++ FULL-SIZE HEADPHONE RECOMMENDATIONS THREAD++ CLOSED: Please post a thread in the Introductions, Help and Advice forum
Feb 16, 2012 at 11:35 PM Post #12,181 of 29,490

Quote:

Hey guys! 

So i'm new to the forums and i heard that this was a good place to get advice on what kind of headphones are great for the price. So ill simply start off with some of the music i like to listen to.

Dubstep
HipHop
Techno
Rock
Some Rap

So pretty much a mix of a whole bunch of things. I like headphones that are nicely balanced between the mids highs and bass. but i would like a little more bass but not fake sounding (like SkullCandy's). Now i was considering buying aerial 7's but then just read that they were complete poop. Style doesn't matter ill be using them for home use. Preferably headphones where people cant hear the music i'm listening to.. if that is possible. I was looking at some sound canceling sony headphones, They were 79.99 which seemed like a good price. I'm looking for some headphones that range from 75-200$.

Thanks in Advance.

First, don't get noise cancelling, as you pay a premium for that feature, and you won't need it, especially if it's just for home use. Some good choices in your price range are the Ultrasone HFI580/780s, Denon D1100s, M50s, Senn HD25-1s, and V-Moda M80s/LP2s. Given your music, I assume you want some bass emphasis, but the question then is how much? Some of these are notorious basshead cans, while others might be more balanced.

Feb 16, 2012 at 11:57 PM Post #12,182 of 29,490
im not a huge bass junky but i like a good balance with the hughs and mids etc. im also looking fir a place where they sell them localy i dont wish to order them. im incanada ontario so somethings like best buy futureshop or maybe other places. thanks

Feb 17, 2012 at 12:03 AM Post #12,183 of 29,490

Quote:
im not a huge bass junky but i like a good balance with the hughs and mids etc. im also looking fir a place where they sell them localy i dont wish to order them. im incanada ontario so somethings like best buy futureshop or maybe other places. thanks

The HFI780s, M50s, HD25-1s, and M80s will be more balanced, while still retaining a v-curve for "fun" listening. Buying locally limits your choices a lot, as most retail stores don't have very good headphones...

Feb 17, 2012 at 12:05 AM Post #12,184 of 29,490
Hello Head-Fi,

So I've begun to get the itch for a new set of cans. I've owned my Sennheiser HD555s for a couple years now. They are my go to headphones for desktop listening, and I greatly enjoy everything about them. I own Shure Se-110s for portable listening and I also enjoy their sound. While I've been satisfied with these, I'm looking to move forward with another pair of full sized headphones.

I listen to mostly jazz, funk, and blues. I run the sennheisers off the same HK 3490 amplifier that power my Wharfedale Evo2-10s. I'm also a big PC gamer and use the headphones for gaming, but music is the primary concern.

Where do you suggest I go from the HD555s? I'd like to stay under $200 as I'm a college student on somewhat of a budget.

I owned a pair of Bose QC15s (employee discount, have no fear) and I did not like them at all. Returned them within 2 weeks, just to give you an idea of the sound I'm not looking for.
wink.gif
Thanks!

Feb 17, 2012 at 12:34 AM Post #12,186 of 29,490

Quote:
I have $400 and i'll be using my headphones for 70% music, (with my macbook with an E5 MAX) i listen to Prodigy, Black Sabbath, Green Day, and well, you get the drift. I'm fine with earphones or headphones, however i do prefer headphones (no on-ear). The 2 i have narrowed down to are The Beyerdynamic DT990-32, and the Sennheiser IE8, (yes, i like bass). Now the only reason i'm considering a headphones $130 cheaper (Amazon) is because i have a feeling that earphones tend be more expensive than headphones that sound as good, for the simply reason that it is expensive to micro-size everything. Another thing is that i don't like the hassle of putting the earphones on and stuff, as i'm really impatient. (And then i can't prove to my Beats-worshipping friends that Beats suck 
tongue.gif
) Also, i will end up getting the Beyer's much quicker (if i choose them) cause i'll have to save up less, and that is quite a big plus for me, cause as i said, i'm impatient. So, could you please suggest which one of these, or any other headphones/earphones? I would love to buy HD650's as the Sen service network is really prominent in India but i won't buy an amp so 
i cannot buy the 650's. 
I'm currently using the Sen HD555's, i love them, however they are quite bass light. Also, how much of an improvement would DT990's be over them? (please don't exaggerate) And, last question, what's a fair price for the DT990's, ( i can only get them online cause i'll have them shipped to a friend who'll bring them here whereas the IE8's are available in India for a fair price) 
And before you start coaxing me into buying an amp, let me just tell you, i am 13, i'll be saving up for around 6 months, (and i'lll also have to get awesome grades) So, i cannot ask my dad for an amp as he would think i am insane. Please give me your suggestions, mainly cause i CANNOT try out these. (The only headphones i CAN try out are Beat's Pro's 
angry_face.gif

Actually, IEMs max out much earlier in terms of price. You can spend $400 on headphones but I feel IEMs will deliver more bang for the buck. If you're planning to use them outdoors, then definitely have to go for IEMs. There you go, Senn IE8 it is.

