++ FULL-SIZE HEADPHONE RECOMMENDATIONS THREAD++ CLOSED: Please post a thread in the Introductions, Help and Advice forum
May 3, 2012 at 8:22 PM Post #14,491 of 29,490
New guy here. I used to be into car audio pretty heavily but, I had to leave the hobby. I have been dying for some proper sounds and since a home rig is out of the question that leaves head-fi. When finances permit I plan on getting a proper full size headphone setup. For now I have a pair of Senheiser IE6's and a new iPad. Problem is I am not getting enough volume to my liking. I think the Sen's have a little more to give without bottoming out.

So my question is, will something like the Fiio E11 give my say 25% more volume? I'm just looking for something to get me by until I get get some real cans and amplification without wasting too much cash.

Thanks in advance

May 3, 2012 at 8:57 PM Post #14,492 of 29,490
Quote:

I have the Alessandro MS1, but the comfort issues are too big of a turn-off, personally, in comparison to the D2000 at least. The higher end models don't really improve upon this, do they?

The 325 & MS 2 have different ear cups than the MS1.  I find them to be comfortable, but I know of folks who don't.

May 3, 2012 at 9:02 PM Post #14,493 of 29,490
Quote:
For Movies I reccommend the beyerdynamic dt770', They are on the bass heavey side but have a great soundstage for a closed can. For listening to music I'll reccomend the Shure srh 840, these outclass the m50's in pretty much every way except for looks. But  overall I think you should go with the Shure's cause the soundstage isn't half bad for being closed, but not as good as the dt770's.

I'll add the Ultrasone Pro 750.  You may also want to consider an amp and/or amp/dac, depending on the source for your music.  Fiio and few others are good and affordable.

May 3, 2012 at 9:25 PM Post #14,494 of 29,490
Quote:

I'll add the Ultrasone Pro 750.  You may also want to consider an amp and/or amp/dac, depending on the source for your music.  Fiio and few others are good and affordable.

I would've reccommended the pro 750, it's a great can, but I think it's somethin like 240 dollars plus the cheapest fiio is 30 dollars. So, he will be spending 70 dollars more than he  wants too.

May 4, 2012 at 3:50 AM Post #14,496 of 29,490
Hi guys, I'm going to get my first pair of headphones, and I'm going to need some help choosing them.

I have an $80 budget, and I'm going to be using them for music, gaming, movies, and general use.
I'm going to be using them mostly with my laptop at home, and maybe some mobile use on my android phone.
I listen to all types of music, but mostly listen to Classical, Jazz, Rock, Metal, and Drum and Bass.

I also want the headphones to have good bass, but not overwhelming.

I'd prefer closed headphones, but am willing to try open headphones.

I've checked the headphone buying guides, but I don't know what to choose.

Also, my laptop's sound card is broken, so I'm going to have to get a DAC and I'm considering a FiiO E10, or can I get anything better for $75?

May 4, 2012 at 4:19 AM Post #14,497 of 29,490
/\@BHH  Good balanced under $100 cans that don't require an amp (the guides reference this), include the CAL!,  KRK KNS6400 Studio Headphones, Superlux HD668B Dynamic Semi-Open Headphones, AKG Acoustics K-240 Semi Open Studio Headphones and Samson SR850 Semi-Open Studio Reference Headphones.

Here's an Amazon link to the KRK that brings them within you budget:

http://www.amazon.com/Package-Professional-Headphones-High-efficiency-Integrated/dp/B0053ECILW/ref=wl_it_dp_o_pC_S?ie=UTF8&coliid=I1C5OQANL5XOIR&colid=3TMR6IEFCG0JX

If you don't want sound to leak while your using them, chose a closed headphone.

May 4, 2012 at 10:24 AM Post #14,499 of 29,490
First post. I'm looking for a decent pair of headphone so would appreciate any recommendation. Budget around $250. Will be using for hd movies and good quality music (rock, country, clasical). I will be using them with a yamaha receiver (rxv 1700) for silent cinema for movies. Am willing to get a dedicated amp if needed. Cheers

May 4, 2012 at 11:37 AM Post #14,500 of 29,490
Hello guys, what's up..

After reading a lot about Senn's HD 598, AKG K550 & Q701, Audio Technica M50 and PRO 700, I am pretty much sold out to buying the AKG K550. The reason is, they seem a very good all rounder. I've read the entire AKG 550 thread, read the review of http://www.head-fi.org/t/588230/akg-k550-vs-some-others-denon-d2000-akg-k271-ultrasone-edition-8-shure-940-shure-840-beyer-dt770 CantScareMe, and watched the review of Tyll from inner fidelity.

Many say that they lack bass, sometimes their mids sound thin, and other negative comments.. Though I think such things will be easily compensated by a good amp/dac, right? Because I'm also planning to get a FiiO E17 along with the headphones.

