++ FULL-SIZE HEADPHONE RECOMMENDATIONS THREAD++ CLOSED: Please post a thread in the Introductions, Help and Advice forum
Jan 1, 2012 at 1:07 PM Post #10,621 of 29,490
I have HD650, Lehmann BCL and Icon HDP. I have owned this setup about a year now. I like the HD650 but I'm now absolutely sure I want headphones that are more neutral. I have around 1000€ saved up so I could buy the HD800, but I'm not sure if the HD800 is worth 1000€. Should I just rather go for HD600 or K-701?

Jan 1, 2012 at 1:11 PM Post #10,622 of 29,490

Quote:
anyone have a good recommendation for a good portable pair of full size headphones? Preferably keeping it under 200 dollars.

CALs (Creative Aurvana Live), closed, 32-Ohm, easy to drive, low price.
low price at Amazon and Creative Labs.

Denon AH-D1100, closed, bassy, only $107 at Electronics Expo, need to use the coupon code "BOUNTII"

Jan 1, 2012 at 1:18 PM Post #10,623 of 29,490

Quote:
Between a Shure SRH940 and an AKG Q701, which one is better in overall sound quality? If anyone has both can you highlight the pros and cons of each one? Asides from the obvious facts of: open vs closed, impedance difference.

Never used the SRH940 (42-Ohm) or Q701 (62-Ohm)
I believe (guess?) the AKG Q701 might be a little bit harder to drive then the SRH940.
And I'm not talking about the ohm difference.

Jan 1, 2012 at 2:11 PM Post #10,626 of 29,490
Looking for sub $100 bluetooth headphones or IEM's that would work for exercising and listening to music as well as microphone capabilities. 

Jan 1, 2012 at 2:58 PM Post #10,627 of 29,490

Quote:
I don't come to the full size forum much, I stay in the portable/IEM forum. I did some searching and haven't anything that is matching my needs.  I  have a $50 best buy gift card I got as a tip for some work I did, I would be willing to add $25 in cash to a pair of full size cans.  My musical preference is classical, treble head that likes an even frequency response across the range.  Any tips or suggestions for best buy?

Jan 1, 2012 at 3:04 PM Post #10,628 of 29,490

Quote:
So closed phones are considerably worse than the open ones?

erm almost everything - trance, hip-hop, linkin park.. also for movies, and gaming (Open or Closed for gaming?) such as Counter Strike ..., like hearing the footsteps and stuff liek that.. so thats pretty much it.

U told me nothing bout the HD 215s though?

Sorry dude, I was gone skiing. Back now :D. Sooo closed ones are not necessarily worse. Just ask yourself. WIll you be listening near other people? Do you need sound isolation? If you answered no to both then definitely get open. Whats better about open is that they have a much better soundstage. That is what being open gives them. For gaming you definitely want open.    As for the HD 215's, I don't know much about them, but I know the Fostex T50RP would be great headphones for the genres you listen to, and what you will use them for.  IF you need closed that is. The HD518 is much better for gaming and movies though, because they are open.  

Jan 1, 2012 at 3:17 PM Post #10,629 of 29,490
Pom and Kerry, could you clarify something about open backs for me please. Pom, you say opens are always better if the user is able to have them, so that's got me thinking more about looking at that type. You say opens have a better soundstage, but Kerry said Grado's may not have a soundstage good enough for movies and games.

So is that lack of soundstage/positioning more to do with Grado headphones themselves, or open back in general? If it's just the Grado's, then I may look at Beyer 880s, as the 770s seem to be getting very good comments for games and movies, so with the 880s being semi open, perhaps they'll be better for music. I know I'd be talking £200 rather than £130, but if it's worth it then I'm willing to pay it.

Jan 1, 2012 at 3:22 PM Post #10,630 of 29,490

Quote:
I need an advice for buying HiFi headphones. I dont have a lota money so thats the problem and thats the main reason Im looking for you to advise me.
So first of all I probably should tell you what I need my headphones to possess:
1) detachable cable (yeah, maybe youre making fun of me right now :D, im not sure why I always look for detachable cable, maybe cuz Ive already damaged pair(s) of headphones in the past..
2) ofc they should be full size (all over the ear)
3) large freq. response range
4) and ofc not too expensive :)
And BTW, I've read a looooooot about the 'Open vs Closed' debate and still not sure which one is better, but expect you to explain me that as well.. so yeah.
btw, what do you think of Sennheiser HD 215  ? (Yeah, im already fan of Sennheiser..)
need something in that price.. maaaaybe a little more expensive.. :)

Shures have a detachable cable.

Jan 1, 2012 at 3:27 PM Post #10,631 of 29,490

Quote:
Pom and Kerry, could you clarify something about open backs for me please. Pom, you say opens are always better if the user is able to have them, so that's got me thinking more about looking at that type. You say opens have a better soundstage, but Kerry said Grado's may not have a soundstage good enough for movies and games.

So is that lack of soundstage/positioning more to do with Grado headphones themselves, or open back in general? If it's just the Grado's, then I may look at Beyer 880s, as the 770s seem to be getting very good comments for games and movies, so with the 880s being semi open, perhaps they'll be better for music. I know I'd be talking £200 rather than £130, but if it's worth it then I'm willing to pay it.

Some closed backs have very good soundstage, no doubt.  Also, open headphones are not always better, but they are in most cases.  When Kerry said the Grados may not have good enough soundstage for gaming, that was just the Grados, not open in general.  I might be reading this incorrectly but you seem to think a large soundstage is bad for music. Correct me if im wrong but NO. The bigger the soundstage the better. You get more separation between instruments so it sounds less jumbled.  Correct me if

Jan 1, 2012 at 3:41 PM Post #10,633 of 29,490

Quote:
Sorry dude, I was gone skiing. Back now :D. Sooo closed ones are not necessarily worse. Just ask yourself. WIll you be listening near other people? Do you need sound isolation? If you answered no to both then definitely get open. Whats better about open is that they have a much better soundstage. That is what being open gives them. For gaming you definitely want open.    As for the HD 215's, I don't know much about them, but I know the Fostex T50RP would be great headphones for the genres you listen to, and what you will use them for.  IF you need closed that is. The HD518 is much better for gaming and movies though, because they are open.  

so you are saying that HD 518 are the best for me in that case? have you tried them out :)

Quote:
Shures have a detachable cable.

but which ones are perfect for my needs and ofc my price range ?

Jan 1, 2012 at 3:43 PM Post #10,634 of 29,490
The Beyer 880's are very good...I've considered them myself, but are out of my current price range for headphones.  You might need an amp for them however, in order to get the best quality sound output from them.  Most people recommend the 600 ohm version and it is reported to be similar to the 250 ohm version in power needed to drive it.  Don't know if your soundcard amp will drive them well.

And PomPWNius got it right.  The Grado's are something of an anomaly in open back headphones.  They are deliberately designed to have an in-your-face presentation, rather than the wide soundstage normally seen in open back headphones.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back