Feb 17, 2012 at 1:05 AM Post #12,187 of 29,490
Have 130-170$, looking for comfortable open headphones with decent bass for all kinds of music & gaming. Will run them through Xonar DG.

Have my eyes on Sennheiser 518 \ 558 \ 598 but they are expensive at the moment.

Curious about Fischer Audio FA-011 but they are 160ohms and I don't know whether my Xonar DG will give them the power they need and whether they are as comfortable as Sennheiser.

Suggestions welcome.

Feb 17, 2012 at 1:11 AM Post #12,188 of 29,490
Hello! New head-fi forum member here.

I was deciding whether or not to get the Audio-Technica ATH-M50. I know, I know. You've heard this one before. But before you castrate me, my budget is actually just below $300. So should I get the ATs and perhaps an amp (or not), or should go the extra mile and get a good pair of Grado's or Sennheisers? What would you recommend? My initial thought were the AKG701s, but I've heard they're uncomfortable, kinda cheap and too warm.. What do?

If it helps, I currently use in-ear monitors (UE-TF10) which I love and my function is alternative rock and electronic music production.

Feb 17, 2012 at 1:25 AM Post #12,189 of 29,490

Quote:

I was deciding whether or not to get the Audio-Technica ATH-M50. I know, I know. You've heard this one before. But before you castrate me, my budget is actually just below $300. So should I get the ATs and perhaps an amp (or not), or should go the extra mile and get a good pair of Grado's or Sennheisers? What would you recommend? My initial thought were the AKG701s, but I've heard they're uncomfortable, kinda cheap and too warm.. What do?

If it helps, I currently use in-ear monitors (UE-TF10) which I love and my function is alternative rock and electronic music production.

A great deal depends on what you like (I'm not familiar with your in-ear monitors).  I would not go to Grados if comfort is important.  l like the M50, but would select any of Senn HD 5x8 phones over it. 

The AKG Q 701 is comfortable for me.  It has great details, but is a tad bass light.

The Byerdynamic DT 770 Pro has stronger bass and is significantly brighter than the AKG.  Their DT 880 Pro is supposed to be even better.

The Denon AHD 2000 probably gets more love and less "hate" than any other phones in the price class

Feb 17, 2012 at 1:43 AM Post #12,190 of 29,490

Quote:
Hello Head-Fi,

So I've begun to get the itch for a new set of cans. I've owned my Sennheiser HD555s for a couple years now. They are my go to headphones for desktop listening, and I greatly enjoy everything about them. I own Shure Se-110s for portable listening and I also enjoy their sound. While I've been satisfied with these, I'm looking to move forward with another pair of full sized headphones.

I listen to mostly jazz, funk, and blues. I run the sennheisers off the same HK 3490 amplifier that power my Wharfedale Evo2-10s. I'm also a big PC gamer and use the headphones for gaming, but music is the primary concern.

Where do you suggest I go from the HD555s? I'd like to stay under $200 as I'm a college student on somewhat of a budget.

I owned a pair of Bose QC15s (employee discount, have no fear) and I did not like them at all. Returned them within 2 weeks, just to give you an idea of the sound I'm not looking for.
wink.gif
Thanks!

I think the HD558/598 would be a logical upgrade for you. I don't know specifically how they sound for your genres, but they're good all-around.

Quote:
is there any sites you can recomend to buy the m50's because i hear that name on here alot

PM'd

Quote:
Have 130-170$, looking for comfortable open headphones with decent bass for all kinds of music & gaming. Will run them through Xonar DG.

Have my eyes on Sennheiser 518 \ 558 \ 598 but they are expensive at the moment.

Curious about Fischer Audio FA-011 but they are 160ohms and I don't know whether my Xonar DG will give them the power they need and whether they are as comfortable as Sennheiser.

Suggestions welcome.

The 558s are almost in your range, and I think would fit you well. There's probably some deal out there on them, so go check the deals thread.

