++ FULL-SIZE HEADPHONE RECOMMENDATIONS THREAD++ CLOSED: Please post a thread in the Introductions, Help and Advice forum
May 18, 2011 at 7:47 PM Post #4,096 of 29,490
As with all things audio, you have diminishing returns as you climb up. Sennheisers tend to have a very similar sound across their full sized open headphones. Grados tend to have a similar sound going up as well. There's a $1k difference across them. Whether or not the small changes in sound is worthwhile is up to the listener and the size of their wallet.

I was told to try out AKG K701 and especially Grado SR 325 when mentioned I find DT990 the most enjoyable. Any thoughts or experience to share?

May 18, 2011 at 8:08 PM Post #4,097 of 29,490

Quote:
I was told to try out AKG K701 and especially Grado SR 325 when mentioned I find DT990 the most enjoyable. Any thoughts or experience to share?

I consider the 990 to be the brightest of the 770/880/990 family. The 325 is similarly regarded as the brightest of the Grado family, so I can see where that comparison might be made, although the 990 has a good chunk more bass to it.

The K701 is neutral and treading on bass shy by most people's standards. I wouldn't consider it similar to the 990 though. Still, worth a try if you have the opportunity.

May 19, 2011 at 5:49 AM Post #4,100 of 29,490
not sure what you mean by depth, but Sennheiser 465 could be picked up pretty cheap, and are good! my brother has a pair and i always use them as a bench mark to improve upon when im looking for new headphones. Can read about them from Here
could probably find some pretty cheap now too!
Quote:
Looking for air, space, and depth under $200. AT AD700s have been suggested; any other ideas? Any insights appreciated, and thanks in advance.

Bit of a strange question guys, but I've managed to lose all the decent fitting tips for my MEelec M6's and was wondering what the size differenece was between the triple flanges of the stock ones and Shure triple flange tips?
I ask mainly because i live in australia, so i have to get everything shipped here and that makes replacements dearer then expected.
(and also because im a starving student :D )

May 19, 2011 at 10:16 AM Post #4,101 of 29,490
not sure what you mean by depth, but Sennheiser 465 could be picked up pretty cheap, and are good! my brother has a pair and i always use them as a bench mark to improve upon when im looking for new headphones. Can read about them from Here
could probably find some pretty cheap now too!

Sorry, I didn't mean to be obscure. I'm looking for a wide and deep soundstage and excellent imaging without sacrificing neutrality and balance. I know, a "Holy Grail" quest, right?

My current full-size phones are Sennheiser HD280's that I bought primarily to use in recording music. They are pretty accurate, but also pretty flat dimensionally; I'm looking to "open up" the sound.

Again, thanks for the help!

May 19, 2011 at 12:22 PM Post #4,102 of 29,490

Quote:
Looking for air, space, and depth under $200. AT AD700s have been suggested; any other ideas? Any insights appreciated, and thanks in advance.

You can also find the AD900 at just a smidge over your budget, and probably below if used. Other than audio technicas, I would suggest taking a look at the full sized open Sennheisers. Any of the 5x5 or newer 5x8 models.

Quote:

Would the grado sr125i be a worthy upgrade from the sr60i?

It wouldn't be a strongly noticeable one, but at used prices they're ok especially if you're just looking for something to tinker/mod with. Having gone through many Grados, I would say the next step up would be the HF2 (or the 325).

May 19, 2011 at 3:49 PM Post #4,103 of 29,490
Currently I own a pair of Denon AH-D7000s hooked up to a Nuforce Icon HDP.  It's quite possibly the greatest setup I've heard, and I'm really happy with it.  But if I were to upgrade - I really probably won't, considering how happy I am with it right now - what would be the next logical step?  I hear tell that the He-500 is incredible for its price, but I don't want to end up spending limbs in finding a source.  What think ye, Head-fi?

