++ FULL-SIZE HEADPHONE RECOMMENDATIONS THREAD++ CLOSED: Please post a thread in the Introductions, Help and Advice forum
Feb 21, 2012 at 4:52 AM Post #12,301 of 29,490

Quote:
Hello all, 

I picked up the Shure SRH840s and am finding them sort of uncomfortable. Tight around the ears. Is some time needed to break them in? Or should I go for something like the Beyerdynamic DT250s? I don't want the bass of the DT770s....

Thanks!

Maybe the Brainwavz HM5 will be a comfortable alternative with a similar sound. The beyers will probably be just as uncomfortable.

Quote:
This may not be the best place to ask, but does anyone know if the Beyer DT150 headphones come with a 3.5mm jack + 6.25mm adapter or just a 6.25mm jack? I've seen conflicting evidence of each.

If just a 6.25mm, does anyone know where I can get an adapter to 3.5mm in the UK without importing one?

No clue about the DT150s specifically, but you should be able to find those adapters pretty much at any audio or electronics store.

Feb 21, 2012 at 5:53 AM Post #12,302 of 29,490

Quote:
No clue about the DT150s specifically, but you should be able to find those adapters pretty much at any audio or electronics store.

I can't seem to find anything but sellers in hong kong/china with this, which according to the description is only mono:

As well as a couple of ones without the gold finish which are definitely mono and seem designed for electric guitars and the like

I guess I'll just wait and see when they arrive :)

Feb 21, 2012 at 7:49 AM Post #12,303 of 29,490
Hello again guys,

I've got interest in these ones

Audio Technica ATH-A700 "import"

But... Is there an Audio-Technica sound signature?

I've owned the M-50 and I did NOT like them at all. too bassy, slow and coloured.

Are these ones much different?

thanks a lot

Feb 21, 2012 at 8:48 AM Post #12,304 of 29,490
hi I'm new to the site and saw this thread so I would like to ask for some help. I am looking for a headphone about 150 to 200 dollars. I am looking at the audio technica ath pro700mk2, v moda crossfade lp, skullcandy aviator. Best between the three and any other recommendation?

Feb 21, 2012 at 1:20 PM Post #12,305 of 29,490
Thanks for those who offered me CAL!

those are very interesting, read several reviews, and CAL! is recommended for overall-home usage: movies, music. it has great bass (i found someone said it's better than M50's bass) pretty-balanced mids and nice highs. build quality isn't the best because it's made of plastic, but it's pretty well built, but built quality isn't that important to me because i will use them only in home. so it seems CAL! is best choice for me.. but wait, i haven't found info anywhere about how do they perform in games! since i'm gonna play some games, so i want to ask - how about their soundstage? and 1 more thing, i know all headphones with "gaming" sign on it is overpriced, but i want to ask about steelseries siberia, or 5h. (they're very advertised where i live, a lot of ppl have them) do they really sound bad?

Feb 21, 2012 at 2:22 PM Post #12,306 of 29,490

Quote:
Thanks for those who offered me CAL!

those are very interesting, read several reviews, and CAL! is recommended for overall-home usage: movies, music. it has great bass (i found someone said it's better than M50's bass) pretty-balanced mids and nice highs. build quality isn't the best because it's made of plastic, but it's pretty well built, but built quality isn't that important to me because i will use them only in home. so it seems CAL! is best choice for me.. but wait, i haven't found info anywhere about how do they perform in games! since i'm gonna play some games, so i want to ask - how about their soundstage? and 1 more thing, i know all headphones with "gaming" sign on it is overpriced, but i want to ask about steelseries siberia, or 5h. (they're very advertised where i live, a lot of ppl have them) do they really sound bad?

Take a look in the first post in this thread if you need some confirmation about the CAL's for gaming.  They are actually rated fairly highly for this purpose. 

