd appreciate feedback on these two, or any other suitable options.

Compared to the investment that many at Head-FI make, this is not one that would break the bank. But for me, it's a tough one. I have to balance what I spend against many other obligations and priorities and I need to get it right, the first time. Unfortunately, I live in a place where auditioning hardware is not an option.

Thanks for your help.

D.

Sep 5, 2011 at 8:39 AM Post #6,909 of 29,490
'm looking for a new headphones (80-100€). I use to listening to music (alternative rock like chili peppers, incubus... post-punk) and play bass (guitar sometimes too). I'm not a gamer anymore. I've been reading the forum but I'm a mess.

Sep 5, 2011 at 2:28 PM Post #6,910 of 29,490

Hey. So I'm looking for a set of portable headphones for wearing when I'm outside. These headphones will be used for music only, and I'll be listening to mostly house, hip-hop and metal. Bass and an "in your head" sound are important.

So far I'm interested in the Ultrasone DJ1-Pro, but it is right at the top of what I would be willing to pay. On the other hand they look cool, and the detachable cables are a nice touch. Any experiences or other recommendations would be welcome!

Quote:
'm looking for a new headphones (80-100€). I use to listening to music (alternative rock like chili peppers, incubus... post-punk) and play bass (guitar sometimes too). I'm not a gamer anymore. I've been reading the forum but I'm a mess.

Grado's headphones sound great with rock and several of their headphones are well within your budget (sr60, sr80, etc...). They have a unique punchy sound so you might want to try a pair first.

If you plan to play guitar and use the headphones at the same time, you should probably look into getting some "studio" head-phones that isolate noise. I'll let somebody more knowledgeable answer that question!

Sep 5, 2011 at 3:44 PM Post #6,911 of 29,490
I think fynkym4n comes from Europe, and Grado's cans are fairly difficult to get outside the states.
I would personally suggest the ATH AD700 or a Sennheiser HD 558. The latter might be ten euros or so above your budget, but should still be worth looking in to.

Sep 5, 2011 at 3:53 PM Post #6,912 of 29,490

Quote:
For the lazy:

Pioneer SE-M290

vs.

Sennheiser HD 202 II

Or if there are better headphones in this price range (20-25), I would be open to suggestions. First time buying over the ear headphones... Going to be using them for gaming / some music / youtubing lol

My vote goes to the HD202

Quote:
Im looking at getting a pair of closed cans, my budget is ~$200 USD.
I currently have a pair of grado sr80i and I LOVE them (Im considering getting the RS1i later on), but sadly they arent always ideal for out of home usage (I take them to uni, listen on the train, the bus, etc.).

I mostly listen to rock (Tool, Dream theater, Queen), a little electronic/techno and an even smaller amount of classical.

My only possible issue with the sr80i is the brightness in the highs, although it is less of an issue than it used to be, and can be easily fixed with some EQ.

The phones have to be powered of my clip+ or pc sound card (for work).

I have been looking at the audio technica M50 (coiled cable) and they are my current line of thought, if anyone has any opinions on alternatives or can compare these to the 'grado sound' it'd be awesome.

Cheers.

I think the Phiaton MS300 would be a great fit for you. It's small and portable, has decent isolation, and has a bit of a Grado-esque sound in that it has the punchy edge to it, yet has the typical Phiaton brand sound with the downturned treble.

Quote:
how do the hifiman HE-300 compare SQ-wise to K701? anyone heard them both?

You might have better luck asking this in the dedicated HE-300 thread as it's still a relatively new product and not many people have heard it. 

Quote:

The 555 (as well as the 595/558/598/600/650) are all open backed and do not isolate at all. Similarly, a lot of sound leaks out (though not as badly as a Grado). If you have roommates, this would not be suitable. 

The HD280 is *very* good at isolation; probably the best you can get at your price point short of IEMs. 

Some other headphones to consider: Audio Technica M50, Shure 840, AKG K181 (all slightly above budget), Shure 550/750, etc. These have a bit more thump to them, but don't isolate as well as the HD280.

Quote:
Anyone know how well a Zhaolu D2.5 with discrete headphone amp would drive the DT880 600 ohm version? Would the 250 or 32 be better, even considering I will be upgrading my headphone amp in the future?

I can't find much for specs online... but I would hesitantly say the 250 should be an ok choice. 

Quote:
Hey, it's been a while since I've been here so I wanna start with a quick introduction.

I came here a few years ago looking for a new pair of headphones for my computer and was sure if I wanted to go with the Sennheiser HD 555 or the Audio Technica ATH-AD700. In te end I decided for the Sennheisers because of the large price difference which didn't make it all that hard of a choice. This is because I live in The Netherlands where they were about twice as expensive.
Now a few years later I started using public transport to go to school and because the HD 555 are open I decided tot buy a pair in of in-ears, the Senneheiser cx-400 II Precision. I ahve been using these for a year now but I still don't really like the feeling of them in my ears so I am once again looking for a new pair of headphones.