May 19, 2011 at 6:03 PM Post #4,104 of 29,490
Hey there everybody! So far I have only been lurking in the IEM forum, but now I have decided I need something bigger :wink:
The thing is I am a committed bass-head, 90-95% of music I listen is dNb. I'm looking for some closed headphones with the best possible bass (and overall SQ ) in the price range of about 350$. So far I am leaning towards Ultrasone Pro 900. Are there any better options than these in this sort of price range? Will they leave me satisfied? Cause lets say I own FS atrio mg7, HJE-900, Eterna rev.1 and my source is cowon S9 and i still EQ them to Mach3Bass-10 and add another 4db in the lowest range. As well I listen to them at quite high volumes usually anywhere in between 28-35 out of 40.
Any advice much appreciated :wink:

May 19, 2011 at 6:11 PM Post #4,105 of 29,490
XB 1000 or Pro 900. Take your pick. lol

I'd take the Pro 900 simply for speed (because you listen to DnB). Plus they don't look dopey. :D

Quote:
Hey there everybody! So far I have only been lurking in the IEM forum, but now I have decided I need something bigger :wink:
The thing is I am a committed bass-head, 90-95% of music I listen is dNb. I'm looking for some closed headphones with the best possible bass (and overall SQ ) in the price range of about 350$. So far I am leaning towards Ultrasone Pro 900. Are there any better options than these in this sort of price range? Will they leave me satisfied? Cause lets say I own FS atrio mg7, HJE-900, Eterna rev.1 and my source is cowon S9 and i still EQ them to Mach3Bass-10 and add another 4db in the lowest range. As well I listen to them at quite high volumes usually anywhere in between 28-35 out of 40.
Any advice much appreciated :wink:

May 19, 2011 at 6:40 PM Post #4,107 of 29,490

Quote:
Does anyone have recommendations for which headphones sound most like 1) Westone 4 and 2) Shure SE535?

I own Shure SE530, and would say that HD600 have a fairly similar sound - very nice midrange, fairly mellow bass & treble.  The treble is a bit more extended on the HD600, which could make them more like SE535 from what I've read.

May 19, 2011 at 6:53 PM Post #4,108 of 29,490

Quote:
Currently I own a pair of Denon AH-D7000s hooked up to a Nuforce Icon HDP.  It's quite possibly the greatest setup I've heard, and I'm really happy with it.  But if I were to upgrade - I really probably won't, considering how happy I am with it right now - what would be the next logical step?  I hear tell that the He-500 is incredible for its price, but I don't want to end up spending limbs in finding a source.  What think ye, Head-fi?

I think HE-500 would be a perfect upgrade.  I had the HE-500 last week on a loaner program and was floored by their sound quality.  They roundly beat my D7000.  HE-500 do not have as powerful bass, but comparing the two headphones, the D7000 sounded like they emphasize the sub-bass and conceal the mids.  HE-500 go deep, but the full range of bass and mids are much more natural and integrated.  Likewise the treble seems a bit sharp on D7000 while it is smooth and easy on the ears on HE-500.  The biggest difference is the mids.  HE-500 have them in spades- rich, realistic and extremely satisfying.  They mated very well with my SS amp but not so well with my OTL tube amp, as the I found the HE-500's warmth a bit too emphasized with the tubes.  I can't tell you if they are your best option (people love LCD-2, which I haven't heard) but they are much better than D7000 to these ears. 

May 19, 2011 at 7:11 PM Post #4,109 of 29,490

What SS amps are you pairing the HE 500 with? Curious as mine should be here next week.

Quote:
I think HE-500 would be a perfect upgrade.  I had the HE-500 last week on a loaner program and was floored by their sound quality.  They roundly beat my D7000.  HE-500 do not have as powerful bass, but comparing the two headphones, the D7000 sounded like they emphasize the sub-bass and conceal the mids.  HE-500 go deep, but the full range of bass and mids are much more natural and integrated.  Likewise the treble seems a bit sharp on D7000 while it is smooth and easy on the ears on HE-500.  The biggest difference is the mids.  HE-500 have them in spades- rich, realistic and extremely satisfying.  They mated very well with my SS amp but not so well with my OTL tube amp, as the I found the HE-500's warmth a bit too emphasized with the tubes.  I can't tell you if they are your best option (people love LCD-2, which I haven't heard) but they are much better than D7000 to these ears. 

May 19, 2011 at 8:11 PM Post #4,110 of 29,490
I am interested in buying some new closed headphones for around $120 or less. I already own the Sennheiser HD212 and 238's. The 212's are ok but I don't really use them because I find them uncomfortable. I love my 238's and think they sound great but because they are open they are not ideal to listen to around others. The only amps that I own are the Fiio E5 and a bravo hybrid tube amp that I bought from ebay a while back. After researching a little, I think that I might go for the Audio Technica ATH A700's because I would like something with a decent soundstage. Also from what I've read it seems like they are fairly easy to drive. I will be mostly using them with my iPad and one of the two amps that I have. Does anyone have any other suggestions for a good closed headphone in this price range or is this my best bet?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back