Feb 21, 2012 at 2:59 PM Post #12,307 of 29,490
In general, how is the Pioneer sound?  Are there headphones comparable to Sennheiser and Audio-Technica or are they more like a Skullcandy and Monster?  I'm looking at the Pioneer HDJ-500, but I'm not sure if they'll be good for my taste in music.  I can't seem to find any reviews on them..  I listen to a lot of rock, jrock, metal, and pop. 

If not, could anyone recommend me a pair of headphones that could work with my kind of music?  The only thing I really ask for is a detachable cable and perhaps a folding design.  My budget is around 300$.  Thank you =)

Feb 21, 2012 at 3:09 PM Post #12,308 of 29,490
Hey I'm looking at the Cal!s (Creative Aurvana Live!). I have heard that these are pretty much the same as the D1100's, but cheaper. If anyone has the Cal!'s please tell me if they are any good and if not I am looking for a decent pair of portable, closed cans that are preferably less than $100 because I am a little tight on cash right now. Because I will be taking these EVERYWHERE, a folding design would be nice. Thanks guys.

Feb 21, 2012 at 3:22 PM Post #12,309 of 29,490

Quote:

I can't seem to find anything but sellers in hong kong/china with this, which according to the description is only mono:

As well as a couple of ones without the gold finish which are definitely mono and seem designed for electric guitars and the like

I guess I'll just wait and see when they arrive :)

Well that picture definitely shows a stereo plug, but they could have just pulled up a random adapter. I don't see why you ca't just drive over to your local electronics store and buy one there. I guarantee you they will have it, since it's such a common piece of equipment.

Quote:
Hello again guys,

I've got interest in these ones

Audio Technica ATH-A700 "import"

But... Is there an Audio-Technica sound signature?

I've owned the M-50 and I did NOT like them at all. too bassy, slow and coloured.

Are these ones much different?

thanks a lot

From what I've read, it seems like A-T has a certain signature for its non-DJ over-ear cans, that's distinct from the M50 and portable sound. I don't know a lot about the A700s, however. I think they'll tend towards balanced and have a better soundstage, however.

Quote:
hi I'm new to the site and saw this thread so I would like to ask for some help. I am looking for a headphone about 150 to 200 dollars. I am looking at the audio technica ath pro700mk2, v moda crossfade lp, skullcandy aviator. Best between the three and any other recommendation?

I'd say the PRO700mk2s might be the best out of those 3, but there are a lot of other choices at that price range. I could list them all, but it would go a lot faster if you could tell me your preferred music genres, sound signature, and usage scenarios. i.e. what music you listen to, what kind of sound you like, and where/when you'll be using them.

Feb 21, 2012 at 3:48 PM Post #12,310 of 29,490
Looking between these V-moda M-80 or cross fade, Denon 2000 Beyerdynamics T50P.
Not too many people on hear listen to hiphop but that's what I need them for. I have a pair of beats and Panny RP-HTF600. I like my P 600 but I think I am ready for something else. I would like nece deep bass. Nice mids that are not hidden by hard hitting bass and high that are non fatiguing. Thanks for you help.

Feb 21, 2012 at 3:56 PM Post #12,311 of 29,490

Quote:
In general, how is the Pioneer sound?  Are there headphones comparable to Sennheiser and Audio-Technica or are they more like a Skullcandy and Monster?  I'm looking at the Pioneer HDJ-500, but I'm not sure if they'll be good for my taste in music.  I can't seem to find any reviews on them..  I listen to a lot of rock, jrock, metal, and pop. 

If not, could anyone recommend me a pair of headphones that could work with my kind of music?  The only thing I really ask for is a detachable cable and perhaps a folding design.  My budget is around 300$.  Thank you =)

The pioneers are pretty well-respected DJ cans, but aside from that I don't really know how they compare to brands like sennheiser or AT. The Pioneers seem to fit your requirements pretty well, but also consider the Shure DJ750, V-Moda M80, and HD25-1.