Having that said, the total price of that here in our country would be $488 (AKG K550 = $348    FiiO E17 = $139). Do you think it's a good deal over all, a good investment of money? The AKG k550, the E17.. Or should I get a less expensive FiiO amp/dac? And perhaps another headphone in that price range?

I'm also thinking of buying from ebay/amazon.. but I'm worrying about unluckily getting defective/fake ones..

The shop I'm checking out is this: https://www.facebook.com/gogadgets  you can see their products in different photo albums..

_____

Will await replies, hoping to own some cool hi fi cans before school days.. Thanks! :)

May 4, 2012 at 12:45 PM Post #14,501 of 29,490
I need a recommendation.

I like the sound of my V-Moda M-80s, but I find them uncomfortable after about an hour and they leak too much. I want new headphones to use exclusively at my desk with a budget of $200. I don't care about portability.

Here are my other requirements:
  • Sound similar to the M80s, or good for gaming, indie, and alt rock.
  • Closed. They must isolate very well.
  • Very comfortable for prolonged listening. I think that might limit me to circumaural, and I'm ok with that.
  • I would prefer to not need an amp, just from an expense standpoint.

Thanks!

May 4, 2012 at 2:19 PM Post #14,502 of 29,490
Quote:
First post. I'm looking for a decent pair of headphone so would appreciate any recommendation. Budget around $250. Will be using for hd movies and good quality music (rock, country, clasical). I will be using them with a yamaha receiver (rxv 1700) for silent cinema for movies. Am willing to get a dedicated amp if needed. Cheers

AKG Q 701, Senn HD 598 or Ultrasone Pro 750.

The first two are open.  The third is closed.

May 4, 2012 at 2:22 PM Post #14,503 of 29,490
Quote:
Hello guys, what's up..

After reading a lot about Senn's HD 598, AKG K550 & Q701, Audio Technica M50 and PRO 700, I am pretty much sold out to buying the AKG K550. The reason is, they seem a very good all rounder. I've read the entire AKG 550 thread, read the review of http://www.head-fi.org/t/588230/akg-k550-vs-some-others-denon-d2000-akg-k271-ultrasone-edition-8-shure-940-shure-840-beyer-dt770 CantScareMe, and watched the review of Tyll from inner fidelity.

Many say that they lack bass, sometimes their mids sound thin, and other negative comments.. Though I think such things will be easily compensated by a good amp/dac, right? Because I'm also planning to get a FiiO E17 along with the headphones.

Having that said, the total price of that here in our country would be $488 (AKG K550 = $348    FiiO E17 = $139). Do you think it's a good deal over all, a good investment of money? The AKG k550, the E17.. Or should I get a less expensive FiiO amp/dac? And perhaps another headphone in that price range?

I'm also thinking of buying from ebay/amazon.. but I'm worrying about unluckily getting defective/fake ones..

The shop I'm checking out is this: https://www.facebook.com/gogadgets  you can see their products in different photo albums..

_____

Will await replies, hoping to own some cool hi fi cans before school days.. Thanks! :)

If open cans will work for you, I'm not I understand why you would go for the K 550 over the Q 701.  In addition the Q costs less--at least in the U.S. and has two detachable cords compared to one fixed for the 550.

May 4, 2012 at 2:32 PM Post #14,504 of 29,490
Hi, I really don't know anything about what's good, only that marketed crap is bad.

I'm looking for over-ear headphones to use at home simply to listen to music, nothing else.

Atm I have Sony MDR-XD200 stereo headphones, and have been using them A LOT since the beginning of this year. I feel like I'm ready to get my next set of headphones so I can really appreciate them and compare them to these Sony ones.

I'm looking to spend 200-300$, can you guys point me in the right direction?

Recall: I'm not looking to produce music, simply wanting to listen to it.

Edit: Also, idk if this means anything, but when listening to music I simply plug my headphones into my computer.

And the type of music I listen to... mostly rock (RHCP), sometimes more dubsteppy (I don't know the specific names to classify this kind of music, just got into an artist called "Blackmill" though)

Edit2: What's the difference between open and closed headphones? Open simply needs an amp? Should I just get closed though, or is it worth it?

May 4, 2012 at 2:35 PM Post #14,505 of 29,490
Quote:
I need a recommendation.

I like the sound of my V-Moda M-80s, but I find them uncomfortable after about an hour and they leak too much. I want new headphones to use exclusively at my desk with a budget of $200. I don't care about portability.

Here are my other requirements:
  • Sound similar to the M80s, or good for gaming, indie, and alt rock.
  • Closed. They must isolate very well.
  • Very comfortable for prolonged listening. I think that might limit me to circumaural, and I'm ok with that.
  • I would prefer to not need an amp, just from an expense standpoint.

Thanks!

Consider the KRK KNS8400 Studio Headphones, AT M50 (bassy with "V" shaped EQ) or Shure SRH 840 (note: some have found these to be uncomfortablein extensive listening sessions).

Your options greatly expand if you amp them.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back