Requirements:

- Closed, noise canceling or supressing
- About equal comfort to the HD 555
- Over ear, just like the HD 555
- A 3.5mm headphone jack and not 5.35mm

What do I listen to? To quite a lot of different genre's but I would enjoy a little extra bass for electronic music such as Dubstep and Drum 'n' bass.
I live in The Netherlands so some brands are hard to get by such as Audio Technica, but a friend of mine is probably going to America soon so he could take a pair with him if needed.
I was thinking about the Audio Technica ATH-A700 and M50 but the first one does seem to have a low amount of bass and the other one I have never really listened to. A friend has them though so I could ask to try them if I wanted.
I prefer cloth because leather is warmer but it doesn't really matter that much.
Also, I don't have a AMP and I don't want one because I'll be using it to travel.
The music player that I use is a iPod Touch 4th gen and at home I use my PC with a Creative Audigy 4 pro. I listen to my music encoded in v0/320 mp3's.
Budget would be 80-150 Euro's which is around 210$, but less is better of course and more is possible.
So I guess I want headphones similair to the HD 555 but closed, also a little more bass would be nice but not needed.
That should be about it.

Thanks in advance.

The A700 does not isolate very well. The M50 is much better in comparison comparatively. 

The best I've tried for isolation in around-ear headphones is the Senn HD280, HD380, and Beyer DT770. I would not recommend the Beyer unless you have a portable amp. 

The HD380 is a bit warmer in sound and more comfortable than the HD380, but also costs a bit more. 

Quote:
Audio Technica ATH M50.... Anyone tried/own these cans? know what they sound like?

They're good all rounders. Solid bass thump, slightly recessed mids, strong highs. 

Quote:

Any suggestions for a traditionalist?

Having read through many reviews and manufacturer websites, I'm still uncertain on an upgrade path for my current setup, and would appreciate advice from more experienced members of the Head-Fi community. 

I'm looking for closed or semi-closed 'phones that deliver audio quality in terms of uncoloured, transparent presentation. I listed to a wide variety of genres, but would value the accurate reproduction of voice and acoustic instruments. Effective isolation is good, but not critical in my choice. Wearing comfort is moderately important to me. I prefer to avoid leatherette pads.

The ideal cans would be made to last, have replaceable cords/parts. Since I do not see them when I wear them, looks are not important. That said, I would choose to avoid 'cheap and shiny' fashion statements. In short, they should be durable and made for years of use.

I'll be listening on a modest setup: NAD205 and 5440 CDP. I do not have an headphone amp, nor do I plan to purchase one. I am aware of the limitations imposed by this, but prefer to keep things as simple as possible.

Listening will be done at home. iPod use and portability are not factors in my choice. Speakers are my preference, but headphones are seeing more and more use in the last few years. 

I have a pair of Sennheiser 414SLs [2 sets, actually] that I have used [intermittently] since new. They are comfortable, east to maintain [but not all that durable, really], and 'airy' sounding. I like that clarity, but suspect I'm missing out on the lower octaves. They were a great choice for me when I was a student, but it's time to move on.

My budget is modest, let's say $250. I am prepared to be flexible, if there's a good reason for doing so. After 20+ years on the Senns, I expect that I'll hear the impact of advancing technology, even within my budget. I would prefer to buy new.

Having read many 'what should I buy' posts I recognize that there are some obvious conflicts in what I have outlined: inexpensive high-AQ cans built to last, with minimal hardware requirements. That said, I have been thinking of the AKG 240mkii, 242 HD, or the AT M50. Posts don't seem to indicate that Grados would be my best choice, though I could be mistaken on this. I'd appreciate feedback on these two, or any other suitable options.

Compared to the investment that many at Head-FI make, this is not one that would break the bank. But for me, it's a tough one. I have to balance what I spend against many other obligations and priorities and I need to get it right, the first time. Unfortunately, I live in a place where auditioning hardware is not an option.

Thanks for your help.

D.

I'm assuming the NAD205 is a receiver or amp of some sort? That should cover the power requirements of most headphones. 

The best headphones I can think of for vocal and acoustics are open... such as the Audio Technica AD700/900 and AKG K240/701. There are the closed versions such as the A700/900 or AKG K271, but in my opinion don't sound nearly as good as their open counterparts. 

The Beyerdynamic DT880 is semi-open and has a pretty nice sound, though likes to have a little more power. Not a problem if running from a receiver. The Denon D2000 could work, it has a nice even frequency response with bass reverb, though it has leatherette pads. 

