++ FULL-SIZE HEADPHONE RECOMMENDATIONS THREAD++ CLOSED: Please post a thread in the Introductions, Help and Advice forum
May 6, 2012 at 1:36 PM Post #14,551 of 29,490
Quote:
I'm not sure if this is the right thread, but i've been looking at the Panasonic RP-HTF600-S since i've heard they're good budget cans, but at the same time i've heard they have an awful muddy, tinny sound too. Can someone tell me if it's worth getting?

I havn't heard very good things about them.I would go and get yourself some koss portapros for that price range.

May 6, 2012 at 1:40 PM Post #14,552 of 29,490
Quote:
I'm not sure if this is the right thread, but I've been looking at the Panasonic RP-HTF600-S since I've heard they're good budget cans, but at the same time I've heard they have an awful muddy sound too. Can someone tell me if it's worth getting?

I personally would not understand how anyone would call the Panasonic RP-HTF600-S muddy.
Get the Beyerdynamic EDT 200 Velour ear pads for them.
The HTF600 are a surprising good head headphone for the price.

May 6, 2012 at 2:19 PM Post #14,554 of 29,490
Quote:
Gonna ask again, are the AKG k550's good without an amp and on an ipad? (i don't really care much for size, just as long as i can carry them and they sound good, while also having enough NC to block out a decent amount of noise)

Rule no.1, which should be on the front page of this thread in big red fat letters. If your source is gonna be an ipod / iphone / whatever music player without an amp and DAC - don't spend more than 70-80 dollars on headphones, you're wasting your money.
K550 are serious headphones, if they were on the market 6-7 years ago they would have been considered one of the best high end headphones in the world, so, no, ipod won't do them justice, and they won't sound good. Or they will be "good", but no better than most 60-70$ headphones. Honestly, I have Samsung Galaxy S2 with a few kernel mods and apps. Galaxy S2 is has probably the best audio hardware of any smartphone on the market, and still, comparing it with my desktop sources, its silly. Headphones sound like they're broken out of it.

May 6, 2012 at 2:36 PM Post #14,555 of 29,490
Quote:
Hey all,  cutting to the chase:
 need super comfortable preferably shallow iems with fabric asymmetrical cable ("j-cord") below $80,bass punch and extension.Iphone controls welcome.
Should have some detail so i don't reach for my triple fi's too often

Now I realize that i can't satisfy all my needs in one iem bt maybe you could suggest something i have not already thought of.My candidates till now are:
1.Sony mdr ex 310 
2.A custom made cloth cable for triple fi's made asymmetrical  $90 (still triple fi's= uncomfortable for me) 
3.senns cx 300 with ip controls (no detail...)
4.x-ears td iii

p.s. I own and like the hippo vb's sond signature a lot -i'd like something like that only with a  j cord and not as long.

You need to post this in the Portable, Earphones EIM section of the forum.

May 6, 2012 at 3:03 PM Post #14,556 of 29,490
Quote:
I'm not sure if this is the right thread, but i've been looking at the Panasonic RP-HTF600-S since i've heard they're good budget cans, but at the same time i've heard they have an awful muddy, tinny sound too. Can someone tell me if it's worth getting?

I agree with purpleangel. I had these briefly just to try them out. I burned them in for about 40 hours and performed the paper towel mod. They were surprisingly good and didn't think they were muddy and I didn't think that they were tinny. They were not very detailed, and the bass is very big, so if you're not a basshead, then they probably won't suit you.

May 6, 2012 at 3:13 PM Post #14,557 of 29,490
Quote:

Rule no.1, which should be on the front page of this thread in big red fat letters. If your source is gonna be an ipod / iphone / whatever music player without an amp and DAC - don't spend more than 70-80 dollars on headphones, you're wasting your money.
K550 are serious headphones, if they were on the market 6-7 years ago they would have been considered one of the best high end headphones in the world, so, no, ipod won't do them justice, and they won't sound good. Or they will be "good", but no better than most 60-70$ headphones. Honestly, I have Samsung Galaxy S2 with a few kernel mods and apps. Galaxy S2 is has probably the best audio hardware of any smartphone on the market, and still, comparing it with my desktop sources, its silly. Headphones sound like they're broken out of it.

Then what about if paired with an e7 or e17?

May 6, 2012 at 11:23 PM Post #14,559 of 29,490
Quote:
Gonna ask again, are the AKG k550's good without an amp and on an ipad? (i don't really care much for size, just as long as i can carry them and they sound good, while also having enough NC to block out a decent amount of noise)

Quote:
Then what about if paired with an e7 or e17?

All headphones sound good.. But they will definitely sound better with an amp!

I suggest you take the E17, it has the features of the E10 and the functionality of the E7. FiiO E17 - DAC & AMP, everything that you need in one portable device.

p.s. I've ordered a AKG K550 and FiiO E17 here at our local shop just now. :wink:

May 7, 2012 at 2:28 AM Post #14,560 of 29,490
I've been eyeing the brainwavz hm5 and the Hifiman HE-400....lol price range is not comparable, but I still want to see opinions of my next purchase. (trying to look for a overall "work" headphone)

May 7, 2012 at 2:43 AM Post #14,561 of 29,490
Hey guys!

I've been lurking around for a while, and got my M50's after reading reviews and listening to them.

It's been 2 years now, and upgraditis has kicked in - would love to get recommendations from you all.

Music Genre: Trance (House, Progressive, Uplifting, no dubstep), Rock, Pop, Jazz, Blues, Classical (Stravinsky, Beethoven, Mozart), some
                     metal, epic music(soundtracks, movie trailer music), some hip-hop & rap.
Source: On-board sound card & no DAC/amp yet (intending to get CEntrance DACport soon)

Looking for:
  1. Closed headphones with good isolation due to ambient noise 
  2. Neutral Presentation, better soundstage & imaging (Less muddy bass, better mid-range, slightly less harsh highs)
  3. Up to 350USD
  4. Used for music, movies, gaming - occasional recording
  5. Need not be portable

Thanks in advance!

May 7, 2012 at 2:46 AM Post #14,562 of 29,490
May 7, 2012 at 3:08 AM Post #14,563 of 29,490
May 7, 2012 at 3:46 AM Post #14,564 of 29,490
Quote:
Hey guys!

I've been lurking around for a while, and got my M50's after reading reviews and listening to them.

It's been 2 years now, and upgraditis has kicked in - would love to get recommendations from you all.

Music Genre: Trance (House, Progressive, Uplifting, no dubstep), Rock, Pop, Jazz, Blues, Classical (Stravinsky, Beethoven, Mozart), some
                     metal, epic music(soundtracks, movie trailer music), some hip-hop & rap.
Source: On-board sound card & no DAC/amp yet (intending to get CEntrance DACport soon)

Looking for:
  1. Closed headphones with good isolation due to ambient noise 
  2. Neutral Presentation, better soundstage & imaging (Less muddy bass, better mid-range, slightly less harsh highs)
  3. Up to 350USD
  4. Used for music, movies, gaming - occasional recording
  5. Need not be portable

Thanks in advance!

Many folk here like the AKG K 550, but I have not heard them yet.

The Ultrasone Pro 750 are good, but the highs may be too bright for you.

The Shure SRH 940 are also good, but may be a bit bass light for you.

The Denon D5000 are probably out of your price range

Users who are viewing this thread

Back