++ FULL-SIZE HEADPHONE RECOMMENDATIONS THREAD++ CLOSED: Please post a thread in the Introductions, Help and Advice forum
Dec 31, 2011 at 9:48 AM Post #10,576 of 29,490
Hi Guys, this site and its forums was recommended as the best place to get advice for any and all of your audio needs, so please help a fellow out!

I require a set of headphones, mostly for and movies/TV series and music (my genre choices are pretty broad and range from Sting & The Police, to Chemical Brothers & Infected Mushroom, to Metallica), with occasional chat (I have a separate mic for that). I am not a gamer. I am going to use them for about 6-8 hours daily, maybe more. My current headphones are the Jabra Halo which I found satisfactory for all my needs, but after 18 months of solid use, they won't charge anymore
frown.gif
(I blame the headband design for that). I am not necessarily looking for Bluetooth headsets, though, and my budget is around a 100$.

Please recommend
beyersmile.png

P.S.: I almost went for the Audio Technica AD700 until I read the reviews here and found that they are bass anemic. So, back to the square-one for me.

Dec 31, 2011 at 11:26 AM Post #10,577 of 29,490
I currently have the V MODA Crossfade LP's. I'm thinking of replacing them with something similar, but cost less. The V-MODA's were around $80.

I found out about Sony MDR XB500 and JVC HARX700. How do these compare with each other?

Oh yeah. If there's anything else that's better, feel free to drop a name/brand. My budget's under $50 and I prefer over the ear designs. Being able to block out outside noise would be a huge plus too.

Dec 31, 2011 at 1:17 PM Post #10,578 of 29,490
Hey I am getting my Shure SRH940 in the mail next week and want to get an amp next to help the SQ even more. i would like to spend below $50 but if you can convince me to spend more... then I  might.  I was looking at either the FiiO E6 or a cMoy. Probably the cMoy, people say its even better than the e11. Also, I love how it goes in an altoids tin! So is the cMoy a good choice? Are there any others?

Dec 31, 2011 at 1:45 PM Post #10,579 of 29,490

Quote:
Well I really prefer a clip-on Mic. I mean mostly my computer noise because Graphic Cards like to Roar when I am gaming. 

It might be more worthwhile to invest in case damping (or perhaps a quieter case).

Quote:
Hi Guys, this site and its forums was recommended as the best place to get advice for any and all of your audio needs, so please help a fellow out!

I require a set of headphones, mostly for and movies/TV series and music (my genre choices are pretty broad and range from Sting & The Police, to Chemical Brothers & Infected Mushroom, to Metallica), with occasional chat (I have a separate mic for that). I am not a gamer. I am going to use them for about 6-8 hours daily, maybe more. My current headphones are the Jabra Halo which I found satisfactory for all my needs, but after 18 months of solid use, they won't charge anymore
frown.gif
(I blame the headband design for that). I am not necessarily looking for Bluetooth headsets, though, and my budget is around a 100$.

Please recommend
beyersmile.png

P.S.: I almost went for the Audio Technica AD700 until I read the reviews here and found that they are bass anemic. So, back to the square-one for me.

Shure 440
Sony ZX700
Sony XB500/700

Quote:
Hey I am getting my Shure SRH940 in the mail next week and want to get an amp next to help the SQ even more. i would like to spend below $50 but if you can convince me to spend more... then I  might.  I was looking at either the FiiO E6 or a cMoy. Probably the cMoy, people say its even better than the e11. Also, I love how it goes in an altoids tin! So is the cMoy a good choice? Are there any others?

The Cmoy is a solid choice as long as it's well built. 

Dec 31, 2011 at 1:46 PM Post #10,580 of 29,490

Quote:
I currently have the V MODA Crossfade LP's. I'm thinking of replacing them with something similar, but cost less. The V-MODA's were around $80.

I found out about Sony MDR XB500 and JVC HARX700. How do these compare with each other?

Oh yeah. If there's anything else that's better, feel free to drop a name/brand. My budget's under $50 and I prefer over the ear designs. Being able to block out outside noise would be a huge plus too.

Well the Sony is very bass heavy. Neither isolates particularly well though. 

Dec 31, 2011 at 1:55 PM Post #10,581 of 29,490

I hear the 750 are really amp and source dependent. Will I be ok since I probably wont be getting an amp for a while.

Anyone have any opinions on the Audio Technica ATH-PRO700 MK2? 

blah, im going loco looking for headphones. So many choices lol
Quote:
Forget the Pro 550. The 750 and 900 are fairly similar to each other and out do the 550. If you like bass in your metal I think the 750 would do you well. The Pro 900 is too bass heavy for anything but EDM IMO.

The 750 is the only can I've owned twice and I loved it both times. Tons of attack and impact bu a more balanced sound than the Pro 900.

Dec 31, 2011 at 2:10 PM Post #10,582 of 29,490
Where did you hear that...? Because I completely disagree. I used mine with various portable DAPs, laptops, desktops, etc. and it sounded great out of all of them...and they don't improve that much through amping from my experience either. 

Sadly no opinions on the Pro700.