Though I haven't heard it myself, the Shure 940 might suit your requirements from what I've read. Strong mids and midhighs which is good for acoustics, strong isolation, velour pads, replaceable cord and pads, and easy to drive. 

Quote:

Alessandro MS1

Quote:
Hey. So I'm looking for a set of portable headphones for wearing when I'm outside. These headphones will be used for music only, and I'll be listening to mostly house, hip-hop and metal. Bass and an "in your head" sound are important.

So far I'm interested in the Ultrasone DJ1-Pro, but it is right at the top of what I would be willing to pay. On the other hand they look cool, and the detachable cables are a nice touch. Any experiences or other recommendations would be welcome!

I think it'll suit you. It's a strong bassy headphone and the S-Logic will give that "surround your head" feeling. 

Sep 5, 2011 at 3:55 PM Post #6,913 of 29,490

Quote:
Need help deciding between these two pairs:
For the lazy:

Pioneer SE-M290

vs.

Sennheiser HD 202 II

Or if there are better headphones in this price range (20-25), I would be open to suggestions. First time buying over the ear headphones... Going to be using them for gaming / some music / youtubing lol

Ok well i haven't tried the Pioneer SE-M290 but i have heard they are good. However, the sennheiser HD202 II in my opinion are the best headphones for that price range.
Good insulation, Good sound quality not distorted at high volumes, Nice bass, comfortable for long hours of listening, not hughely  portable but i cary them around my neck a lot, it's an overall very nice headphone.
One thing i found with it (still do) is that it sounds soft everything sounds soft, not very crisp. I use high quality music 320kbps or WAV/ Flac, but i find it soft thats all.
for £22 it's wonderful. GO GET!

Sep 5, 2011 at 5:50 PM Post #6,914 of 29,490
The Budget:
    Not enough for what I need all at once.  I have around $300 extra per month to spend on audio for the next few months, then more after that, so things will need to be bought separately.

The Situation:
    I had a pair of Pioneer HDJ-1000's that I've been using for a few years now, Some J-B weld fixed the snapping in half problem that they had, but the sound just isn't good anymore and they are still not comfortable, so all I really have to use now is my gaming headset which is really excellent at being comfortable and exaggerating footsteps and bombs being defused, but that's really not what I'm looking to do.

The Needs:
    Two needs really, well ok, one" need" and a "really want".

First I need a set of headphones for tracking drums/percussion and acoustic+electric guitar and vocals, and keyboard.  Since all of those instruments (except the keyboard) are being mic'ed I'm thinking that I need something closed, lightweight, comfortable, good isolation, with a "fast attack"  (low group delay?), anyway something that has that percussive drum feel somewhere in it.

Second (the want) I want/need a set of open back circumaural headphones for mixing and also for just listening, and gaming (but not multiplayer).  The most important thing is that I want a huge soundstage, the bigger the better.  I prefer a flat response for the low and mid range (should still extend to 20hz or lower), but a peek higher up so things like bells, whistles, cymbals, and Vitas sound sharp.

I think that I may need an amp as well, but really I have no clue on this, I'll be using these with various things, mostly with my zoom r24 interface, but also direct to a Yamaha p95 keyboard, and a Pioneer VSX-D412 receiver at the computer.

The Problem:
    I can't try any out before I buy them so I'm stuck reading comparison reviews and that's not really getting me very far very quickly, I'm still confused as to what I need.  So far as I can tell the Sennheiser HD598's would be a good match for the open back set, but I don't know if there is a better option out there, especially since they are just that ugly (I'll still buy them if it's what is right sound wise, because I know my taste is a bit off. (I think the AKG q701 are some of the best looking)) For the closed back I really don't know, I'm looking for sound at least as detailed and isolated as the HDJ-1000's but more comfort and lighter.

Does anyone care to make some suggestions for me? 

Sep 5, 2011 at 6:54 PM Post #6,915 of 29,490
Budget = Under $500

Here's my listening preference:

Hip-Hop = 50%
The rest* = 50%
*includes in order Electronic,Pop,Rock,Orchestra (film soundtracks)

My current source is my Zune HD and my computer. I will eventually buy an AMP and DAC so if you recommend a headphone that needs to be amped that's ok.

In order of importance:
1. Balanced sound since I listen to a variety of music. I don't like bass heavy headphones.
2. Comfort (I don't want head fatigue or listening fatigue)
Open or closed is fine with me

The only headphones I'm familiar with is the Sennheiser PX-100 and the UE Super 5 Pro. I'm open to any suggestions. Right now I'm leaning towards the HD600 or HD650, but I would need to listen to them first before deciding.

Thanks!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back