++ FULL-SIZE HEADPHONE RECOMMENDATIONS THREAD++ CLOSED: Please post a thread in the Introductions, Help and Advice forum
May 19, 2011 at 9:22 PM Post #4,111 of 29,490

Quote:
What SS amps are you pairing the HE 500 with? Curious as mine should be here next week.

It's the headphone amp built into a Lavry DA11 dac.  It's spec'd at 37 V for 50 Ohm headphone so has lots of juice for low ohm headphones.  It sounds a lot more neutral and has better detail than a tube amp connected to the same dac portion so I tend to use it more.  I like it more than a Denon stereo, but haven't compared it to other SS headphone amps (other than portables, which are far less powerful).

May 19, 2011 at 9:31 PM Post #4,112 of 29,490
So, I pulled the trigger on a pair of AT AD700's; for $93 from Amazon, it would up looking like a no-brainer. I should have them by the weekend, and I'm looking forward to comparing them to my HD280s. If only my NFB-12 were coming that quickly!

Hm. I wonder what I'm going to be unable to resist next...

May 20, 2011 at 4:08 AM Post #4,113 of 29,490
Anybody else has some suggestions? :) otherwise i am pulling the trigger on the Pro 900 today :xf_eek: as well anybody could suggest some cheap amp to go with them? Cause i think my fiio will not do justice for them :wink:

Quote:
Hey there everybody! So far I have only been lurking in the IEM forum, but now I have decided I need something bigger :wink:
The thing is I am a committed bass-head, 90-95% of music I listen is dNb. I'm looking for some closed headphones with the best possible bass (and overall SQ ) in the price range of about 350$. So far I am leaning towards Ultrasone Pro 900. Are there any better options than these in this sort of price range? Will they leave me satisfied? Cause lets say I own FS atrio mg7, HJE-900, Eterna rev.1 and my source is cowon S9 and i still EQ them to Mach3Bass-10 and add another 4db in the lowest range. As well I listen to them at quite high volumes usually anywhere in between 28-35 out of 40.
Any advice much appreciated :wink:

May 20, 2011 at 5:40 AM Post #4,114 of 29,490
Is there a good alternative to the MS2? Something to do pretty much the same things (mostly rock, metal), with the same kind of sound (althought I don't mind if they're closed) for less than 300$.

May 20, 2011 at 7:43 AM Post #4,115 of 29,490
in term of your guys preference, how will senn hd 25 1 ii/hd 598/beyer t50p/dt990 pro 250/dt 770 pro 80 rank in comfort and sounds??
i need suggestion as a start of headphone journeys :p
i m looking mainly for whichever give best value(hd 25 got plus from me since its portability but that not the main issue)
currently will only use from laptop or clip+ but there is possibility that i will invest on amp or dac later
i listen to rock jazz acoustic pop rnb

thanx before :)

May 20, 2011 at 11:02 AM Post #4,117 of 29,490
Thnx but too late ;D already pulled the trigger on the Pro 900. Thnx for the advice anyway :) but from what i have read the ultrasones are superior and dont fall that much behind from denon 7000. Still any suggestions for a cheap portable amp?

Quote:

Anybody else has some suggestions? :) otherwise i am pulling the trigger on the Pro 900 today :xf_eek: as well anybody could suggest some cheap amp to go with them? Cause i think my fiio will not do justice for them :wink:

Perhaps the Denon AH-D2000?

May 20, 2011 at 12:00 PM Post #4,118 of 29,490
JDSLabs has its cMoyBB.  It is quite small, and has very good reviews.  It is also inexpensive at only ~$60. 
http://www.jdslabs.com/products.php?page=cmoy

Quote:
Thnx but too late ;D already pulled the trigger on the Pro 900. Thnx for the advice anyway :) but from what i have read the ultrasones are superior and dont fall that much behind from denon 7000. Still any suggestions for a cheap portable amp?

Perhaps the Denon AH-D2000?

May 20, 2011 at 1:54 PM Post #4,120 of 29,490

Quote:
I am interested in buying some new closed headphones for around $120 or less. I already own the Sennheiser HD212 and 238's. The 212's are ok but I don't really use them because I find them uncomfortable. I love my 238's and think they sound great but because they are open they are not ideal to listen to around others. The only amps that I own are the Fiio E5 and a bravo hybrid tube amp that I bought from ebay a while back. After researching a little, I think that I might go for the Audio Technica ATH A700's because I would like something with a decent soundstage. Also from what I've read it seems like they are fairly easy to drive. I will be mostly using them with my iPad and one of the two amps that I have. Does anyone have any other suggestions for a good closed headphone in this price range or is this my best bet?