Quote:
I hear the 750 are really amp and source dependent. Will I be ok since I probably wont be getting an amp for a while.

Anyone have any opinions on the Audio Technica ATH-PRO700 MK2? 

blah, im going loco looking for headphones. So many choices lol

Dec 31, 2011 at 3:02 PM Post #10,584 of 29,490

Quote:

Sony is bass heavy? More so than the Crossfade's?

My main concern is which of the three isolates noise the best. If all three isolate pretty much the same, I'm probably just going to end up keeping the Crossfade's then.

One thing with the XB500, you can't hear anyone talking if you're playing some music, but any louder than a normal conversation, outside noise starts to leak in. It's very very comfy though.

Do note this is only a not so brief test in a sony shop, so take that as you may. No experience with the crossfades or jvc. I'd reccomend the Creative Aurvana Live! (CAL!) but it's more than $50, around $80.

Dec 31, 2011 at 4:40 PM Post #10,585 of 29,490

Quote:
acoustic research awd205 wireless?
foldable,in ear,but maybe wireless is an issue...

Wireless is more of a pain than worth generally. 

Quote:
That's a tough order... perhaps the AKG K81/518 which is right at your budget. Hard to gauge on the comfort though. On-ear with good isolation almost always means high clamping pressure, which typically becomes uncomfortable for most people. 

I figured it was. IF there are portable over ear phones that arent massive then id be open to them as well. But otherwise theyd be too big probably. Also idk if i mentioned but definately will not be using ANY kind of amp with them, so low ohm is a must. 

Any other suggestions? 

Dec 31, 2011 at 5:02 PM Post #10,586 of 29,490
One of the reviews on here said that. Although, they didnt say whether if they were the old blue ones or the new black ones.

Quote:
Where did you hear that...? Because I completely disagree. I used mine with various portable DAPs, laptops, desktops, etc. and it sounded great out of all of them...and they don't improve that much through amping from my experience either. 

Sadly no opinions on the Pro700.

Dec 31, 2011 at 5:10 PM Post #10,587 of 29,490

Hi all. I've been looking online at headphone information and have come across this site a few times and it looks really helpful, so signed up.

I created a new thread before spotting this one, so could a mod please delete that one? Apologies for that.

I currently have an Auzentech Xfi Forte sound card (with built in headphone amp). I bought a Razer Carcharias headset a few months ago as I had neither speakers or mic, but I know have a desktop mic so thinking about getting proper headphones. I tried my mates Grado SR80i the other day and they sound fantastic, as if you're there live with the musicians and can hear the drum hit, etc. They are lacking a little with the bass though, so have to turn that up on the card. In comparison, my Razers sound quite flat and flabby and my Bose on-ears have way way too much bass.

I want to try a few in some shops if I can, but don't really know where to start. There's probably a lot of brands I've never heard of. I listen to a lot of music (rock mainly but also hip hop and dance), watch movies and play games, all on my pc (flac, bluray and dvd). So I need something quite all round. I'm open to any type of headphone, be it closed or open back, willing to spend above £100 if needs be, but obviously don't want to spend over the odds just because of a brand name like Bose and Beats. I want something clear, well defined (but not tinny or harsh) and not booming bass, but punchy.

Hope this is enough info to be useful, if not, let me know. Cheers and happy new year!

Dec 31, 2011 at 6:40 PM Post #10,588 of 29,490

Quote:
It might be more worthwhile to invest in case damping (or perhaps a quieter case).

Hey. My ultimate goal is to not have my headphone always activated picking up my noise from my case. Will the Zalman clip on mic be able to do that? The issue is my teammates want my mic off as soon as they hear some random noise being picked up. Now the two mics I own (my webcam one) does this alot but I have a cheap 10 yr old mic that if I am dampen it does not pick up that much noise. I don't have an option to case dampen but what will pick the least amount of this noise so does not interrupt my game. Thank You! Have a Great New Year!

Dec 31, 2011 at 6:42 PM Post #10,589 of 29,490
Seeking a full-size can that sounds like Yuin OK1 earbuds (in the $500 price range).

I have two listening setups that use my iPhone4 with a Sendstation line out (most of my music is burned from CD in ALAC format, some of the better recordings are .WAV format..I don't use AAC at all) connected to an Electric Avenue PA2V2 amp. My home setup is running the OK1's and my office setup is running Yuin PK2's...I'm going to move the OK1's to my office and I want a comfy full size can for the home setup. I'm not good at describing sound but I really love the OK1, I feel that it does not color the sound too much but has great detail, soundstage and balance. I do have a pair of Sennheiser HD570's that I forgot about...I located them in my stereo closet last night and gave them a try... I can't tell you how disappointed I was with the sound...bloated bass, muted highs, very colored!!! I do like the comfort of the HD570. I was considering the HD650 but now I'm concerned they will have unnatural sounding bass and super colored sound. Even though I live in a major metropolitan area (Dallas/Fort Worth), I don't know of any place to go listen to headphones that are in the range I'm seeking??? 

Thanks and Happy New Year!!!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back