Quote:

Well, are you going to be using them in public or exclusively at home? If you're going outside, open can's won't work, because they allow all the sound in, which will interfere with your music listening. Also, stuff like the Q701s will require an amp, so take that cost into consideration. For closed, you might be able to do a bit better for $300, but a lot depends on preferred sound signatures and form factors. The M50s will sound very different and fit very different than the Q701s for example. For closed portables, the M50s, HFi780s, M80s, HM5s, SRH940s, and HD25-1s are all options, but sound very different from one another. For open, you have the Q701s, HD598s, DT880s, and maybe the HD600s, but all these will want amps. 
If you want anything more specific, we need to know what music you listen to, what sound signature you like, and where/when you'll be using them

Feb 17, 2012 at 1:44 AM Post #12,191 of 29,490
Could anyone recommend me a good pair of cans for around $200? I like listening to classic rock in FLAC, and I would prefer if I could run them un-amped until I can get an amp. I want something that's analytical and balanced. Thanks!

Feb 17, 2012 at 1:58 AM Post #12,192 of 29,490
Could anyone recommend me a good pair of cans for around $200? I like listening to classic rock in FLAC, and I would prefer if I could run them un-amped until I can get an amp. I want something that's analytical and balanced. Thanks!

Closed or open?

Feb 17, 2012 at 2:00 AM Post #12,193 of 29,490

Quote:
A great deal depends on what you like (I'm not familiar with your in-ear monitors).  I would not go to Grados if comfort is important.  l like the M50, but would select any of Senn HD 5x8 phones over it. 

The AKG Q 701 is comfortable for me.  It has great details, but is a tad bass light.

The Byerdynamic DT 770 Pro has stronger bass and is significantly brighter than the AKG.  Their DT 880 Pro is supposed to be even better.

The Denon AHD 2000 probably gets more love and less "hate" than any other phones in the price class

Awesome thanks KG Jag!

Comfort really a secondary priority to sound. I work on music for about 4-5 hours at a time and my very old Sennheisers HD 202 were sort of uncomfortable after about 3 hours of use. Too much pressure. Then again, perhaps I just need to take a break now and then. 

So to recap, I'm putting sound as my #1 priority. I can sacrifice comfort and I sure don't care about looks. Which model (out of the ones you've tried) would you say is the flattest and the most detailed? (Sorry for defining ideal headphones haha)

Quote:
I think the HD558/598 would be a logical upgrade for you. I don't know specifically how they sound for your genres, but they're good all-around.

PM'd

The 558s are almost in your range, and I think would fit you well. There's probably some deal out there on them, so go check the deals thread.

Well, are you going to be using them in public or exclusively at home? If you're going outside, open can's won't work, because they allow all the sound in, which will interfere with your music listening. Also, stuff like the Q701s will require an amp, so take that cost into consideration. For closed, you might be able to do a bit better for $300, but a lot depends on preferred sound signatures and form factors. The M50s will sound very different and fit very different than the Q701s for example. For closed portables, the M50s, HFi780s, M80s, HM5s, SRH940s, and HD25-1s are all options, but sound very different from one another. For open, you have the Q701s, HD598s, DT880s, and maybe the HD600s, but all these will want amps. 
If you want anything more specific, we need to know what music you listen to, what sound signature you like, and where/when you'll be using them

Thanks ...50an6xy06r6n!

Exclusively indoors. I'm terrified of using any portable sound system over $100 outdoors.. I've thought of open, but I'd prefer passive sound-canceling closed headphones. How do the M50s sound very different than the Q701? I've also looked at the HD600s, but KG Jag recommended the DT880s and the price point sounds good. I listen to quite a bit of alternative music (Radiohead, Mars Volta, Bjork, Elbow, Mew, Pink Floyd, etc.) and electronic (Royksopp, Justice, Johann Johannsson, Gregor Samsa, Asobi Seksu) but I listen to vinyl ripped classical too. 

You went over my head with "preferred sound signature". haha sorry I'm still somewhat of a novice regarding audiophile terms. But if you mean warm and cool? I'm aiming for something flat. But if not I could do cooler, so that the music is warmer with reference headphones.

I'll be using them mainly in my non-sealed room and a sealed studio.

Appreciate the help!

Feb 17, 2012 at 2:01 AM Post #12,194 of 29,490

Quote:

Suggestions welcome.

I'm sure that you give it a little time and shop around, you will find a decent deal on one the Senns.  Late last summer you could snag a 518 for just under $100 shipped.

Instead of the Fischer FA-001, you might want to consider pre-ordering the Brainwavz HM5.  This 64 ohm can is said to be the clone of the perhaps even better Fischer FA-003. It has a shipped pre-order price just under $120--with shipping said to occur at the end of this month.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back