Within the Senneheiser family, the PX200-ii is a nice little headphone. Not as super comfortable as the 238, but tighter/more defined sound and much improved isolation, and better portability.

The A700 does have good soundstage (as does all the full sized art AT series) and can be driven easily. You will find that it will have a more pronounced midrange compared to the 238, and a feel of resonance which helps create the large soundstage (at times I feel it's a bit echo-y). The A700 is quite big though; a lot of people who consider the AT headphones don't really consider how big these things are.

Also to consider: M50, Shure 440 or 550, Denon D1001 (if you can find it), Creative Aurvana Live

Quote:
Is there a good alternative to the MS2? Something to do pretty much the same things (mostly rock, metal), with the same kind of sound (althought I don't mind if they're closed) for less than 300$.

I usually recommend an Ultrasone or the Phiaton MS300 when people look for a closed Grado.

You might also consider the Symphones Magnum upgrade for your MS2 which I think is around your budget.

Quote:
in term of your guys preference, how will senn hd 25 1 ii/hd 598/beyer t50p/dt990 pro 250/dt 770 pro 80 rank in comfort and sounds??
i need suggestion as a start of headphone journeys :p
i m looking mainly for whichever give best value(hd 25 got plus from me since its portability but that not the main issue)
currently will only use from laptop or clip+ but there is possibility that i will invest on amp or dac later
i listen to rock jazz acoustic pop rnb

thanx before :)

My rankings... (best to worst)
comfort: HD598, DT990/770 pro, T50p, HD25-1-ii (I am not fond of hight clamp with earpads, which is why the HD25 ranks low for me here)
sound: HD598, HD25 tied T50p, DT770, DT990

Quote:
if i use fuze + lo+ amp, and i listen to wav.
ultrasone dj1 pro or shure 840 is better for hip-hop and rap in SQ and bass?

I prefer the sound of the 840, but comfort is hit or miss. The bass and midrange of the 840 is cleaner and has a deeper feel to it. The Ultrasone though has a more viceral bass impact.

May 20, 2011 at 2:47 PM Post #4,121 of 29,490

Quote:
Within the Senneheiser family, the PX200-ii is a nice little headphone. Not as super comfortable as the 238, but tighter/more defined sound and much improved isolation, and better portability.

The A700 does have good soundstage (as does all the full sized art AT series) and can be driven easily. You will find that it will have a more pronounced midrange compared to the 238, and a feel of resonance which helps create the large soundstage (at times I feel it's a bit echo-y). The A700 is quite big though; a lot of people who consider the AT headphones don't really consider how big these things are.

Also to consider: M50, Shure 440 or 550, Denon D1001 (if you can find it), Creative Aurvana Live

I usually recommend an Ultrasone or the Phiaton MS300 when people look for a closed Grado.

You might also consider the Symphones Magnum upgrade for your MS2 which I think is around your budget.

My rankings... (best to worst)
comfort: HD598, DT990/770 pro, T50p, HD25-1-ii (I am not fond of hight clamp with earpads, which is why the HD25 ranks low for me here)
sound: HD598, HD25 tied T50p, DT770, DT990

I prefer the sound of the 840, but comfort is hit or miss. The bass and midrange of the 840 is cleaner and has a deeper feel to it. The Ultrasone though has a more viceral bass impact.

if i use fuze and dj1 pro, what amp do you recommend i use.
prize rage under 200, and portable.( ok to be a little big, but not to bulky in pocket)

May 20, 2011 at 2:49 PM Post #4,122 of 29,490

Thanks for the reply, as for the PX200's, I already have two pairs of Senheiser headphones so I am looking to try a new sound signature from a new company. I tried looking for the Denon's but I couldn't find them anymore. I know the Audio Technica A700's are large, I think that I read the ear cups are 4" wide, but they would be purely for home use only, so I don't care how goofy they look. I will have to check out your other suggestions as well.

May 20, 2011 at 3:30 PM Post #4,124 of 29,490
Question about the

Audio-Technica ATH-AD900

- Can these be driven ok by an iPod or similar player?  Yeah, I know...headphone amps are great.   But would these work for casual listening w/o an amp?

Thanks for any comments.

May 20, 2011 at 4:16 PM Post #4,125 of 29,490
Here's another question..... here's two AT cans ten bucks apart in price.   Anyone have any comments on why you would buy one over the other?

http://www.amazon.com/Audio-Technica-ATH-ESW9A-Portable-Wooden-Headphones/dp/B002FTIDQC/ref=lh_ni_t

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00070GXBS/ref=ox_sc_act_title_2?ie=UTF8&m=A13BNE3P7C8THK

Users who are viewing this thread

Back