Quote:
Hey I'm looking at the Cal!s (Creative Aurvana Live!). I have heard that these are pretty much the same as the D1100's, but cheaper. If anyone has the Cal!'s please tell me if they are any good and if not I am looking for a decent pair of portable, closed cans that are preferably less than $100 because I am a little tight on cash right now. Because I will be taking these EVERYWHERE, a folding design would be nice. Thanks guys.

The CAL!s are pretty well-respected around here as a very solid pair of sub-$100 cans. Though they are fairly portable, they don't fold up as far as I know. Another pair to check out would be the Koss DJ100, which also have a reputation as a solid budget headphone.

Feb 21, 2012 at 3:57 PM Post #12,312 of 29,490

Quote:
Looking between these V-moda M-80 or cross fade, Denon 2000 Beyerdynamics T50P.
Not too many people on hear listen to hiphop but that's what I need them for. I have a pair of beats and Panny RP-HTF600. I like my P 600 but I think I am ready for something else. I would like nece deep bass. Nice mids that are not hidden by hard hitting bass and high that are non fatiguing. Thanks for you help.

The D2000s will be your best bet for that deep and hard-hitting bass, though I would go with the M80s, Crossfade LP2s, or Ultrasone HFI580s if you're looking for portability.

Feb 21, 2012 at 4:36 PM Post #12,313 of 29,490

Greetings all.  Been lurking on here for a while gathering information and now I think I've reached an impasse so I'm breaking the silence and making a first post in this thread.

I'm looking to get a nicer pair of headphones for home listening,  I've recently managed to get my hands on a Schiit Valhalla, so I'm not worried about not being able to power whatever I throw at it (not like I'm getting electrostats, after all).  My initial reasoning was that since I'm getting these for home use and I want the best sound possible, I'll go for full-size open cans.  I ended up looking at the Senn 5xx series.  Then due to some generosity on behalf of my family, my budget increased a bit.  After the dust settled, I found myself within striking range of the hd650s...well used, at least.  I decided to treat the 650s as the upper limit to what I'd be willing to drop on the 'phones.

Fast forward a couple of weeks and much much research on Head-Fi and all over the internet.  I've come to realize that as fantastic as it would be to get a high-class can like the hd650s, something closed and portable like the Beyer dt1350s or the V-Moda M-80s would also be a solid performer at a fraction of the cost and allow me to take them with me down the road when I start doing a lot more coding in public places (comp sci major and all).

That was just to set up the scene, sorry for the wall of text, but here's the TLDR:

I went from having my heart set on Senn HD650s to deliberating on whether I should get a really nice closed portable set instead for future travel listening.  If I get the Senns now, I can always get a portable set of cans later, but since I really just want 'phones I can listen to and enjoy at home right now, will the improvement in sound quality and overall listening performance of the HD650 (or HFM HE-400s that I've been hearing so much about) compared to say the DT1350 or M-80 be marked enough (using a Schiit Valhalla) that it is justifiable for me to get those open cans now knowing I'll need a closed pair later?

I know I'm no music major or sound engineer, but I love music with a passion and I just want to be able to enjoy all its nuances as much as possible.  I'm not asking for any research as I've done that myself and I don't want to be that guy.  I'm just hoping anyone with more experience can toss me some opinions or other viewpoints on this.

Many thanks and cheers!

Feb 21, 2012 at 4:45 PM Post #12,314 of 29,490
so i read CAL is really good in games compared to other closed headphones, and i don't find any aspect where CAL is bad :D (except build quality) so cal is 1 of the best in <100$ for beginner-audiophiles :p ? i'm gonna buy CAL, 

BIG THANK YOU for all who helped me :)

Feb 21, 2012 at 4:57 PM Post #12,315 of 29,490

Quote:
so i read CAL is really good in games compared to other closed headphones, and i don't find any aspect where CAL is bad :D (except build quality) so cal is 1 of the best in <100$ for beginner-audiophiles :p ? i'm gonna buy CAL, 

BIG THANK YOU for all who helped me :)

Be sure to report back once you get them on how they are working out for you thinking of getting these for my Son for his PC Music/Gaming.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back