++ FULL-SIZE HEADPHONE RECOMMENDATIONS THREAD++ CLOSED: Please post a thread in the Introductions, Help and Advice forum
Dec 30, 2010 at 1:49 AM Post #331 of 29,490
afinch, we were close to a discussion in another thread, but I guess this is a better thread to discuss it in.

I mostly listen to hip=hop/rap, older stuff if that matters. I'm really leaning towards the AKG K142HD and a FiiO E5 amp. I really want a pair of headphones that sound good, but also look good. I'm digging the AKG style. The only thing that bothers me is them being on-ear. Someone on another forum told me to watch out for that, so now I'm a little worried about getting them. Do on ear not produce the same quality of around ear headphones? Do they leak a lot more noise?

Thanks for the help guys.

Dec 30, 2010 at 1:51 AM Post #332 of 29,490

Quote:
I just reread your initial question Armaegis. I still think you need to spend time with the HD650. What music do you listen to?

I'm mostly a jazz/swing/big band guy (20-50's), though I like the RnB from the 60's ish as well. Toss in some classical, vocal jazz, instrumentals, some electronica/lo-fi, and the occasional rockout moments with Metallica and AC/DC for good measure. I'm a swing dancer as well, which is where all the swing/big band comes in, though you also have to toss in the salsa and Latin stuff, some tango, and a bit of twostep as well.

So yeah, I think I cover most bases
rolleyes.gif

Except for top40 stuff. Can you believe I've actually never heard a Justin Beiber or Ke$ha song? (I'm lucky, I know!)

Dec 30, 2010 at 1:59 AM Post #334 of 29,490

Quote:
Quote:
I just reread your initial question Armaegis. I still think you need to spend time with the HD650. What music do you listen to?

I'm mostly a jazz/swing/big band guy (20-50's), though I like the RnB from the 60's ish as well. Toss in some classical, vocal jazz, instrumentals, some electronica/lo-fi, and the occasional rockout moments with Metallica and AC/DC for good measure. I'm a swing dancer as well, which is where all the swing/big band comes in, though you also have to toss in the salsa and Latin stuff, some tango, and a bit of twostep as well.

So yeah, I think I cover most bases
rolleyes.gif

Except for top40 stuff. Can you believe I've actually never heard a Justin Beiber or Ke$ha song? (I'm lucky, I know!)

I've never heard a Justin Beiber song either. Ke$ha on the other hand... let's... ah.. just.. move on.
ph34r.gif

Dec 30, 2010 at 4:30 AM Post #335 of 29,490

Quote:
Quote:
Considering your budget I'd suggest you look at the Audio Technica ATH-M50. It's very well regarded around these parts and also great bang for buck. Just be warned though, it's a gateway drug into this stupid hobby.

Ok I will check them out , Just be warned though, it's a gateway drug into this stupid hobby.
HAHAHA I bet , its ok thought because me and him both had the same hobby of reef aquariums ! I used too spend so much money on rare corals. Now we both have no aquarium. my hobby now is dog shows which is expensive lol He needs a hobby since he is not into aquariums or his sneakers :wink:

We've got a 120 gallon Salt water tank out in our living room, Headphones are cheap in comparison to that thing.

Dec 30, 2010 at 5:28 AM Post #336 of 29,490
ok so i mentioned earlier in this thread that my budget was about $100 but then i stumbled upon some headphones that i really like, at least lookswise.    the ultrasone hfi 2200, are those decent headphones?  are there any headphones similar in style to those.

also, if i'm willing to spend a little extra on headphones like those...what are some similar priced headphones in that range i should also consider?

Dec 30, 2010 at 6:26 AM Post #338 of 29,490
Hi
IM an Ultra noob, born last week. I decided I wanted a pair of AROUND THE EAR headphones. My price range is up to 300 but since I'm new to audio hardware i'll take it easy. I want something that can be can be mobile with but with great sound. I listen to hip hop, techno, and epic movie soundtracks. My bro got me Beats solo HD for Christmass but I will probably end up taking them back. I was looking at Bose QC15 but I kinda wanted to see what else was out there besides the stuff they sold @ Bestbuy. Looking around this forum I hear alot of good things about ATH M50, ATH PRO700, HD595. Help?

Dec 30, 2010 at 9:52 AM Post #341 of 29,490

Quote:
I believe you've made a nice choice; between the two. I currently own the 240 MKII And it sound just about perfect for you! It has no extreme bass but enough bass to support songs. Though these are a little harder to drive than most headphones, I think you should be fine through a PS3. I'm not too sure about what you man by "reveal complex sound structures", but IMO, I think they are nicely detailed pair of headphones. Personally, I also watch movies with my MKII, And I believe they work very well for movies and gaming too. Plus they come with velour pads!!

I'm not to sure about the 142 though, as i don't own a pair, but i'm sure they are relatively similar.

Thank you for your reply. 

I went for the 240 but unfortunately the item could not be shipped where I live. Hence I had to go for another product but I remained in the AKG realm. 

And indeed, I decided to go for the AKG K242 HD. I believe it is a safe choice but, nonetheless, I would like to have your green light before to purchase it. 

Once again, I greatly thank you for your time and precious advice. 

[size=1.7em]  [/size]

Dec 30, 2010 at 1:30 PM Post #344 of 29,490

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Considering your budget I'd suggest you look at the Audio Technica ATH-M50. It's very well regarded around these parts and also great bang for buck. Just be warned though, it's a gateway drug into this stupid hobby.

Ok I will check them out , Just be warned though, it's a gateway drug into this stupid hobby.
HAHAHA I bet , its ok thought because me and him both had the same hobby of reef aquariums ! I used too spend so much money on rare corals. Now we both have no aquarium. my hobby now is dog shows which is expensive lol He needs a hobby since he is not into aquariums or his sneakers :wink:

We've got a 120 gallon Salt water tank out in our living room, Headphones are cheap in comparison to that thing.

I already know what you are going through that is a big tank. I only had nano's since I am in apt. My bf had bigger tanks at his house. Our last 2 aquariums where custom built by him they came out nice and was my favorite.

Quote:
Just a warning to people looking at the ATH-M50. Fakes for these are prevalent. Use common sense, save yourself some grief and purchase from an authorised dealer. It's not worth saving a few pennies when you hand over the cash for a fake.

thanks for this because I was about to buy some on ebay !  I think I will go with these , I read a lot of reviews last night on this forum everyone seems to love them.

Dec 30, 2010 at 1:51 PM Post #345 of 29,490

Quote:
ok so i mentioned earlier in this thread that my budget was about $100 but then i stumbled upon some headphones that i really like, at least lookswise.    the ultrasone hfi 2200, are those decent headphones?  are there any headphones similar in style to those.

also, if i'm willing to spend a little extra on headphones like those...what are some similar priced headphones in that range i should also consider?

Maybe give the DJ style cans a look? Here's a good starting point... http://www.skratchworx.com/reviews/headphones_2010.php

Quote:
please write about hd 600.
i read thread, but there is not enough important information ... so please write your opinion.

14 reviews on Head-Fi: http://www.head-fi.org/products/sennheiser-hd-650-headphones
75 reviews on Amazon: http://www.amazon.com/Sennheiser-HD-650-Lightweight-Audiophile/product-reviews/B00018MSNI/ref=dp_top_cm_cr_acr_txt?ie=UTF8&showViewpoints=1

Users who are viewing this thread

Back